P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

90's Lithuanian Black Metal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miškokapas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: 90's Lithuanian Black Metal Reply with quote

Ha Lela
Poccolus
Anubi
Valefar
Zpoan Vtenz

These bands were magical. Does anyone know of more recent stuff that sounds like anything resembling that scene? Are there any great ones I'm leaving off the list?
MorbidMessiah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early Nahash.
kärakiiker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 90's Lithuanian Black Metal Reply with quote

miškokapas wrote:
Does anyone know of more recent stuff that sounds like anything resembling that scene? Are there any great ones I'm leaving off the list?

You should come to Tallinn, Estonia, for Howls of Winter festival as it always features bands from that region or around of it. Try also Forgotten Path zine to search for more info: http://www.forgotten-path.lt/
Odium FPM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly believe that the entire Lithuanian or Baltic Pagan Black Metal scene of the 90s was somehow special. Sure, nostalgy plays huge role here, but can't do anything about it. Poccolus, Ha Lela. Zpoan Vtenz was like an unholy trinity for me! Later on Angis or Ugnėlakis continued in similar vain. Add early Dissimulation as well. Actually, I don't think nowadays or even at that time you could find anything similar with the same passion and aura. On the other hand, Estonia had their bands on the share, with some specific hints and authenticity, like Tharaphita, Manatark, or Kalm. For me personally bands from Russia (Thy Repentance) or Ukraine (Nokturnal Mortum) had similar emotional level at that time. But today I don't find any bands, who continue on the same aural and spiritual level.

Anubi, on the contrary, were not as Pagan, but they were much unique. Truly unique, I would say.

On the other hand, Valefar from musical stand point, wasn't anything special, imho. Yes, they had some hints, but take any other raw and primitive BM act, and you will hear similar noise. What made them special for me, were their lyrics, that were created by Martynas Meškauskas (from Anubi) - absolute masterpiece of dark death poems!

Nahash is another story, I would say. Much more traditional BM than all those mentioned above. "Forgotten Path" probably has nothing to with fiding similar bands, except for the fact that we interviewed Nahash recently. I had ideas for an article about Lithuanian BM scene of 90s, but that will require enormous time and effort costs, so I'm not sure if I ever will be ready to take that task on.
Nichts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came here to mention Angis.

This seems to be a good source: https://www.youtube.com/user/LithuanianMetalTapes/videos
candlesmoke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odium FPM wrote:
On the other hand, Estonia had their bands on the share, with some specific hints and authenticity, like Tharaphita, Manatark, or Kalm.

Although more recent, Sőjaruun also has some interesting songs, e.g. Tumehall (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkCh49vitps). To my surprise, Thonolan also played session drums on Bekëth Nexëhmü's De Glömdas Ursjälar. He's also pretty much the only person keeping the local scene alive.
kärakiiker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nahash live in Tallinn, Estonia, at the Howls of Winter festival:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1npBh5Qf9bQ

... just an example.

Sorts: https://www.facebook.com/sortsofficial/videos/1315955575110454/
criminal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... It looks like Baltic states have solid, but overlooked BM scene.
bartwa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather like to know if there are any NEW bands in Lithuania or is it all past glory?
Straxus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odium FPM wrote:

On the other hand, Valefar from musical stand point, wasn't anything special, imho. Yes, they had some hints, but take any other raw and primitive BM act, and you will hear similar noise. What made them special for me, were their lyrics, that were created by Martynas Meškauskas (from Anubi) - absolute masterpiece of dark death poems!

I subscribe

DOWNLOAD SERMONIZE ► http://www.mediafire.com/file/dzk8rtkk347m3i1/Sermonize+%28Peru%29+Demo+1999+Ayamarka+Arpay+Inka+Killay+320.rar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
miškokapas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odium FPM wrote:
I strongly believe that the entire Lithuanian or Baltic Pagan Black Metal scene of the 90s was somehow special. Sure, nostalgy plays huge role here, but can't do anything about it. Poccolus, Ha Lela. Zpoan Vtenz was like an unholy trinity for me! Later on Angis or Ugnėlakis continued in similar vain. Add early Dissimulation as well. Actually, I don't think nowadays or even at that time you could find anything similar with the same passion and aura. On the other hand, Estonia had their bands on the share, with some specific hints and authenticity, like Tharaphita, Manatark, or Kalm. For me personally bands from Russia (Thy Repentance) or Ukraine (Nokturnal Mortum) had similar emotional level at that time. But today I don't find any bands, who continue on the same aural and spiritual level.

Anubi, on the contrary, were not as Pagan, but they were much unique. Truly unique, I would say.

Nahash is another story, I would say. Much more traditional BM than all those mentioned above. "Forgotten Path" probably has nothing to with fiding similar bands, except for the fact that we interviewed Nahash recently. I had ideas for an article about Lithuanian BM scene of 90s, but that will require enormous time and effort costs, so I'm not sure if I ever will be ready to take that task on.

thank you for your very thoughtful response.
Kill Monument

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re went Reply with quote

I'll give some of these bands a listen over the weekend. Cheers for the tips.

www.facebook.com/malthusianDM
EK Nacht

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hail Poccolus! Otherwise I'll be watching this thread for new bands to check out, including the other Lithuanian bands in the op.
EK Nacht

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wait, what about that Altorių Seseliai band? The album with the owls on it I remember liking a lot.
miškokapas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odium FPM wrote:

Anubi always struck me as very much in line with Master's Hammer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: