P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Faking it?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Faking it? Reply with quote

Quote:

Did you ever get that sneaking suspicion that some metalheads are "faking it"?

Sure, they have bought all the right things. They have the posters on the walls, the tshirts, the CDs and rare vinyl and maybe even some classic demos.

But they're faking it and you can tell because they don't understand metal as being different from rock music, indie, emo, punk -- you name it!

They've picked metal as an identity, because they need some cause in order to claim their lives have meaning, but they don't seem to understand it at all.

It's like they're spectators at an art gallery who say "I like the red one; red's my favorite color!" or tourists visiting a battlefield when they can't remember who the two sides were. It's like they're not actually engaged with life itself much at all, but want to dress up like metalheads so we think they are.

Faking it

Yep, the one reason I don't look forward to metalfests.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting this as nicely as possible: if I wanted to read ANUS, I'd be on that site instead of this one. I don't think we need this many cross-posts.
Blasphemophizer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the term is.... a poser? Laughing

Many people get into Metal these days just because some of the mainstream stuff like Cannibal Corpse, and Behemoth is trendy now. Many of them probably don't actully like Metal.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of Cannibal Corpse as mainstream stuff. I mean the gross-out factor has a certain broad appeal because teenage boys love guts and dead babies... but mainstream? Hmm.

Coming soon to a theater near you: "Tomb of the Mutilated, the Musical!" Starring Miley Cyrus as Sexy Corpse, Zac Efron as the zombie, and Tom Hanks as the stern but lovable teacher who unites them through their mutual love of singing, dancing, and devouring intestines. Serious Oscar buzz is already building for Miley and Phil Collins' melodious take on "I Cum Blood."
nz¨mbe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posers exist in every sub-culture. I even think the Hip Hop- and Hardcore/Screamo-culture (I'm not talking about those MTV-metalcore-dipshits) are far worse infected by this problem.
Opolus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10000 % agreed!!!! There are zillions of examples around...and the picture in the link is just a bloody prime example I'm afraid (actually I'm not, but...!! Cool
VATRA I SUMPOR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

posers must exist... it's lame, but that's called balance.

if there are zero posers, what would real metal bands wrote and sing about?
nz¨mbe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheo wrote:
posers must exist... it's lame, but that's called balance.

if there are zero posers, what would real metal bands wrote and sing about?

Well, the things they were focussing on in the first place I guess.

/edit: Although, when I think about it in a larger context - you may even be right. Very Happy
VATRA I SUMPOR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i didn't explained it well, but you get my point Very Happy
mithrandir

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the real question would be, why do posers, not realize they are posers?

many exist here too I'll bet! Shocked
NAGAWIKA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me, there is people who love music and there is people who don't really (or just at first degree) basically. lot of people come into a scene (metal or whatever) just to be a part of a community. i hate that concept actually, i though metal was against that kind of thing.
Opolus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAGAWIKA wrote:
for me, there is people who love music and there is people who don't really (or just at first degree) basically. lot of people come into a scene (metal or whatever) just to be a part of a community. i hate that concept actually, i though metal was against that kind of thing.

Very accurate point, although I would've hoped, that you'd make that particular point clear via a new comic!! Razz
NAGAWIKA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opolus wrote:
NAGAWIKA wrote:

Very accurate point, although I would've hoped, that you'd make that particular point clear via a new comic!! Razz

unfortunately, days only have 24 hours...
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use of the term poser and the whole faking it commentary is often misused I think, too eagerly applied in many cases as well because the 'troo' and 'kvlt' are so eager to prove their trooness and kvltness by quickly labeling anyone and everyone around them as poser or a faker.

Just cause someone never heard Beherit until maybe the new album came out, and then became a fan and then bought a bunch of old shirts is not exactly a poser, maybe a little over eager and a little corny but they may very well be 100% devoted and passionate. They are just late on the boat. Not a poser by any means.

Personally I think the only time 'poser' can be labeled to anyone is probably when this comment comes out : "I grew up and grew out of that stuff, cut my hair you know cause I've grown up bla bla bla bla etc etc"

That to me is about the only poser out there. Until that I assume everyone is into what they are actually listening to, unless of course you bump into them at a local mall and they are all dressed like a hip hop guy, crooked trucker hat, large white baseball NY jersey etc etc and baggy jeans hanging low... when at shows they stand and grimace arms crossed like the kvlt... that too raises my eyebrow. Confused However I do expect mature and older people to have more than one interest, sometimes the crossovers just shock me though.
PhantomOTO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shocking revelations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: