P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Anathema
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly the early stuff for me; The Silent Enigma and Pentecost III being my favourites. Some great Into the Pandemonium vibes on those.

Can't really get into the newer stuff although I know many who prefer it, just not for me... some good songs here and there though.

Aeonblade wrote:
Hyper distorted go nowhere songs with feedback sections. It's like everything wrong with doom.
sztorm75

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentecost III and We Are The Bible EP are their best. Pentecost has one of the greatest doom songs ever..."Mine is yours". Too bad they fired old vocalist and became Pink Floyd rip-off...
Kapalika

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sztorm75 wrote:
Too bad they fired old vocalist and became Pink Floyd rip-off...

A good friend put it this way: He sounded like a drunk brit coming home at 3 o“clock at parts.

Having said that, he did a solid job, Pentecost III is also one of my faves but in the end The Silent Enigma is their best to me, great vocals on that one also in my opinion.
passetiermes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info & recommendations, I'll check out some of the later albums for sure.
Regarding We Are The Bible, I'll wait until I find the ep. I have the Serenades on cass & LP & CD, so don't feel like bying it again.
I googled some of the vinyl pressings, Eternity really seems to be hard to find. Did not find any places selling it, not even at irrational prices.
Whereas Alternative 4 is available everywhere at very reasonable prices.
Too bad I never saw them live in the 90s. They released that live video from Poland, been watching that every once in a while.

As for A Fine Day To Exist, know idea is it hard to find at all, but here's at least one place where to find it :
http://www.pinkmoonrecords.com/carrello.asp?tquantita=1&id=3807&prov=EXT&submitButtonName=Send&x=19&y=1

Pentecost III, was there just this promo version when it comes to vinyl:
http://www.popsike.com/ANATHEMA-PENTECOST-III-EP-VINYL-white-label-UNPLAYED/4050573472.html
PhantomOTO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapalika wrote:
sztorm75 wrote:

A good friend put it this way: He sounded like a drunk brit coming home at 3 o“clock at parts.

Having said that, he did a solid job, Pentecost III is also one of my faves but in the end The Silent Enigma is their best to me, great vocals on that one also in my opinion.

He's not nearly as bad as the guy from Enchantment's harsh voice. I think those guys would be more well-regarded if they had a better growler or if he had just stuck to cleaner tones. Their one album is musically very cool.
Mikael

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

passetiermes wrote:
Eternity really seems to be hard to find. Did not find any places selling it, not even at irrational prices.

That was indeed absurdly hard to find. One Finnish guy traded it to me along with the Katatonia - Dance of December Souls LP.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

passetiermes wrote:

Pentecost III, was there just this promo version when it comes to vinyl:
http://www.popsike.com/ANATHEMA-PENTECOST-III-EP-VINYL-white-label-UNPLAYED/4050573472.html

WOW never seen that- definately didn't come out on vinyl and that seems to be the testpress as it has the Mayking labels- Peaceville white labels have just plain white lables (I have Darkthrone, Anathema and My Dying Bride ones) and have owned in the past the Baphomet- Dead Shall... testpress which had the same labels.
mental necrosis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be buying "The Silent Enigma" with the DVD edition. It's worth the extra cash, isn't it?
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judgement is a great album. If this and Katatonia were mainstream radio play, perhaps the world wouldn't have such queers like emo's mulling about outside HMV's and malls the world over.

Always did like that Pink Floydish touch some of these bands added. Liked Tiamat still alot as well until they switched 100% goth. Guess Deeper Kind of Slumber was the end for them.

I wonder what would result if bands like these ever went back to try and write full on metal again.
Anathema has become so drowsy the last few albums. Judgement still had some punch although it was only rock punch, now though... it is like music carried by a echo barley heard over the winds of time, for burnt out old hippies I suppose all smoked out.
Kosmas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

passetiermes wrote:
They released that live video from Poland, been watching that every once in a while.

And what a great performance it was !
Kapalika

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomOTO wrote:
Kapalika wrote:
sztorm75 wrote:

He's not nearly as bad as the guy from Enchantment's harsh voice.

Urgh, you have a massive point there... now that is/was a vocalist ruining a band.
anotherdeadhero

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't check the condition, since im at work. But I have the "We are the bible" (Peaceville) and "They die/Crestfallen" (Witchhunt Records) 7" for sale/trade. If you got any tradelist, please send it to me.
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anathema (along with Camel and Incantation) are amongst my three favourite bands! Although the Darren White albums are my favourites, I love everything they've done. A Fine Day to Exit is pretty much their only weak point, but even that has some good tracks on it.

The only thing I'm actually missing is the We Are The Bible 7" - if anyone is interested in trading a copy, please get in touch!

Uncolored wrote:
I'd kill for an early anathema shirt, the one with "falling deeper" front and "into fear" on back

I've never even seen that one! I've got an original Serenades longsleeve, and a Silent Enigma shirt - both of them cost me pretty deeply in the pocket though! I bid on a Crestfallen LS once, but lost it at £70... silly money!
Uncolored

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:

Uncolored wrote:
I'd kill for an early anathema shirt, the one with "falling deeper" front and "into fear" on back

I've never even seen that one!

here it is

that's me, my friend wally and mirai from sigh in my hometown in 1991
before coming to italy mirai spent a week or more in the uk and went to see anathema in liverpool where he bought that shirt
one of the weirdest metal shirt I've ever seen

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand
Kapalika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Anathema shirt from The Silent Enigma for sale for a friend, pm me if interested... might put it up in the trade section here as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: