P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Demo MC trading...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avrlabel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lycaon wrote:
And I wonder now, are there people that may produce pro tapes but also spread the release with covers+master when it comes handy?

Yes most of the labels as they cannot sold all copies in pro tapes..
Stygian Shadows 'zine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avrlabel wrote:
Lycaon wrote:
And I wonder now, are there people that may produce pro tapes but also spread the release with covers+master when it comes handy?

If labels follow this way, it's total shit attitude in my opinion!
Lycaon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stygian Shadows 'zine wrote:
avrlabel wrote:
Lycaon wrote:

If labels follow this way, it's total shit attitude in my opinion!

Yeah, really shit attitude.
avrlabel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they make release in 500 copies they print only 300 tapes and other 200 covers are send as master and inserts (master on tape or cdr no matter at all)..
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it always depends a bit on what the release was meant for...
I think if itīs a tape edition of a fullenght album, the tape should have at least a proprinted cover and best is to have it completely pro done.

If itīs a very limited release in the first place I think doing the tapes a bit more individual (stickers, coloured tapes etc.) would be cool.

If itīs a demo tape and the most important thing is to spread the music and the name out there, I think master/cover solution is the best !

I think doing protapes AND distributing the master/cover way is a bit crap, thereīs only one exception I think is OK.
For example I did a demo of one of my bands and Slava Productions from Thailand asked me for 100 covers and a master CD-R so they can produce 100 professional done tapes to distribute in SE Asia ! I think thatīs cool, like a special edition for the people there while all others get regular supermarket tapes.

This reminds me of something....
I still have no pro copy of the NOCTURNAL Havoc Tales tape, only a cover and dubbed tape. Damn IRON FIST KOMMANDO Twisted Evil
avrlabel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nocturnal Deathstrike wrote:
For example I did a demo of one of my bands and Slava Productions from Thailand asked me for 100 covers and a master CD-R so they can produce 100 professional done tapes to distribute in SE Asia ! I think thatīs cool, like a special edition for the people there while all others get regular supermarket tapes.

This is cool!
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading masters + covers against same stuff is ok, spreading only covers when pro tape exist is without sense. The matter is postage costs and press cost. Do you belive now pressing tapes is more expensive than CDs (no idea how it looks in Asia?)?

The gayest thing I hear about is distro when guy sells master cdr + cover to private costumers....

Now's ok when tape come with pro done cover and an sticker. My next releases for sure will be done in this way.
www.doomzine.bandcamp.com
Wilhelm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Demo MC trading... Reply with quote

snaps666 wrote:
Hi all...

Just wanted to hear your oppinions on this matter.

When you agree on trading some demo MCs (from labels, distros etc) , is it normal that you just send the covers and a CDR and not complete cassettes with covers and cases?

I ask this, because it happened two times within a short period for me, that I agree on a trade, and then recieve just covers + CDR (but both times a higher number than agreed in the trade), and I was wondering if this is standard practice?

I am aware, that it's way cheaper to send just covers + CDR, and if it's not pro-dubed cassettes it really doesn't make a big difference, but I usually don't bother to dub cassettes myself. I don't have a bunch of blanks lying around, so I need to go buy aditional cassettes to have these releases the right way.
I can see the reason why to do it this way, I guess I'm just surprised it seems like it's normal to do without agreement beforehand...

NOTE!
I am NOT makíng this topic to acuse anyone, or saying it's the wrong way of doing it - I just wonder if this is like standard practice, just to know how to awoid this in the future.

Also, both times this happened, the traders offered to send complete tapes after I asked why etc - so again, this is not to acuse anyone for doing anything wrong - I would just like to hear peoples oppionions and experiences.

Cheers.

It's become more common lately what with the cost of postage and everything. Personally, I like to trade tape for tape, however, I also don't like spending $15-$20 just to send a pack of tapes overseas either.

Like Deathstrike said, it's no big deal if both sides agree on doing it that way.

Go brush your doll's hair.
snaps666

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Demo MC trading... Reply with quote

Wilhelm wrote:
It's become more common lately what with the cost of postage and everything. Personally, I like to trade tape for tape, however, I also don't like spending $15-$20 just to send a pack of tapes overseas either.

Like Deathstrike said, it's no big deal if both sides agree on doing it that way.

Sure it's no problem if both sides agree... But I just experienced two times, that it was like standard practice, and not to be asked about beforehand.
Then I think it's a problem.

But I think Noc.Deathstrike had some very valid points.

Also I like the idea of sending like 50-100 covers to a distro/label in another part of the world for them to do a "specieal version" for distribution in that area.

On a side note, I think those labels / distros that use this system with master / cover should think of printing some cassette labels as well. It doesn't cost much, and this way the cassettes would at least have the label i common.
Kn.Pervert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is when labels have to dubbed the copies.

For example I ve ordered from tour de garde and I recieved a crappy dubbed copy, maybe this guy uses high dubbing (making a tape master from the cd-r master that he recieves), this process adds a huge amount of static to the recording and low down the master volume. Dubbing the tape from the master cd-r is slow, but at least you can guarentee that it would sound fine.

I know a lot of labels that make tape stickers (of their labels like "distributed by...") for the home dubbed copies that they make for distribution.
Bringer of Terror

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have no pro copy of the NOCTURNAL Havoc Tales tape, only a cover and dubbed tape. Damn IRON FIST KOMMANDO Twisted Evil

I think i've seen the protape version on some tradelist. I'll se if i can get you one, but i don't promise nothing.
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kn.Pervert wrote:

For example I ve ordered from tour de garde and I recieved a crappy dubbed copy, maybe this guy uses high dubbing (making a tape master from the cd-r master that he recieves), this process adds a huge amount of static to the recording and low down the master volume. Dubbing the tape from the master cd-r is slow, but at least you can guarentee that it would sound fine.

I refuse using tape masters since it is no secret the quality fades from copy to copy using tapes. And in this day and age, everyone uses CD-Rīs as masters. And for sure no high speed dubbing should be used but that doesnīt work with CD-Rīs anyway.
But there are many problems which can occur this way, for example if people use C-60 tapes if a C-90 tape should be used and stuff is missing on the end and it goes unnoticed and so on....

Quote:

I think i've seen the protape version on some tradelist. I'll se if i can get you one, but i don't promise nothing.

That would he cool ! I got a copy from a greek distro about a year ago but it was just the the procover and the a normal tape.
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringer of Terror wrote:

My copy of Havoc Tales comes with misspress cover (a bit too big) and regular tape, but thats from Rawblackult so tape have thier stickers.
www.doomzine.bandcamp.com

Last edited by Black_Fire on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason all covers are too big ! Mine too...
Sadovahr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
I always ask to trade for the actual dubbed tapes. I just don't have the time to dub them myself.

same here, especially when the actual tape from the band is on a pro-tape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: