P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The new Pestilence...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warfare Noise wrote:

You sure seem to get worked up about people not liking the same stuff as you...

Stupidity by others, even though a choice (and thus defended by our dominant paradigm), is still annoying.

Black metal is not about grey areas.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrashbeast wrote:
I don't mind the production. Personally, I think the rule of every death metal release coming out these days must have a dirty, raw, old-school feel is fucking retarded. It only fits when used in regard to the particular style, not the overall sound. If the audio recording equipment was up to the same standards it is today, none of old death metal classics from the early nineties would sound like they do. I would hate to think that if those albums were recorded with what they're using in the studios now that everyone would completely dismiss and disregard them due to the production.

Anything is possible with the way metalheads are nowadays, though. I hear a lot of shit that sounds like it was recorded in a tin can and people completely worship it. Then I'll put on something like this where I can distinguish all the instruments, can thoroughly enjoy the sound, and it gets bashed for it. Go figure...

First of all, some of your notions of why records sound different today are incomplete. It's not just about equipment standards, although certainly those have improved generally; a large part of it is the complete switch from analog to digital, and the addition of digital editing and processing. So much stuff now is recorded on a PC and edited with Pro Tools, and that is almost always going to yield a very different (and usually more sterile) sound than something recorded on a mix of analog and digital equipment in the old Morrisound or Sunlight studios (just to name a couple prominent examples).

Another thing that has changed is simply the standards by which we judge a finished recording. Atmosphere was a production goal in the early 90s. Metal records were often swimming in reverb. Nowadays recordings are very dry and up-front by comparison - that's just a standards change, it's not that microphones back then added the reverb automatically or something. On top of that, producers compress their final mixes a lot more than they used to. The capability was always there, it's just that nobody thought it was necessary to pump the perceived volume up so high (at the expense of dynamics).

Those, to me, are the main reasons a lot of modern production sounds comparatively lifeless. And I think it's better suited to pop/radio music than to metal. Most of my favorite metal records are very atmospheric. Hell, even Morrisound albums, which got somewhat of a bad rap at one time, sound gritty and tactile compared to anything Unique Leader has ever put out. For the record, I do own and listen to plenty of modern-sounding death metal. But it's definitely not my favorite sound, and I think Pestilence sounded better with something just a bit more raw.
vugelnox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the points dale makes here. Death metal already possesses a very relentless and non-stop approach much of the time so it especially suffers from a very compressed sound lacking in dynamics. Listening to a lot of modern, often technical, death metal with such production on headphones tires one's ears out and makes it far more difficult to effectively discern everything going on for any period of time. Just listen to the newest Krisiun or especially the newest Hate Eternal album for example. EVERYTHING is just compressed right to the max and as a result any and all nuances are washed away in favor of a constantly-in-the-red assault on the ears. I fail to see the point in producing albums in that fashion and I'm not quite sure why Rutan felt the need to do so. Not that they're a band with much subtlely to begin with but that is just the final nail in the coffin.
throneofmight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
thrashbeast wrote:
I don't mind the production. Personally, I think the rule of every death metal release coming out these days must have a dirty, raw, old-school feel is fucking retarded. It only fits when used in regard to the particular style, not the overall sound. If the audio recording equipment was up to the same standards it is today, none of old death metal classics from the early nineties would sound like they do. I would hate to think that if those albums were recorded with what they're using in the studios now that everyone would completely dismiss and disregard them due to the production.

Anything is possible with the way metalheads are nowadays, though. I hear a lot of shit that sounds like it was recorded in a tin can and people completely worship it. Then I'll put on something like this where I can distinguish all the instruments, can thoroughly enjoy the sound, and it gets bashed for it. Go figure...

First of all, some of your notions of why records sound different today are incomplete. It's not just about equipment standards, although certainly those have improved generally; a large part of it is the complete switch from analog to digital, and the addition of digital editing and processing. So much stuff now is recorded on a PC and edited with Pro Tools, and that is almost always going to yield a very different (and usually more sterile) sound than something recorded on a mix of analog and digital equipment in the old Morrisound or Sunlight studios (just to name a couple prominent examples).

Another thing that has changed is simply the standards by which we judge a finished recording. Atmosphere was a production goal in the early 90s. Metal records were often swimming in reverb. Nowadays recordings are very dry and up-front by comparison - that's just a standards change, it's not that microphones back then added the reverb automatically or something. On top of that, producers compress their final mixes a lot more than they used to. The capability was always there, it's just that nobody thought it was necessary to pump the perceived volume up so high (at the expense of dynamics).

Those, to me, are the main reasons a lot of modern production sounds comparatively lifeless. And I think it's better suited to pop/radio music than to metal. Most of my favorite metal records are very atmospheric. Hell, even Morrisound albums, which got somewhat of a bad rap at one time, sound gritty and tactile compared to anything Unique Leader has ever put out. For the record, I do own and listen to plenty of modern-sounding death metal. But it's definitely not my favorite sound, and I think Pestilence sounded better with something just a bit more raw.

A M E N !!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
deathevocation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of all the dm "reunions" this one has the least amount of integrity. Fag can fuck off back to his jump da fuck up band C-187.

http://www.myspace.com/c187band
thrashbeast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
As for saying Van Drunen sounded better on Hail of Bullets album than the last Asphyx, you're just obviously an idiot. HoB is the most over-rated, over produced crap around at the minute, Asphyx would slay it even if their new album was rubbish.

I wasn't comparing the music. Even though, as bad as Hail of Bullets is, I think I prefer it over the Asphyx 7". I was comparing the vocals and pointing out how I thought he sounded better on Hail of Bullets. It reminded me of older Asphyx. On that new single, he just has a really annoying screech to his voice.

And to reply to a few comments made regarding new production. Why does everyone always mention bands like Hate Eternal or Monstrosity? Are you afraid to even discover or let your friends in on bands that you love such as Cianide and even Nunslaughter using computer aided audio recording techniques in the studio? I see, it's not cool for the big name, major label bands to do it, but it's alright for the underground shit as long as no one lets out the secret.
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrashbeast wrote:
Devoured Death wrote:
As for saying Van Drunen sounded better on Hail of Bullets album than the last Asphyx, you're just obviously an idiot. HoB is the most over-rated, over produced crap around at the minute, Asphyx would slay it even if their new album was rubbish.

I wasn't comparing the music. Even though, as bad as Hail of Bullets is, I think I prefer it over the Asphyx 7". I was comparing the vocals and pointing out how I thought he sounded better on Hail of Bullets. It reminded me of older Asphyx. On that new single, he just has a really annoying screech to his voice.

And to reply to a few comments made regarding new production. Why does everyone always mention bands like Hate Eternal or Monstrosity? Are you afraid to even discover or let your friends in on bands that you love such as Cianide and even Nunslaughter using computer aided audio recording techniques in the studio? I see, it's not cool for the big name, major label bands to do it, but it's alright for the underground shit as long as no one lets out the secret.

That's fair enough then. I loved his vocals on the Asphyx 7" though, I'd say they were some of the most extreme vocals in death metal!

Obviously 95% of bands these days record digitally. Even if analog studios were more readily available, it is generally cheaper and less time consuming to record digitally and therefore with underground bands with limited cash it is the way to go. My personal problem is when bands like Hate Eternal have obviously very talented musicians, but feel the need to quantize their recordings to remove the human element of the playing. Personally, I don't care about the cheating element, just that I think that kind of production is really mechanical and lacks in feel. I'm more impressed by seeing Derek Roddy live than I am hearing him play on CD.
thrashbeast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the mechanical production you're referring to actually works better with some music. Have you ever heard someone like Derek play as technical as he does on King of All Kings on a basic acoustic kit with no mics or triggers? If so, let me know. I'd be interested in hearing it.

I just really wonder about this stuff these days and why people put so much emphasis on it when discussing an album. I remember when Dawn of the Apocalypse came out and how great that sounded. No one bitched about the production and really, it wasn't too far off from some of the highly produced death metal albums coming out today. How should fast and brutal death metal sound? Like Seven Churches? As great as that is, the production on that sounds so dry and thin compared to a lot of death metal albums today that people regard as emotionless. Really not throwing that comment to anyone in particular. Would like to hear what everyone thinks.
Iscariah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it sounds pretty decent, but nothing in comparison to the two first ones. Pestilence without Drunen is not IT for me although Testimony was not a bad record. Pestilence is playing Inferno here in Norway this weekend for a bunch of retarded Keep of Kalessin fans. I take Asphyx or Hail of Bullets anyday over that crap lineup on inferno this year.
Sadovahr

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, after that horrible experience of their performance with (great) Grave and (amazing) Benediction, I have to say that this reunion by far is a disgrace! Humiliating for what they once were. Poser attitude (Mameli being the king) for nothing. Frankly I gave the new ablum a shot but it's nothing more than (veeery) average. Technically advanced (so what? the fact that they know how to play doesn't helping them much!). Not even close to the old Pestilence. Their set at the gig here was executed like somekind of rehears, Mameli lost his "voice" after a while and his voice transformed into something very hillarious, and a big question-mark was floating all over the place, quite a few even left before the set was over!! In any case, a common rule is that reunions sucks in most cases. Pestilence now is nothing than a polished and pointless zombie. Live are far worse then in studio, a detail which says a lot by it'sself. Who cares about them Anyway? my opinion, fuck them!! Enjoy their first (and great) era and that's it! Asphyx on the other hand still holds the banner high...

btw we'll see them here very soon Twisted Evil

Last edited by Sadovahr on Wed May 06, 2009 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lutfor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least he did a good job of ripping off his own namesake. There are moments that sound convincingly like Consuming Impulse.
TerrorFromBehind

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my view, it's CRAP 100%. The absolute definition for the word CRAP.Just another shitty and pointless re-union amongst hundreads of others you see nowdays (the last decade) in my opinion always. Why the hell should such bands like Pestilence reunite after 15 years of complete inactivity in the death metal scene ? Who (honestly) really does expect to hear something equal to their past releases in 2009 ? This is pure deception and you are blind-guided!! Boycott them, the are fake!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: