P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Having to sell one's own collection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does nobody actually save $$$ for an emergency anymore? I know some countries dont have easily accesible welfare support if you lose your job, but what happened to the idea of keeping 3 months salary in the bank all the time in case this shit happens? Its a hard habit to get into, but saving 10-20% every month soon stacks up into a decent buffer to get you through tough times.

If I got into that position (touch wood), and I had to resort to selling my posessions, I'd feel like part of the fault was my own for not planning for emergencies.

That said, its a shitty situation all round at the moment, and I hope things get better for you without needing to resort to selling your collection.
Mordbrann

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisifer wrote:
I have applied to some very embarrassing places and not gotten a call back.
Call them back. Be aggressive. I know it's simple, but some really do make a decision based on that stuff.

Mordbrann 001: Beneath (ISL) - Hollow Empty Void
Good traders: Wrathorn [3◊], headnhalf, addison, leizla
Mordbrann

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
does nobody actually save $$$ for an emergency anymore? I know some countries dont have easily accesible welfare support if you lose your job, but what happened to the idea of keeping 3 months salary in the bank all the time in case this shit happens? Its a hard habit to get into, but saving 10-20% every month soon stacks up into a decent buffer to get you through tough times.
Nobody saves anymore. Some are just fools with money, but the easy availability of credit cards and the "buy buy buy" mentality here has made it difficult. So many people here (NorCal) live in apartments but are always leasing new cars (gotta maintain an image of wealth on the road) and arrive home everyday with fast food. Think of how much they'd save if they cut out those two vulgar habits alone!

Mordbrann 001: Beneath (ISL) - Hollow Empty Void
Good traders: Wrathorn [3◊], headnhalf, addison, leizla
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:

If I got into that position (touch wood), and I had to resort to selling my posessions, I'd feel like part of the fault was my own for not planning for emergencies.

That said, its a shitty situation all round at the moment, and I hope things get better for you without needing to resort to selling your collection.

In a perfect world..........
Due to the Economy and shitty unemployment payment,
3 months salary is irrelevant to someone
that might have lost their job in April or may
and is still unemployed. Sad
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harsh man. I don't think we're really seeing the worst of it down here in Australia yet- luckily the minerals boom seems to be holding things together a bit. But advertised vacancies are around 40% down from last year, so I'd really hate to be looking right now. I'm not immediately worried about my job, but I have to take the "buffer zone" thing pretty seriously. If I fuck up and the moneys not rolling in I could lose the house. Every month that goes past is a little closer to being finished though, so at least there's an end in sight (about 2 years away though!)
anarchometal666

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, I don't need a bank to save me my money because I can do that myself. Maybe I'm over-paranoid about it, but I have no trust in banks anyway.

Also, I don't see a need for a bank assistance to help me to save my own money because it can't actually. I can save money on a lot of things which I don't really need or want. I don't see it as a "miserable starving" or something like that but as a acting in a less consumerist way. For example, if I want records - I don't need to spend my money on expensive junk/fast food. I can prepare and cook food by myself and it's even much cheaper and healthier.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things like this make it worth it to buy 1 or 2 copies of black metal kvlt items. Once sold out the prices fetch at least $50-75 a piece, so even a blind purchase will help and you don't sacrifice true rarities for well being.

I wonder if those with FOH LP would choose to starve on the streets rather than part with it though. Laughing
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anarchometal666 wrote:
In my case, I don't need a bank to save me my money because I can do that myself. Maybe I'm over-paranoid about it, but I have no trust in banks anyway.

Also, I don't see a need for a bank assistance to help me to save my own money because it can't actually. I can save money on a lot of things which I don't really need or want. I don't see it as a "miserable starving" or something like that but as a acting in a less consumerist way. For example, if I want records - I don't need to spend my money on expensive junk/fast food. I can prepare and cook food by myself and it's even much cheaper and healthier.

Depending on what country or how the system works there, trusting a bank can be dangerous in bad times. In the USA are not some banks privately owned branch's ? If they go broke that means there is no money to pay out peoples accounts ? ...and no federal back up or shared investment between multiple branch's ?
In Canada this is not such a worry, there are no family owned banks that I know of. A bank cannot just claim bankruptcy, if your money is lost through the bank that means Mad Max lifestyle is pretty close behind cause the entire government and country has fallen apart and failed. ...money would then be useless paper again anyways.

I've pretty much for the first time in my life put a savings away that could carry me three months or more if I really trimmed the fat so to speak from my lifestyle. However the prospect of being unemployed is not something I think I could handle well, I've held steady jobs since I was 13.
...however all that being said we had the hugest fucking fire at work here last week. Burned about 5 million dollars worth of investment, I worked a 17hr day fighting the damned thing.
There's only been a couple times I feared the plant shutting it's gates for good, this is one of them. Confused
Insurance should cover it, it just depends on the federal interest if they deem the facility safe enough to continue etc etc
This fire is bound to cause some misery since the system was supposed to be corrected to a new engineered change a few years ago already at a previous fire, a lesser fire then mind you. This fire pretty much melted the structural design around it in that tower. Wink
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted (same post twice)

Last edited by Heliogabalus on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone here has valid points
and good suggestions.
I'm very lucky... so far
I hate that you have to sell your collection
and I hope you can find a job.
I really don't have many rarities that would
get me through a tough period except for
southern lord stuff that I bought to later resell
on ebay for music more suited to my taste.
The jobless rate has reached 10% in some places
here in the good ol' US and A.
USA USA USA!!! god shed his grace on thee!!!

Very Happy Very Happy
anarchometal666

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
Depending on what country or how the system works there, trusting a bank can be dangerous in bad times. In the USA are not some banks privately owned branch's ? If they go broke that means there is no money to pay out peoples accounts ? ...and no federal back up or shared investment between multiple branch's ?
In Canada this is not such a worry, there are no family owned banks that I know of. A bank cannot just claim bankruptcy, if your money is lost through the bank that means Mad Max lifestyle is pretty close behind cause the entire government and country has fallen apart and failed. ...money would then be useless paper again anyways.

Believe it or not my friend, but I actually DID experienced that very situation when money became useless paper. It was a totally realistic picture of Serbia around 1993/94, no shit. Whole nation just FOOLED and left to starve by government and banks (BOTH "private" and officially state owned banks).

That's the reason why I will never ever have any trust in banks, no matter how over-paranoid I may look. I don't own a credit card, I don't think I even need one. I want for banks to stay away from my cash as much as possible, don't need their assistance.

Demoniarch wrote:

I've pretty much for the first time in my life put a savings away that could carry me three months or more if I really trimmed the fat so to speak from my lifestyle. However the prospect of being unemployed is not something I think I could handle well, I've held steady jobs since I was 13.

I don't think that anyone could handle unemployement very well today. Those who claim that they can, they either lie or they are rich upper-class kids.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been unemployed since January, and I have applied to everything from office jobs similar to the one I lost to sandwich and coffee shops. I would say I have applied to an average of about 5 jobs a week, and I have gotten absolutely nothing. I have gotten a hell of a lot of replies that say "sorry, this job has been eliminated due to budget issues."
This shit is getting tougher every day. I happen to live in a really shitty place for jobs, but I imagine other cities aren't doing much better...
The best thing to do is figure out some kind of skill you can learn online so in the meantime you can at least be making yourself more employable. Long periods of stagnation look bad on your apps...

Ok enough job counseling from my dumb ass... Razz
dronevil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Having to sell one's own collection Reply with quote

Wilhelm wrote:

I've been selling off my music collection over the course of a couple years while keeping just the few albums I really like and converting the rest to mp3s. The reason is not to make money- I'm merely making a little money back, while loosing the rest- but to make space for other things in my house. Having a physical music item is just not as important to me now as it was 10-15 years ago.

in that case i think you should just stick on downloading music rather than buy and resell them...
luisifer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it. Reading this thread has made me feel a lot better about my situation. I'm trying to figure out a way to avoid selling everything. I'm going to sell shirts and the things I don't mind parting with first. I have a lot of cool items going up on eBay right now (PM for info). I actually got a job interview tomorrow! I secured a few different loans as well! Things are looking up... Very Happy
nzýmbe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisifer wrote:
I actually got a job interview tomorrow!

Wish you the best of luck for that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: