P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Maryland Death Fest so far
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mortado

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My long-assed review and photos can be found here

Here's the start:
Day 0 (May 21st, 2009)

We left Seattle at 10 PM on May 20th on an oversold flight with a change over in Detroit. I got to my hotel in Baltimore at around 9 AM. Fortunately they had some empty rooms so I didn’t have to wait around for the 4 PM check-in time. Once everything was unpacked we set out in search of alcohol and food. Within one block we found both a grocery store and a liquor store.

The liquor store (Urban Cellars Fine Wines) had a sign saying “Welcome Deathfest” in the window. We bought 2 pints of Absolut (to drink at the fest) and a fifth of cheap vodka to make kamikazes and bloody marys with along with a six pack of Grolsch. The grocery store supplied some donuts and milk. We took our provisions back to the hotel, ate some food then set off walking. Our destinations were Edgar Allan Poe’s grave and his Baltimore house/museum.

Our first mistake on this trip was not bringing along a map to get to our tourist attractions. Once we thought we had gone too far we took a bit of a detour and started asking the locals where Poe’s house (on Amity Street) was. We probably spoke with a dozen people and none of them had a clue, they just kept directing us to his gravesite despite us specifically asking where his house was. We were finally given proper directions by an older man with a nasty set of track marks on his arms. For this bit of information he was rewarded with a cigarette.

On the way to Poe’s house the neighborhoods started looking bad. Rows of brick row houses were the norm, about 50 percent occupied and the rest boarded up. Garbage was everywhere and the only sounds to be heard were occasional shouts and the thumping of rap music bass. Despite the lower standard of living in this particular area everyone we spoke with was kind and pleasant. At least it seemed that way; it could have been the result of 24+ hours without sleep. When we finally got to Poe’s house we were greeted with a sign saying it was closed. At least we found out where it was so we could visit later.
Erilaz

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mortado wrote:
2400 paid admissions for Saturday, 2650 in total attendance that day.

OK, so the organisers wouldn't have lost money then!
masters_throne

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

= KILL I =
= KILL II =

Last edited by masters_throne on Wed May 27, 2009 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
HELLTHRASHER -l-

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell of a time this past week!

Midnight 2 nights in a row then MDF on the weekend! ARGHHH!!

I don't see why they mentioned Saturday was sold out because they were selling individual tickets for all 3 days the whole time.
There were alot in attendance, but not SUPER packed.

Asphyx, D666, HOB, Aura Noir, Boltthrower were my personal highlights!

Hails to Wannes, Paul, Bob and Martin, Stephan (HOB), & Sharpnel/Matt (D666) for the killer shout outs, great hangouts and cool times!

Baltimore has to be [one of] the ugliest city in the US! Lots of nasty ghetto people and not ONE hott chick present in the streets. Only a few 'OK' lookin ones inside the fest, but nothing over the top, the rest were just porkers.

That city seems to be runned by Mormons or something, cuz majority of all the food places/stores closed early!
The 7-Elevens in Baltimore don't sale beer, some liquor stores stop at midnight and all close on Sunday?! F U!

Weather was great at night, but in the day time it was sick humid. Felt like 90's the whole time there [That would be around 30* C for the rest of the world]

I have a shitload of cropping/editing to do with my pics, I'll post up a few afterwards.
http://www.freewebs.com/metalstormzine/
getfuckedbro

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil_Invader wrote:
NWN PROD wrote:
Wow. I hope I get half that for the NWN fest.

I'm sure in New York it would have worked pretty good! I would have went for sure.. sadly there's no way I can make it to Berlin this year.

The fest was a blast! My neck is hurting and I'm still a bit fucked up. Met shitloads of people over there! Hails to everyone!!! We stayed in Baltimore for the whole weekend - it's true there wasn't much to do but the Inner Harbour is a very great place! We ended up partying all weekend.

D666 KILLED!!! ASPHYX was the second best band in my opinion! ABSU, AURA NOIR and BOLT THROWER were also fucking killer!

See you guys next year!!!

SATANIC SPEEEEEEEEEEEED METAL!!!

Were you the guy standing next to me during D666 yelling satanic speed metal for the whole set?

D666 was by far the best band, absu and aura noir were pretty good as well.

FUCK baltimore.
plague

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fest was great. inner harbor is like the touristy asshole of the city, if you didn't find anything better its because you didn't try.
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mortado wrote:
TeethofSkull wrote:

who played guitar in Aura Noir?
was it Blasphemer?

Yes, it was Blasphemer.

More importantly, who played the drums?

How was ABSCESS?!

Aeonblade wrote:
Hyper distorted go nowhere songs with feedback sections. It's like everything wrong with doom.
Saevus

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil_Invader wrote:
Great! Fun to read!

RiotOr not Rioter Wink

Dennis made the same mistake in the last Hellpike issue.

Heh, sorry. At least it wasn't an official review or something, and I had to remember a billion names/albums/events/ect while writing that.

You guys where like the only ones that I wanted to chat some where quiet. It's hard to understand any one with even a little bit of an accent with all that music blaring. The CD kills though! Definitely a neckbreaker. I hope you like that TGH I traded for it....

HELLTHRASHER -l- wrote:
Baltimore has to be [one of] the ugliest city in the US! Lots of nasty ghetto people and not ONE hott chick present in the streets. Only a few 'OK' lookin ones inside the fest, but nothing over the top, the rest were just porkers.

That city seems to be runned by Mormons or something, cuz majority of all the food places/stores closed early!
The 7-Elevens in Baltimore don't sale beer, some liquor stores stop at midnight and all close on Sunday?! F U!

Weather was great at night, but in the day time it was sick humid. Felt like 90's the whole time there [That would be around 30* C for the rest of the world]

The bums where a lot better than when I went last in 2007. I accidentally gave one of them some change though, as I thought it was a normal guy just needing some loose change for a phone call or soda, but it ended up being a guy who was fully mentally functional but lived out of shelters. I almost punched him when he apologized instead of thanking me.

Best place to get beer is some of the bars, which carrying cases of beer out of bars is kind of alien to us in VA. We some how found a bar way out in some little town outside of Baltimore in some ones basement. Best place to drink ever, and cheap!

The weather was nice Sunday, as we had a bit of a breeze.
God Slayer

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone make it to D.C. to see any of the monuments/museums/etc?
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mortado wrote:
Day 3:
Absu, Krallice, Aura Noir, D666, Bolt Thrower (playing again as Pestilence couldn't make it) and Sigh were the highlights of my day. Coincidentally I got more music photos this day than the rest combined. The fest was a hell of a lot of fun, we met a lot of cool people, saw some great bands, ate and drank very well and even got ourselves a little culture. Thanks to everyone who shared a beer or a bottle with us!

Photos here

Edit to add this: for those of you who don't know me I am the one with the shitty hockey beard behind the dude with the kitty t-shirt. I still think my cocker spaniel shirt was the truest shirt there.

So Krallice were good? The debut record is amazing. I'm seeing them soon.
Mortado

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:

So Krallice were good? The debut record is amazing. I'm seeing them soon.

I was only able to catch a couple songs but I was quite impressed.
vorfeed

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God Slayer wrote:
Did anyone make it to D.C. to see any of the monuments/museums/etc?

I went by on Tuesday and walked the Mall -- I found the Vietnam, WWII, and Korean War monuments quite inspiring, especially so soon after Memorial Day (my friends and I had originally planned to head to Washington on both Monday and Tuesday, but the train wasn't running on the holiday, too bad!) We didn't have time to go inside any of the museums, unfortunately (the lines were insane!), so we stuck with the outdoor stuff; there was more than enough to see in one day, anyway.

Finally getting to see the Capitol was great... but not quite as great as seeing Destroyer 666, followed by Bolt Thrower for the second time that weekend! Twisted Evil Wish they'd let D666 play their whole set, though, does anybody know why they got cut off early?
HELLTHRASHER -l-

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vorfeed wrote:
Wish they'd let D666 play their whole set, though, does anybody know why they got cut off early?

Curfew I reckon.
Same thing happened to Asphyx, but I and others blame Mayhem for that. Their set was a bit longer then it should have.
http://www.freewebs.com/metalstormzine/
spectre

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLTHRASHER -l- wrote:
vorfeed wrote:
Wish they'd let D666 play their whole set, though, does anybody know why they got cut off early?

Curfew I reckon.
Same thing happened to Asphyx, but I and others blame Mayhem for that. Their set was a bit longer then it should have.

Indeed, Mayhem played way too long; Asphyx still killed it though. I was kind of pissed though that they got turned down towards the end of "The Rack" because it was already 11.
vorfeed

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLTHRASHER -l- wrote:
Curfew I reckon.

100% agreed about Mayhem, but they cut Destroyer 666 off at around 10:20 or so, and the curfew was supposed to be 11:00... they barely got to play a half hour set, even though there was plenty of time left. Too bad, they're killer live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: