P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Electronic/Ambient/Krautrock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black Kommunion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recommended Klaus Schulze:

Mirage
X
Moondawn
Timewind
bolvark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah German Oak is a heavy recommendation...
even if their message sucks, I would like to recommend some of the swedish acts from 60/70s progressive scene like Pärson Sound, Älgarnas Trädgård, Fläsket brinner, International Harvester, Harvester, Träd Gräs och Stenar...
when it comes to kraut: Agitation Free (Malesch), Sand, Xhol Caravan, Neu, Paternoster...

however my warmest recommendation for those into these sounds is the 2LP from Sylvester Anfang II on Aurora Borealis.... this is one of my top 5 "kraut" records ever (they are a rather new band from belgium though)...
http://www.funeralfolk.tk/
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think German Oak had any sort of agenda, I just thought they sung about WWII...
bolvark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about the hippies in swedens progressive scene...
wish they would had the balls to write epic kraut anthems about WWII & nibelungenlied like german oak did... doubt they had any serious political intentions with it, probably just for the hell of it. I really like their first and second album...
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, didn't read it properly. Whoops. Laughing
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bolvark wrote:
yInternational Harvester, Harvester...

GOOD bands... some of the only stuff outside of Germany at the time who were able to compete with the Krauts as far as experimental/progressive music.

Kind of related, most of the big name British progressive rock groups from back then truly sucked in my opinion, it was too focused on musicianship and these complex neo-classical arrangements whereas the best German groups were trying to take music in a whole different direction...
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan_the_snake wrote:
Kind of related, most of the big name British progressive rock groups from back then truly sucked in my opinion, it was too focused on musicianship and these complex neo-classical arrangements whereas the best German groups were trying to take music in a whole different direction...

I totally disagree with that. The "classic" UK prog bands were just different to the Krautrock bands. It's like comparing black metal to death metal in 1993. Though they stemmed from the same thing, they were both different takes on a similar thing. I think there was still a lot of feeling even in the most complex bands like Yes and Emerson, Lake and Palmer. It was the 80s sell outs that those bands did, and the bands like Dream Theater that are the really soulless ones.
bolvark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember listening to an LP with Bodkin from Scotland that was some heavy shit.... some could enjoy it.
there is also a great band from serbia called Igra Staklenih Perli that I have a couple of lps with... first one is the best. also some quite interesting stories about the band that I read somewhere...

Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I kind of like what I've heard of Krautrock compared to UK bands, but having said that I think I just need to de-sensitize myself, dunno, maybe its a love of ambient and film soundtracks that make it this way.

Although I will say I love King Crimson and Yes. Need to spin my Camel 'Moonmadness' LP again too...

Rush however are probably my favourite prog band. Guess its 'cause its more song based and I'm probably still a bit of a prog wuss. Razz
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should buy 10 copies of Moonmadness and play them all until they won't play any more!

Rush out of all the "classic" prog bands were always the one I got least excited about.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of Hawkwind? Another band I will mention that I'm very keen on.

Made me want to play Moonmadness now when I get back from work... Wink
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Hawkwind! They don't strike me as a prog band as such except maybe on the really early stuff. They are really their own thing, more of a hard rock/proto metal band band I guess, like minimalist Deep Purple with electronics.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw them live which was pretty bangin'. Was a good outdoor gig but the plug got pulled 'cause some bitch accused a guy of trying to rape her round the portajohns so they had to cut their set by something like 2/3rds. Evil or Very Mad

What makes it worse was she was found out to be lying after a police investigation. To say I'm pissed off would be an understatement.
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
ryan_the_snake wrote:

I totally disagree with that. The "classic" UK prog bands were just different to the Krautrock bands. It's like comparing black metal to death metal in 1993. Though they stemmed from the same thing, they were both different takes on a similar thing. I think there was still a lot of feeling even in the most complex bands like Yes and Emerson, Lake and Palmer. It was the 80s sell outs that those bands did, and the bands like Dream Theater that are the really soulless ones.

Good point! Still the UK stuff doesn't grab me for the most part like the German bands. King Crimson is the exception, they were an incredible group. But yeah, stuff you mentioned like ELP and Yes has no "feeling" for me personally, it just seems like a technical showcase.
dronevil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood and Thunder wrote:
Kraftwerk 'The Man Machine' is exceptional! Anyone heard Big Black's version of 'The Model' from 'Songs About Fucking' - great original and cover!

If ever you can see Kraftwerk, I have to say it was a truly monumental experience. Especially when you're watching 4 guys play laptops he he.

saw them last year and it was an AWESOME experience, wouldnt call it a good "live" show tho since they are just standing with their laptop haha.

just in case is anyone getting the remaster box?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: