P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Swedish Death Metal (the book)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Swedish Death Metal (the book) Reply with quote

Has anyone read this? Opinions?
3. Memes
4. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
Lutfor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a damn better read than the Italian guy's. Ekeroth's book is centralized on two things primarily: how Death Metal began and endures in Sweden, and the lasting impact of Entombed. The Italian's is about demos, and features pictures of the real things, to help readers avoid bootlegs. He (the Italian) lets his interviews do all of the narration. He doesn't supply any of his own notes.
frostjunkie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm halfway through this book right now and can't recommend it enough.
Sacrilegio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swedish Death Metal is a fucking amazing book! I cannot stress it enough! If you're interested in how the scene came to be, the stories(Bajsligan and so on), the people, the historical but important facts(Entombed's first record deal) and so on I urge you to buy the book.

Nicola's book(the "Italian guy") is more for collectors and diehards. He thoroughly describes what the original demos of these bands looks like, and has in depth interviews with bands like Treblinka, Utumno, and so on. Mainly you buy Nicola's book if you don't want to get robbed on ebay and so on or if you want to find out extra information on your favorite band.
Lutfor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacrilegio wrote:
Swedish Death Metal is a fucking amazing book! I cannot stress it enough! If you're interested in how the scene came to be, the stories(Bajsligan and so on), the people, the historical but important facts(Entombed's first record deal) and so on I urge you to buy the book.

Nicola's book(the "Italian guy") is more for collectors and diehards. He thoroughly describes what the original demos of these bands looks like, and has in depth interviews with bands like Treblinka, Utumno, and so on. Mainly you buy Nicola's book if you don't want to get robbed on ebay and so on or if you want to find out extra information on your favorite band.

Exactly. Couldn't have put it better myself. I tried, but I couldn't. Laughing
manes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: swedish death Reply with quote

those are 2 different books which treat the Swedish death metal under two different sides, they can be complementary. One can't say which one is better due to this fact, Nicola anyway wrote an excellent book which just deals with the demo period of time of the multiple bands, showing to the whole world pics of his immense collection with a kinda fanzine format. We are talking about a man, an Italian man, who has been into the scene since the beginning, he is not one of those posers who want to know everything and know nothing not having an idea about it, he is also the man behind Disincarnate comp. so, personally, one who is far ahead of the majority out there.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to get both ASAP. Now all that needs to be done is a book on Finnish death metal. Very Happy
Wraith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book is very good. Sadly I am not that much into Swedish Death Metal.

"Lords of Chaos" should have been like this. Or Matthias Herr's "Black Metal Bible".
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Lords of Chaos was more an outsider looking in as a journalist rather than a guide book.
Wraith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. And this is why I said "It should have been like this".
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well no one's stopping you or anyone else here having a crack at it. Wink After all the Svensk Dodsmetal book was a means for a fan to write a book about a genre he was passionate about and he went ahead and did it.
Wraith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, you don't seem to understand me. Or is it the other way?
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I understand perfectly what you're trying to say, but really if you don't want a social history then don't read it. It was written by outsiders most likely for outsiders.

Having said that I would like someone to give black metal a similar focus that these Swedish death metal books have, but which scene do you cover? I mean there is a large Eastern European scene, Finland and Sweden have large scenes (left out Norway as I'm bored of people going about that country and for the most part they're not producing many bands these days anyway. Plus we all know about it...) Sweden and Finland were quite distinctive and well thought of when it came to death metal. Black metal however is a bit more difficult from what I can gather.
Caina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Lords of Chaos is that it fails both as a social history, an analysis of the genre and an introduction to n00comers. It's essentially a pisspoor true-crime book with some pretentious and incongruous psychoanalytic essays shoved in it at random. However, I still prefer it to 'Choosing Death', the book essentially postulating that Napalm Death are the most important band in the history of music, to the extent that they have to be mentioned at least twelve times on every fucking page. Honestly, if he wanted to write about ND, why didn't he just write it about them?!

www.myspace.com/cainaband
http://www.last.fm/user/WilburWhateley

Good traders/sellers: Yosuke, Grief, s.charlach x2, Blekt , headnhalf x2, destrucSEAN, Sadovahr x3, GROUND ZERO Entertainment, Ykh
Wraith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*my browser fucked up*

Last edited by Wraith on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: