P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Telefunken USB Turntable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deathevocation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Telefunken USB Turntable Reply with quote

Saw one of these today at K-Mart for a pretty cheap price, thinking of buying it. I appreciate the turntable will be pretty rough, but it won't be for playing vinyls for more than once, but to record them to MP3. Any experiences with these sort of turntables? Get the job done reasonably well?
Vincebus Eruptum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak for the ones that DUAL is selling sometimes, at stores like K-MArt....they suck, they only carry the name of once good (like Telefunken, Dual) trademarks, but are cheap chinese quality.

Anyway I'm no expert and if you are just into recording the stuff on mp3 it might be ok.

I recommend you to lend a "high-end" vinylplayer from a friend and put a cable from your stereo to your pc and record the stuff on it.
deathevocation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my actual turntable has been out of action for some time. Need to buy a new one.
headnhalf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with a USB turntable if you already have a regular turntable, just download this:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Piss easy to use once you get going and all you need is a jack to jack cable running from the lineout/headphone socket of your stereo into the line in on your soundcard.
Great trades with: Vorfeed, Kakarot SS5, GoldenBull, Rat eyes, Caina, Blekt, Uncoloured, Cursed Blood, Minge Eater, Portentum, Addison nektostiknekromessikk and Asphyxiation anyone i've forgotten give me a shout
vorfeed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headnhalf wrote:
Don't bother with a USB turntable if you already have a regular turntable, just download this:
Piss easy to use once you get going and all you need is a jack to jack cable running from the lineout/headphone socket of your stereo into the line in on your soundcard.

Yeah, there's no reason to get a USB turntable; just get a decent used turntable (Technics is good) and then use Audacity to do the recording. That software is much more versatile than anything that comes with a USB turntable, and you'll still have a real turntable if you ever want to use it that way.
siax

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today Telefunken is only a brand, usually all devices contain turkish or chinese shit. So it might be an okay player, but sure it is of rather poor quality.
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vorfeed wrote:
Yeah, there's no reason to get a USB turntable; just get a decent used turntable (Technics is good) and then use Audacity to do the recording. That software is much more versatile than anything that comes with a USB turntable, and you'll still have a real turntable if you ever want to use it that way.

I completely agree. Quality of turntable and sound card are most important, not convenience, which is not really that big of a time savings anyway.
Kakarot SS5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headnhalf wrote:

Shocked Shocked I will download this...
next homework for weekend Cool

Trade/Sale:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40729
Iscariah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, but anyone noticed the all of a sudden amount of vinyls shelfing in record-stores these days? I asked a guy at a big store in Bergen what the deal was and he says vinyl sales are up 2-300% for them in the last year.
Maybe this deserves a separate thread, but it seems that digital bullshit has come to face the rock destroyer at least.
At least listeners like myself born before the 80s do not mind the revival of vinyl and a total death to digital shit.
vorfeed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:
I completely agree. Quality of turntable and sound card are most important, not convenience, which is not really that big of a time savings anyway.

Yeah, it's not a big deal. Once you get good at it, it takes maybe 5 more minutes at the end of playing the album to use Audacity to split the tracks, enter the track names and other info, and convert to mp3. Plus you can use Audacity to record & convert audio from tapes, as well as youtube/myspace/whatever... and you can even use it to record your demo someday! Twisted Evil
PhantomOTO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iscariah wrote:
Off topic, but anyone noticed the all of a sudden amount of vinyls shelfing in record-stores these days? I asked a guy at a big store in Bergen what the deal was and he says vinyl sales are up 2-300% for them in the last year.
Maybe this deserves a separate thread, but it seems that digital bullshit has come to face the rock destroyer at least.
At least listeners like myself born before the 80s do not mind the revival of vinyl and a total death to digital shit.

It's probably just a fad. I bet the jump in vinyl sales doesn't come anywhere near digital sales (even if CD sales have gone down a bit).

And it's all still "digital shit" since hardly anything released now is totally analog. It's a fad based on style, not substance.
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vorfeed wrote:
Once you get good at it, it takes maybe 5 more minutes at the end of playing the album to use Audacity to split the tracks, enter the track names and other info, and convert to mp3. Plus you can use Audacity to record & convert audio from tapes, as well as youtube/myspace/whatever... and you can even use it to record your demo someday! Twisted Evil

I've had good fun ripping old tapes the same way. I'm hoping to do my uncle's classical collection, which has tons of out of print (and sometimes un-PC) stuff that's also just excellent music.

The only thing that eludes me now are the mysteries of multi-level compression, or whatever you call it when you run a series of compressions to get a loud but balanced sound out of an old recording.
deathevocation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
vorfeed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:
The only thing that eludes me now are the mysteries of multi-level compression, or whatever you call it when you run a series of compressions to get a loud but balanced sound out of an old recording.

I think that's what they're talking about here:
http://audacityteam.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8074&start=10

Instructions are about halfway down. I've never tried it, so let me know how it goes if you give it a shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: