P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Morbid Angel in Auckland, New Zealand.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karimlan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Morbid Angel in Auckland, New Zealand. Reply with quote

I guess this thread comes from what I posted in the Morbid Angel at the Key Club thread a few days back. It’s a long post but what the hell, so here goes:

We started loading gear into the venue around lunch time and then came back at 6 to do a sound check. As we returned that evening, there they were onstage!! It was surreal for me watching M.A. sound check. I mean, here was a band that made so much awesome music that has been part of my life’s soundtrack and the literal first time I’m seeing them is when they’re in “mortal form” – pausing during songs, playing random riffs and improvised shred on the guitars, complaining to their sound tech that it’s not going well etc. David Vincent and Pete Sandoval in particular were complaining quite a bit (David being quite the grumpy sod), Trey Azagthoth however seemed to be able to take the less than ideal sound in stride. According to some of the staff at the venue, they had already been sound checking on and off for “6 hours.” Yeah an exaggeration I'd say, but obviously it was long enough already for the staff to be fed up with it all.

This then meant that the 2 opening bands only had time enough to set up gear and other things and get a level check done. So much so that by the time we finished setting up our gear there was only about 5 mins. to go before the doors opened.

First band up was Vassafor (who I’m currently involved in) followed by Dawn of Azazel. Each opening band played a 30 min set.

Then it was time for Morbid Angel. Fuck they were great!!!! Trey Azagthoth is a demon on guitar and Pete Sandoval...... holy fuck!!! The only down side was David Vincent being a prima donna who was making it clear that he wasn’t happy with the way things were (throwing down his mike stand at one point). He also told the crowd something to the effect of make more noise for us we’re not the previous band. The classic line from him that night was when members of the crowd were yelling out song titles and he says: “with all due respect, do you think that we flew 14 or 15 hours and not know what songs we’re gonna play?” Hahahaha!!!

What I can remember of the set list was:

Rapture
Pain Divine
Maze of Torment
Nevermore
Sworn to the Black
Where the Slime Live
Blood on my hands
Bil Ur Sag
Immortal Rites
Chapel of Ghouls

Encore of :
God of Emptiness
World of Shit

Best part of it was watching from the side of the stage and getting to shake hands and talk briefly to Trey Azagthoth before and after their set. I’ve never been a fan boy type but I had to tell Trey that I’d been into M.A. since my mid teens, I was now 33, this was my first time seeing them and it’s been well worth the wait (I’m originally from the Philippines, bands never go there). Ah yes, I also wore my Necrovore shirt backstage just to see if it would piss them off but nah, that didn’t happen. Hehehehe……

Well I can’t really claim this one as a personal victory as I just started playing for Vassafor this year and didn’t write any of the material but fuck me dead what a weekend!!! I never in my wildest dreams thought that the first time I would ever see Morbid Angel would also see me opening for them.
karimlan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of Vassafor and Morbid Angel from www.augustaphotos.co.nz More pics at the site.

Werewolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, David Vincent sound like a really snob asshole. I remember coming a few hours too early for a KREATOR's gig in IsraHell, so I attended at the sound check and chatted a lot with Ventor (very down to Earth dude), but when Mr. Petrozza himself arrived and I asked him to sign on my records and CD's of all their 5 first albums (only them, fuck the rest!) he looked at me as if I asked him to give me a blowjob.
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Damn, David Vincent sound like a really snob asshole. I remember coming a few hours too early for a KREATOR's gig in IsraHell, so I attended at the sound check and chatted a lot with Ventor (very down to Earth dude), but when Mr. Petrozza himself arrived and I asked him to sign on my records and CD's of all their 5 first albums (only them, fuck the rest!) he looked at me as if I asked him to give me a blowjob.

Vincent is a few steps away from the Nergal fashion show
dawn patrol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly would prefer if they just could have stuck with Tucker.
dronevil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:

nergal is a pretty nice dude tho...
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
Heliogabalus wrote:

Definitely true. Despite all commercial success and drum triggers this entire band is extremely friendly and down to earth. It actually makes it hard for me to hate them, hehe...
Azmoth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vassafor set list ?
Werewolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
dronevil wrote:
Heliogabalus wrote:

Definitely true. Despite all commercial success and drum triggers this entire band is extremely friendly and down to earth. It actually makes it hard for me to hate them, hehe...

True. I've seen Nergal here too when he came to play with Salem (just on the autographs session, not the gig, hehe) and he's absolutely down to Earth.
Mutilashawn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see that Vincent at least didn't wear his fag goth shirt ... ugh

What a killer line up that must have been. Very jealous!
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
dronevil wrote:
Heliogabalus wrote:

Ok I must confess. I really dig Behemoth. Actually, I enjoy most of the stuff they put out.
xk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Dave threw his mic stand down because he messed up the lyrics to Fall from Grace.
karimlan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:

He really was. Several of us were saying "great set" to them after they came off the stage and he wouldn't even look at us.

Fuckin' hell, Petrozza too huh.... christ, who do some of these people think they are!!! I mean, I've talked to people who have met Steve Harris from Iron Maiden and they say that he's absolutely approachable inspite of how much he's achieved.
karimlan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azmoth wrote:
Vassafor set list ?

Sunya (new song)
Craft of Dissolution
Vassafor
Rites of Ascencion
Archeonauts Return

Sunya was the only one played in it's entirety, the other songs were shortened and re-arranged to fit the 30 min. time slot.
Lutfor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent went straight to his hotel room after the gig in LA. No one saw him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: