P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Black metal: stale and boring for last 15 years?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm listening Ancient's Demos.
Let the beatings begin....... Embarassed
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:
Right now I'm listening Ancient's Demos.
Let the beatings begin....... Embarassed

Rather than beat you, I think i will put on Svartalvheim for the fuck of it...
metalmaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:
metalmaster wrote:
I think that for (most of) those like me who have listened Black Metal for many many years the genere has turned into something boring, for newer guys new bands would sound great.

I guess a lot of it depends on what you come to expect from black metal.

New fans find new bands, who are kind of like hardcore bands. Different styles, same songwriting, same ideas.

Old bands have roughly the same style, and similar ideas, but each has its own personality and is a clear leader. There are no leaders now.

So if you come into the genre on the new bands, you might end up hating the quality bands... they don't fit your image.

yeah, I agree. To me new bands are no of interest while I can still hear the old ones with the same thrill I used to had when I first heard them
chambord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pushing 37, been into this music back when Euronymous was still alive, etc, etc. Not bragging, just proving your "theory" dead wrong. Smile It's not a black and white issue, music is subjective. Some people believe there are quality black metal bands that have always emerged whether the year is 1994 or 2004, and others truly believe there hasn't been one single good band out of the thousands that exist in the last 15 years. Again, these are opinions. For some fans it's hard to separate music quality from nostalgia.
getfuckedbro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into metal in 2002, i liked old and new bands at the time, i.e. bathory and taake, i didnt have much of a concept of metal history so i didn't distinguish between old and new bands... when my hard drive was full and i had to delete music to add anything else... most of the stuff i deleted happened to be Deathspell Omega, leviathan, drudkh etc, and i kept burzum, blasphemy and incantation. eventually i realised i kept all the old bands. wasn't really pre-meditated to 'keep-it-old-skool' or anything. I'm with the OP.
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chambord wrote:
For some fans it's hard to separate music quality from nostalgia.

If they cannot separate music quality from nostalgia, they would not like any bands from BEFORE or AFTER they were teenagers, correct?

I don't think the theory holds up.

People have different standards. And they like different things. Quality however is objective or nearly so.
chambord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely, quality is objective. I mean, people tell me all the time how great Satyricon used to be but honestly that band has never had a good album.. DMT has some of the lamest guitar riffs ever, Shadowthrone embodies 'bland black metal' and Nemesis Divina is more in the league of Darkness Enthrone Triumphant than any real Norwegian black metal, but they're one of the "original" bands constantly heralded as being so classic and legendary. I could name at least a dozen bands from 2000 onward who obliterate "old" garbage bands like that.

Quality.. objective. Smile
Dodens Grav

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty bold claim to make considering that that's a hotly debated topic in aesthetic philosophy to this day. Obviously what is quality and what is something that one likes are not the same thing, but that doesn't imply in any way that what is "quality" is objective or can be determined objectively, without even offering up a concrete definition of what "quality" means.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: