P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Some thoughts on EXCRUCIATE LP -unprecedently brilliant work
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zbielak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Some thoughts on EXCRUCIATE LP -unprecedently brilliant work Reply with quote

Here come some recapitulations on EXCRUCIATE LP - the first semi-successful Death Metal Reissue - mainly for Dark Symphonies information, so You can delete this thread once You read it, Ted.

Well, I received Excruciate LP in my mail yesterday - that is four days from US to Poland, which is first thing to congratulate. Packaging is great – the only wrong idea is the confetti filling which secures the lp in parcel – it gets into jacket and litters the vinyl surface with extremely hardly removable paper dust which makes a serious vinyl enthusiast have to wash the LP before playing. I am not enthusiastic about the T-shirts as part of die hard package unless you have an Idea how to incorporate them into the outer extra packaging, hence I am glad to see You abandon the shirt/die hard marriage idea with the upcoming Purtenance set.

As for the cover – big, big congratulations – it made my day, and everyone who aims at evoking the original late 80’s early 90’s spirit with their vinyl reissues has to bow before what The Crypt achieved with Excruciate – this is the type of paper / cardboard and way of applying print to it, that is absolutely essential to achieve time-coherence of early nineties vinyl. POINT. No one did it better so far.

I’d strongly appreciate if You used the VERY SAME printing plant, device and media for the forthcoming Purtenance, Epitaph and Utumno vinyls – as a matter of fact I see no other way to go for you from now on, Ted – this Excruciate Vinyl is the first nearly-successful attempt at rekindling spirit of the original death metal vinyl - and thus sets strict standards for releases of similar vein. I said “nearly” not “entirely” because of a few minor shortcomings I noticed in Excruciate reissue, and it is crucial to avoid them with obviously splendid future releases, because You are really a hair away from doing THE BEST REISSUES EVER, and thorough integrity and time-coherence are of the absolute essence here.

So:

First off – the A4 sheets are totally expendable – You should always prepare a proper insert (nothing more exquisite than semi gloss paper should be used) or innersleeve (obligatory thin and not glossy – today’s tight and idiotically thick printed innersleeves, that one has to fight with, in order to get the vinyl out of ‘em, are just pure nonsense - only the thin, spacious innersleeves like Roadrunner used to print make any logical sense – both for time coherence and functionality) – You showed mastery with perfectly lossless reassembling of the original cover artwork for the LP version, so I believe You’re capable of doing same justice to the contents of the cd booklets for the forthcoming vinyl versions and reissues. It’s worth the additional hours spent on redrawing and matching of fonts in Photoshop etc, really. It requires time, work and the meticulous approach which You obviously have, and which I hope to see mastered further in Your forthcoming releases.

Secondly – There is no need to press 200gr vinyls with obscurely produced death metal. If you access original master tapes and maintain the original tonal balance which you already confirmed in other post – assuming that the pressing plant will not fuck up the acetate –140gr is all you really need for this kind of music. Notice that all old metal vinyls are pressed on lesser grammature than today, yet still there’s no single commercial (not audiophile or mono) reissue – be it even 220gr vinyl – that can beat the thinner original. That’s how it is with reissues. Give it a proper comparatory audition on a properly revealing analogue system and they will always come short in favour of the original pressings.
European vinyl from early 90’s (Earache, Peaceville, Roadrunner, early Century Media, not to mention countless little labels like Spinefarm, Comeback, Major who used same pressing plants) are still absolute reference in extreme metal music on LP – and it’s never thicker than 140g. It’s the pressing standards that deteriorate nowadays (well, late 90’s mark the ultimate collapse in vinyl quality standards - Displeased, Century Media and Connected are manifest examples) and no 220gr pseudo-audiophile pressings can do any extra sonic justice to our basically lo-fi death metal productions. I really don’t want to sound like a high-headed self-congested asshole, but I am very strict in judging vinyl – most importantly I listen to it not as extension to collecting it, but quite the opposite. Music, pressing quality and sound have the total privilege over the collectible (paradoxically it often makes me buy several editions/pressings of the same title in pursuit of the so called “keepers copy” and the differences are startling). I play my vinyl with mercilessly accurate SME 20/2 system armed with SME V tonearm and highly sensitive Transrotor Merlo Reference MC cartridge, plus swarming serpentine coils of high-end cables not out of will to impress anyone, but in order to GET AS MUCH OUT OF MY MUSIC AS POSSIBLE (be it Stravinsky’s Divertimento’s or Necrosanct’s Equal in Death), which has been my manic goal ever since I put together my first stereo, and which I consequently strived to afford and empirically evaluate over the years, which is my way of staying fair towards the music. So, Your Excruciate LP sounds smooth and uncompressed with beautiful heights and bit of dullness in midrange and too sleepy drive (one could go indepth and possibly blame color vinyl for that – anyway even for red wax it sounds really, really decent), but this is basically how it’s been originally recorded in the studio, and it’s the biggest compliment for it – now, I assure You it would sound just the same way on 140g . Subsequently You’d have cheaper postage, or You could even reinvest the spare $$$ in proper innersleeves, which would obviously contribute to becoming THE BEST.

The last thing - the cover tends to come off at the bottom seam, since there’s not enough room for such a thick vinyl inside – 140g principle stalks you from beyond…anyway more spacious covers would be appropriate – remember You add lots of extras – poster, inserts etc. Btw. The poster is great – no need to do any bigger sizes in the future.

Having said all that, I wish You all the enthusiasm to keep it up this way with upcoming releases. Your first output is extremely promising and I wish I could see You monopolize the Old Death Metal vinyl resurgence soon.

Best Regards and keep up unprecedently brilliant work!
Nocturnal Graves

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a gay review of this LP haha... by the sounds of it you'd be more suited to collecting barbie dolls.

It's a good re-issue. Looks good, sounds good... what more do you need? Semi gloss inserts - exquisite! Who cares if it's glossy or not... god damn this quality control is getting out of hand haha.
zbielak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do collect Ken figures since mid 80's, as a matter of fact Ken gave me my first Sodom "Obsessed by Cruelty" back in the day. Ken Kessler, that is. Very Happy
Chit019

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww how sweet. Love is in the air.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's quite an extensive research on the quality of the release. I just throw the disc on my turntable and read the lyric sheet or check out the art/extras (when either included). Laughing
thrashbeast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think I'd see the day so soon, but this topic has officially bumped the 'Elend' thread out of the top spot of "The least metal thread ever created on this board". Well, at least until the day when old-school death metal isn't the big trend anymore and Dark Symphonies starts releasing his gay Maudlin of the Well and Novembers Doom shit on limited wax to pay his bills.

Seriously, get a fucking life.
sludge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nocturnal Graves wrote:
What a gay review of this LP haha... by the sounds of it you'd be more suited to collecting barbie dolls.

Awww how sweet. Love is in the air.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Oh guys,you really made my day.thank you
zbielak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahahaha, good then! I hereby abolish the mighty ELEND in favour of fondling penises in the name of quality hahaha. Who cares what Dark Symphonies releases apart from classics being done in classic way? Life?...c'mon Smile

Yea, this thread is awesome:)
PhantomOTO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I like about The Crypt is that he's making moves to separate the "die hard" collector nerd components, especially with the upcoming Purtenance. Everyone gets the same fundamental package, but if one wants colored vinyl (which I didn't) it's optional and costs the same as black, and the t-shirt is also optional. Other than that, everyone gets pretty much the same thing and there's no shelling out extra for a bunch of stupid "goodies" (the choice between regular and die hard for Excruciate basically came down to the shirt and that's not even a problem now with the way he did Purtenance). And especially NO BONUS MUSIC WITH THE DIE HARD (THE SHITTIEST FUCKING PRACTICE OF THE VINYL NERD RESURGENCE FAD).

The only problem I see is that with something like Utumno, there might not be a CD reissue and it deserves to be a more widespread than a limited nerd vinyl. Everything else The Crypt has done/is planning had a CD version fairly recently that can still be found (in the case of Excruciate and Epitaph) or I've heard rumors that one is coming up (Purtenance).
Uncolored

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomOTO wrote:

The only problem I see is that with something like Utumno, there might not be a CD reissue and it deserves to be a more widespread than a limited nerd vinyl

vic records bought the rights
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/vic-records/358640-utumno.html
but since they delay every release it will probably out in a couple of years Laughing

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand
PhantomOTO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncolored wrote:
PhantomOTO wrote:

The only problem I see is that with something like Utumno, there might not be a CD reissue and it deserves to be a more widespread than a limited nerd vinyl

vic records bought the rights
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/vic-records/358640-utumno.html
but since they delay every release it will probably out in a couple of years Laughing

I remember hearing that they would be doing a Leukemia CD but I don't know if it ever came out. If it did, it got crappy distribution in the US.

Anyway, don't know if these are old news or if anyone else has seen them, but a couple new things have been added to The Crypt's list:
"CRYPT OF KERBEROS (Swe): MCMXCI-MCMXCIII Discography Official 2 LP set - TBA
SIGH (Jap): Infidel Art (Original album mix + Unreleased Band Mix + The Shadowing) Official Triple Gatefold 3-LP set - TBA"

I'm especially interested in Crypt of Kerberos, especially if it includes the LP that wasn't on the CD from a few years ago. I'm not so sure all that could fit on just two LPs, though.
peterott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomOTO wrote:
I remember hearing that they would be doing a Leukemia CD but I don't know if it ever came out. If it did, it got crappy distribution in the US.

That was announced on the VIC-webpage some time ago in the news section without any further info, so it'll be >2012 I presume. It's the release of the third unreleased recording of Leukemia. The band is behind it, but Vic is sloooooooooow it looks like.
sztorm75

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yawwwn... has anyone read till the end what zbielak has to say? Mad
peterott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sztorm75 wrote:
yawwwn... has anyone read till the end what zbielak has to say? Mad

Yes I have. It's a very interesting post in my opinion.
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have too and I quite enjoyed it actually, especially

"innersleeve (obligatory thin and not glossy – today’s tight and idiotically thick printed innersleeves, that one has to fight with, in order to get the vinyl out of ‘em, are just pure nonsense - only the thin, spacious innersleeves like Roadrunner used to print"

because I have struggled with these as well (I still like a thick innersleeve though...)

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: