P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Dual Discs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Dual Discs Reply with quote

Does anyone here own one of these? Earache is
pimping their old titles with music on one side and
interviews / live shows on the other. I have read
a lot of negative stuff
about these specifically how the Cd's do not follow
red book specs. Any experiences?
GROUND ZERO Entertainment

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a live WARLOCK from 1985 at CAMDEN PALACE, and a live GIRLSCHOOL from the same time frame, by the same manufacturer on DUALDISC...
Both have the LIVE DVD on one side & audio on the other & both have played fine on different players....
www.red-sky-design.com/GZEmailorder.htm
Good Trades: NWN! / H.H.R. / No Sign Of Life / LIE IN RUINS / BLOOD HARVEST / Asphyxiate / Prof. BLACK / Axa Valaha / Bloody Prod. / SONIC TEMPLE / Kuravilu / Death Dealer
Kakarot SS5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard some guys they have problems to play the DVD simply their devices does not recognize the CD, maybe a manufacturer problem, since that comments I avoid CD/DVD dual format

Also have Ozzy Live & Loud DVD dual but both sides are DVD nothing to complain about it...

Trade/Sale:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40729
dronevil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think those dualdiscs are slightly thicker than regular cds, that's probably why some older players have problem reading them...
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TWISTED SISTER Live in Wacken Dual Disc, plays fine in both DVD players I have and the audio side in my CD players.
Too Dark Park

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D E V O-"LIVE 1980"
Humus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Napalm death 'Scum' on dualdisc from Earache. The documentary part is nice but indeed, the CD side doesn't play on all my CD-players.
Uncolored

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
I have Napalm death 'Scum' on dualdisc from Earache. The documentary part is nice but indeed, the CD side doesn't play on all my CD-players.

I got that one too but I gave it to a friend of mine. it played only in my pc and was too tick to enter in my dvd player!

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand
duff138

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
i think those dualdiscs are slightly thicker than regular cds, that's probably why some older players have problem reading them...

They are not thicker, DVD Plus uses a thicker disc. From wikipedia:

"The challenge for the designers of DualDisc was to produce a dual-sided disc which was not too thick to play reliably in slot-loading drives, while the CD side was not too thin to be tracked easily by the laser. DVD Plus, though conceptually similar, uses a thicker CD layer and thus is more likely to get stuck in a slot-loading player (although this appears to be almost unknown); DualDisc takes the other course by thinning the CD layer.

Because the 0.9 mm thickness of the DualDisc CD layer does not conform to Red Book CD Specifications, which call for a layer no less than 1.1 mm thick, some CD players may not be able to play the CD side of a DualDisc due to a phenomenon called spherical aberration. As a result, the laser reading the CD side might get a "blurry" picture of the data on the disc - the equivalent of a human reading a book with glasses of the wrong strength. Engineers have tried to get around this by making the pits in the CD layer larger than on a conventional CD. This makes the CD side easier for the laser to read - equivalent to the book using bigger print to make it easier to see, even if the person's glasses are of the wrong strength. The downside to this, however, is that the playing time for the CD layer of some early DualDiscs decreased, from the standard 74 minutes of a conventional CD, to around 60 minutes, although this early limitation now appears to have been overcome.

Because the DualDisc CD layer does not conform to Red Book specifications, Philips and Sony have refused to allow DualDisc titles to carry the CD logo and most DualDiscs contain one of two warnings:

"This disc is intended to play on standard DVD and CD players.
May not play on certain car, slot load players and mega-disc changers."
"The audio side of this disc does not conform to CD specifications and therefore not all DVD and CD players will play the audio side of this disc." "
Saevus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate them with a passion and avoid them. They always seem to get horribly, horribly scratched very quickly, no matter how well to take care of them.
throneofmight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saevus wrote:
I hate them with a passion and avoid them. They always seem to get horribly, horribly scratched very quickly, no matter how well to take care of them.

Totally true Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Matt Foley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saevus wrote:

I recently ordered the CATHEDRAL "Forest of Equilibrium" UK dualdisc reissue from Earache USA, and the DVD side of the disc was already scratched when it arrived. I let Earache know about it, and they replaced it with the US CD+DVD version and let me keep the UK version. Very Happy
throneofmight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Foley wrote:
Saevus wrote:

I recently ordered the CATHEDRAL "Forest of Equilibrium" UK dualdisc reissue from Earache USA, and the DVD side of the disc was already scratched when it arrived. I let Earache know about it, and they replaced it with the US CD+DVD version and let me keep the UK version. Very Happy

Matt, I just sent you a PM, please check it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ticino1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two of this sort, one is a Berzerker album an the other is the last work of At The Gates. I still didn't listen to them, but I stay sceptic. I am worried about the shorter live of the DVD medium compared to the CD. I will listen/look to them and then swap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: