P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Ion Turntables?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Ion Turntables? Reply with quote

Here is the deal: thinking of getting rid of my Sansui Sr-929 turntable. It's a high end audiophile one that I can get a couple of hundred for. I figured it might be better to get something that's not as high maintenance and my stereo really isn't the best, so what's the point of an audiophile type turntable? It is a beauty though.

I'm thinking of selling it and buying one of these Ion ones for $100. Would it be a foolish move? Does anyone have one of these?
nexxxion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guy I know has one of these players with USB and they simply suck.
Better get an end 80ies Dual, high quality for a budget price.
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an Ion because of the low price, and I agree, it is not that great. Feels really cheap like it will break at any moment and it sounds like shit. Maybe with a better needle/cartridge it would be OK, but maybe not. I'd keep the old one.
Karan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one, one of the earlier models ION TTUSB, and so far it is quite a good experience. I have heard that later models were more fragile and had a lower sound output, but this one works fine. And after some few days, the Audacity software becomes easy to use.
used as a normal turntable it is a slight above average unit, but will do the trick.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's put it this way: A good friend of mine has an ION, and I have one of those old briefcase style library rental turntables kicking around that sounds better.
Kakarot SS5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im very happy with my Sony turntable I bought in a second hand store for 30 usd in mint condition, thanx GOD Twisted Evil my stereo system is also Sony so I had the chance to complete that set...

6-7 years since then and nothing to complain about...

Trade/Sale:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40729
vugelnox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ion Turntables? Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:
Here is the deal: thinking of getting rid of my Sansui Sr-929 turntable. It's a high end audiophile one that I can get a couple of hundred for. I figured it might be better to get something that's not as high maintenance and my stereo really isn't the best, so what's the point of an audiophile type turntable? It is a beauty though.

I'm thinking of selling it and buying one of these Ion ones for $100. Would it be a foolish move? Does anyone have one of these?

you can get some fairly choice speakers for under $200, I'd go that route instead and get more use out of what you have now as that is quite a nice turntable you have there.
Allowance of Sin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of Ion turntables. They are some sort of DJ package, though not the type that is used for scratching type of stuff. so I use one for listening and one for cleaning, the mixer is cool too since I can control the EQ super easy. I think they sound great and I haven't had any problems with them in the 4 years I have had them. Only thing I've done is swap out the cartridges, and even the original ones sounded fine.
Hobophobic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ion Turntables? Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:

it would be a foolish move brotha. it would be a lot smarter to just upgrade your stereo reciever and speakers than to get rid of a high end turntable. i mean, you could even hook up your computer to your stereo system to hear your digital music in high quality.
peterott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nexxxion wrote:

Good luck finding a Dual for 110V/50Hz.
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allowance of Sin wrote:
I have a pair of Ion turntables. They are some sort of DJ package, though not the type that is used for scratching type of stuff. so I use one for listening and one for cleaning, the mixer is cool too since I can control the EQ super easy. I think they sound great and I haven't had any problems with them in the 4 years I have had them. Only thing I've done is swap out the cartridges, and even the original ones sounded fine.

Maybe the older ones were made better, I got mine just a few months ago...
nexxxion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterott wrote:
nexxxion wrote:

US is 110/60 if memory serves me well.
Anyway, electronic shops can do this (voltage converter).
peterott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nexxxion wrote:
peterott wrote:
nexxxion wrote:

US is 110/60 if memory serves me well.
Anyway, electronic shops can do this (voltage converter).

Yes, Europe is 50Hz, sorry.

With a converter you convert voltage (boost it up 110=>220 or or step it down from 220 => 110), but do you convert frequency ? There is no clock conversion included in these cheap converters.

In case of a record player this will not work I presume. (Stroboscope is running on the net frequency, and depending on the electronics also other parts that determine the 33/45 speed are running on netfrequency).
nexxxion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you just need the right component to convert voltage and frequency. Hifi mailorders in Europe advertise it for American customers.

Not sure but I think Dual players don't have a chip that uses net frequency for timing, they should measure using their internal circuit and good ole quartz crystals or oscillators. Those chips are used in more modern electronic tools.
Allowance of Sin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan_the_snake wrote:
Allowance of Sin wrote:

Maybe the older ones were made better, I got mine just a few months ago...

yeah I took a look at some of the newer ones and mine are definitely not like that. mine are just standard belt drive decks, nothing fancy about them at all. based on looks alone I'd say mine look like their more solid than the newer ones. I'll post a pic if I decide to quit being lazy.

my opinion however is probably to stick with what you have. if you have a high end deck then why replace it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: