P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Demo MC trading...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snaps666

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Demo MC trading... Reply with quote

Hi all...

Just wanted to hear your oppinions on this matter.

When you agree on trading some demo MCs (from labels, distros etc) , is it normal that you just send the covers and a CDR and not complete cassettes with covers and cases?

I ask this, because it happened two times within a short period for me, that I agree on a trade, and then recieve just covers + CDR (but both times a higher number than agreed in the trade), and I was wondering if this is standard practice?

I am aware, that it's way cheaper to send just covers + CDR, and if it's not pro-dubed cassettes it really doesn't make a big difference, but I usually don't bother to dub cassettes myself. I don't have a bunch of blanks lying around, so I need to go buy aditional cassettes to have these releases the right way.
I can see the reason why to do it this way, I guess I'm just surprised it seems like it's normal to do without agreement beforehand...

NOTE!
I am NOT makíng this topic to acuse anyone, or saying it's the wrong way of doing it - I just wonder if this is like standard practice, just to know how to awoid this in the future.

Also, both times this happened, the traders offered to send complete tapes after I asked why etc - so again, this is not to acuse anyone for doing anything wrong - I would just like to hear peoples oppionions and experiences.

Cheers.
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It´s a standard practice, BUT it should be agreed on both sides beforehand.
If you send out dubbed or protapes and receive CD-R and covers this is pretty weak.
Detest Records

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Demo MC trading... Reply with quote

snaps666 wrote:
Hi all...

Just wanted to hear your oppinions on this matter.

When you agree on trading some demo MCs (from labels, distros etc) , is it normal that you just send the covers and a CDR and not complete cassettes with covers and cases?

I ask this, because it happened two times within a short period for me, that I agree on a trade, and then recieve just covers + CDR (but both times a higher number than agreed in the trade), and I was wondering if this is standard practice?

I am aware, that it's way cheaper to send just covers + CDR, and if it's not pro-dubed cassettes it really doesn't make a big difference, but I usually don't bother to dub cassettes myself. I don't have a bunch of blanks lying around, so I need to go buy aditional cassettes to have these releases the right way.
I can see the reason why to do it this way, I guess I'm just surprised it seems like it's normal to do without agreement beforehand...

NOTE!
I am NOT makíng this topic to acuse anyone, or saying it's the wrong way of doing it - I just wonder if this is like standard practice, just to know how to awoid this in the future.

Also, both times this happened, the traders offered to send complete tapes after I asked why etc - so again, this is not to acuse anyone for doing anything wrong - I would just like to hear peoples oppionions and experiences.

Cheers.

Trading inserts + master cdr is a common practice just as trading originals ... as far as I'm concerned I prefer to trade originals since I'm fed up with diplucating tapes at home.

Trading inserts + master cdr is however way cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the original tapes is from some pure analog medium I guess a trip through a CD-R could be bad... But most tapes is from a CD-r anyway maybe?
Detest Records

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2079 wrote:
If the original tapes is from some pure analog medium I guess a trip through a CD-R could be bad... But most tapes is from a CD-r anyway maybe?

Of course 100% Analogic recordings are very rare nowadays ...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At trades I don't prefer the master + covers like offers, original is always the best, no doubt. And if I send my manufactured pro-tapes would be a bad thing to get a simple CDR with covers doing the tapes myself.
Detest Records

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stygian Shadows 'zine wrote:
At trades I don't prefer the master + covers like offers, original is always the best, no doubt. And if I send my manufactured pro-tapes would be a bad thing to get a simple CDR with covers doing the tapes myself.

I would be pretty pissed off too to say the least.

Regarding covers + master cdr I often agree to send them for free as long as my correspondent pays for the shipping cost which are nore more than 4 Euros or something for 30 inserts + master cdr.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your inputs.

As I wrote the "problems" are solved, so it's no big deal in this situation.

But I would like to debate more on the issue about sending a CDR and covers.

Is it in your opinion a bit "to easy" just to make a release this way?
I mean can you call yourself a label (demo MC of course), when you just xerox 100 covers and make some CDRs?

I'm not sure what to think of it myself. As I do get the point in sending a master + 30 covers half way around the world instead of sending actual cassettes, but then again - it just seem like a very easy solution...

We have thought about doing a kind of "licence" of some of our cassettes to places like South Amercia, just to get the music out in those areas. But if we do a thing like this, it would not be before every pro-printed copy is sold out.

What I can't help thinking, is that if you get a CDR and some xerox covers anyway, then why not just release a CDR demo in the first place? Then if someone prefers to have it on cassette, they can make a dub and xerox a cover...

Oh, and another thing... When I get a demo cassette, I really find it anoying if there's no kind of print, sticker or writing on the cassette... Ofcourse not every band/label/distro want to spend the money on pro-printing (and that's fine with me) - but the least they could do (IMO) is to write the band name with a marker or something.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it both ways. If a trade is agreed on with just covers + master CD-R that's fine. I can dub tapes from both tape, CD, and CD-R source in my room without much effort. If we're trading multiple tapes I can do that as well. It's all up to what the trade is agreed upon. The former saves on shipping, but the latter saves on time. Either way I'll be dubbing tapes, or paying more money to get it out.

My only concern is CD-R source to analog copy never seemed practical to me, but I guess it works if many source materials are done on CD-R masters now, as it seems like a common practice these days. Going to be doing a trade for some south american bands, I'm getting CD-R source with about 5 covers of each release in exchange for a few original demos I have.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always ask to trade for the actual dubbed tapes. I just don't have the time to dub them myself.

Web: nwnprod.com

Stygian Shadows 'zine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
I always ask to trade for the actual dubbed tapes. I just don't have the time to dub them myself.

You have the point! Very Happy
SpiritOfDarkness

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nocturnal Deathstrike wrote:
If you send out dubbed or protapes and receive CD-R and covers this is pretty weak.

I completely agree, too bad not many people will trade complete tapes these days.
Stygian Shadows 'zine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritOfDarkness wrote:
Nocturnal Deathstrike wrote:

I completely agree, too bad not many people will trade complete tapes these days.

Same from my side!
Mz412

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both is equal. Mostly shipping Costs is reducet and in a Trade
everybody must pay shipping, so its a great difference between 4 euros
or 34 euros, you know?

If someone like to get dubbed tapes, its no problem after all, but then
both sides must use it.

But it is also a very funny think, that some demos have then hundrets
of different tapes for...
Lycaon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all these, making pro tapes makes it more difficult to deal with others. Everyone prefers the cheapest way these days. For example, someone insisted on asking from me covers+master for a wholesale deal, even though I kept telling him that I have pro tapes. It sounded natural to him... And I wonder now, are there people that may produce pro tapes but also spread the release with covers+master when it comes handy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: