P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Destroyed by post stories
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotBlack wrote:
Piotr Sargnagel wrote:
Maybe it's just something with countries that aren't densely populated? People care more for other's possessions? I don't know, just a theory.

I'm living in Osaka Japan, I'd say its pretty densely populated Very Happy

...if a package is Registered or doesn't fit in your mailbox they leave a "You have a package" form in your mailbox with the packages' info, a delivery number and a phone # to call. You can take the slip and get the package yourself from a 24hr window at the post or you can call and they will bring it out to you as late as 9pm.

I have had a couple items arrive brutalized but I highly doubt it was by the local postal system... in fact, a package with a t-shirt and a CD in it arrived at my door with a note on it saying they were "...very sorry for REPACKAGING my items, but they had arrived in an undeliverable condition". The shirt had a bit of dust or dirt on it, washed off no problem, the CD was fine...

Japan post rules.
Customs does like to open my packages a lot now though since the 9/11 bullshit. They are always carefully opened though, properly resealed, labeled as having been inspected and nothing has ever been missing.

Having a 24 hour pickup for packages is fucking amazing. I don't even mind waiting the extra day if I get a slip on the doorstep, but damn, if I was in Japan I would be spoiled as hell. It's 2AM and I just got home after working and going straight to the bar? Fuck yeah I'm going to get my records.... Shocked
morbiddeceiver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received Darkthrone 'Panzerfaust' LP from Germany packed in a bubble wrap mailer about 6 years ago. Arrived bent to hell, of course.
probert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper's Grave wrote:
What kind of rural towns do you guys live in? I live in New Hampshire...while I live in the most populated city the PO box that would fit LP costs about $820/year...but when I go out to the cow towns we have, i can get them for as low as about $200/year...but I have yet to find anything less within 10 miles. And here me and my girlfriend thought $200/year was a deal after seeing what my nearest post office charges.

you dont need a po box that fits an LP.. at least here. if there is an oversized package they leave a slip in your po box and you go to the desk and they get it for you. ive ordered HUNDREDS maybe thousands in the past couple of years and only didnt receive an LP once (though i think it was the lazy sellers fault, i dont think it was ever sent).
toilet_loiterer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you think about it, the Postal Service really has you over a fucking barrell. So you are paying for the service of having a package sent that may or may not arrive to the destination and along the way might happen to get damaged. Pay them even more money for insurance, and you might get some of it back should they lose it, steal it, drop it or run over it.
You don't go to a restaurant and they 'might' bring you your meal, or ask you to pay twice as much to guarantee you will get what you have ordered.
Sadly I think a lot of postal employees (bar Fenriz of course) take after this gent-
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that being said, places like Canada, tampering with/stealing/or in any way hindering mail is a Federal offense if caught. The penalty to pay for a measly theft of a record or cd is not worth it.
You can take your chances stealing from the local mall and risk alot less for the same crap.
So generally theft from the postal system is not something to fear. Incompetance though is perhaps another story. Wink

My ex's brother was a mail man, a lazy one. He stopped deliverying flyers and was caught. He was in alot of shit just for crap no one ever wants delivered anyways. I was quite surprised.
dimensional

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about 2/3rds of my entire collection due to Hurricane Katrina.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimensional wrote:

That would be and is ...fucking harsh man.
I do not know where I would even start trying to recover from something like that.
dimensional

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most prized and treasured albums, I guess. I've been reluctant the past 4 years to really start buying a ton of albums because I sort of got put off from the whole ordeal. Now I really only have about 50 or so that I've recovered and still a lot more to go to get all of them back, some were irreplaceable or otherwise just damn expensive.. Just gotta move on.
Mordbrann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antibody wrote:
Had one record arrive and something had pierced right through the mailer and the LP sleeve, luckily missed the record by a hairs breadth.
Great story from an old neighbor / friend of mine which may explain holes in parcels. Back during 'Nam he worked in the post office. Of course soldiers were sending some interesting *ahem* stuff through the mail back then. Procedure would be to stab said parcel with a pencil and sniff for drugs. if drugs == true package goes missing. If drugs == false, package goes on as expected.

Mordbrann 001: Beneath (ISL) - Hollow Empty Void
Good traders: Wrathorn [3×], headnhalf, addison, leizla
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
HotBlack wrote:
Piotr Sargnagel wrote:
Maybe it's just something with countries that aren't densely populated? People care more for other's possessions? I don't know, just a theory.

I'm living in Osaka Japan, I'd say its pretty densely populated Very Happy

...if a package is Registered or doesn't fit in your mailbox they leave a "You have a package" form in your mailbox with the packages' info, a delivery number and a phone # to call. You can take the slip and get the package yourself from a 24hr window at the post or you can call and they will bring it out to you as late as 9pm.

I have had a couple items arrive brutalized but I highly doubt it was by the local postal system... in fact, a package with a t-shirt and a CD in it arrived at my door with a note on it saying they were "...very sorry for REPACKAGING my items, but they had arrived in an undeliverable condition". The shirt had a bit of dust or dirt on it, washed off no problem, the CD was fine...

Japan post rules.
Customs does like to open my packages a lot now though since the 9/11 bullshit. They are always carefully opened though, properly resealed, labeled as having been inspected and nothing has ever been missing.

Having a 24 hour pickup for packages is fucking amazing. I don't even mind waiting the extra day if I get a slip on the doorstep, but damn, if I was in Japan I would be spoiled as hell. It's 2AM and I just got home after working and going straight to the bar? Fuck yeah I'm going to get my records.... Shocked

When I think of Japan though, I always think of super polite, well organised and dedicated, hard working people! This system sounds great!
iron tyrant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I have yet to find a Japanese person that doesn't live up to his word 110%. Their dedication, respect and general behaviour are impressive.

Professor Black wrote:
NWOBHM is not a style of music.
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iron tyrant wrote:
Yeah. I have yet to find a Japanese person that doesn't live up to his word 110%. Their dedication, respect and general behaviour are impressive.

hear hear! This is 100% true!
HotBlack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piotr Sargnagel wrote:
When I think of Japan though, I always think of super polite, well organised and dedicated, hard working people! This system sounds great!

iron tyrant wrote:

In general, I have to agree on both counts Cool

The post here is amazing, I dread thinking of the day when I have to return home...but it will have to happen eventually.

*edit* Joy! came home to my Pyöveli T-shirt in the mailbox, that was 5days from sent to delivered Cool

fucking love Pyöveli!
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimensional wrote:

Where do/did you live for the storm?
Goab

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samoth was smart enough to send me a copy of the Arcturus "Reconstellation" LP on a kraft bubble envelope instead of using a recod mailer. Imagine how it arrived...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: