P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Black metal: stale and boring for last 15 years?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think people today actually like what flows from their speakers. They enjoy having "contacts", hanging out and showing off the latest t-shirt they bought. They enjoy being apart of something. This is the only logical explanation I have for the total lack of standard today and why people are so quick to shout "killer!" in regards to any pathetic attempt to make Metal that comes down the pike. Every week it's a new band who is a mix between *blank* and *blank*.

Bands in the 80's never had "let me know what you think" attempt to making Metal. They had attitude and weren't afraid to say "we're the best, fuck you". Bands today come across like hobbyists and the "fans" come off like ass lickers, too afraid to tell the truth, out of fear of what the "scene" might think of them.

In the 80's and even the early 90's, you can make a mix tape and each band sounded different and had their own identity. The bands were good enough to where people didn't need a million different ones for their little "scene". Bands today try to be original, but since they don't understand Metal, they can't manage to do it without just coming across as totally stupid.

What is a scene anyway? Besides a social club? "Support the scene" is the most stupid concept I can think of. Because it means to support any ol' dog shit just for the sake of having the social club.

"They have long hair, pointy guitars and are loud and fast! Support! If you don't, then you must not like Metal!"

Support good bands, not Metal in general or scenes.
FuneralCircle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:
I don't think people today actually like what flows from their speakers. They enjoy having "contacts", hanging out and showing off the latest t-shirt they bought. They enjoy being apart of something. This is the only logical explanation I have for the total lack of standard today and why people are so quick to shout "killer!" in regards to any pathetic attempt to make Metal that comes down the pike. Every week it's a new band who is a mix between *blank* and *blank*.

Bands in the 80's never had "let me know what you think" attempt to making Metal. They had attitude and weren't afraid to say "we're the best, fuck you". Bands today come across like hobbyists and the "fans" come off like ass lickers, too afraid to tell the truth, out of fear of what the "scene" might think of them.

In the 80's and even the early 90's, you can make a mix tape and each band sounded different and had their own identity. The bands were good enough to where people didn't need a million different ones for their little "scene". Bands today try to be original, but since they don't understand Metal, they can't manage to do it without just coming across as totally stupid.

What is a scene anyway? Besides a social club? "Support the scene" is the most stupid concept I can think of. Because it means to support any ol' dog shit just for the sake of having the social club.

"They have long hair, pointy guitars and are loud and fast! Support! If you don't, then you must not like Metal!"

Support good bands, not Metal in general or scenes.

You're only half right, because you're disregarding new advances and means of communication, a much broader metal scene where the typical sound of the 80s has been pushed way to the back in favor of a more "BROOTAL" approach, and fans are mostly a mix of older, cynical and jaded metalheads who complain about everything, or youngsters who are trying to get into the scene without having to tread on every landmine around them, otherwise they get hollered about my folks such as yourself who has to complain about the scene, but does nothing in his power to remedy it when you're fully capable to.

I'm not saying that what you're saying is trash, far from it, I just think that you're ignoring some very vital changes that came along in the 90s and through the millenium that has changed how we communicate, how our ideas spread, and how we manage ourselves either as listeners of metal noise, or as someone who plays in a band.

And I can name quite a few bands these days that sound completely original but have that "80s" feel to them. That's not the same as them trying to mimick and emulate the sound of the 80s, longing for it to come back... I won't lie, I wasn't even around at that time, so I'd say that at least on my own behalf it'd be bullshit to accuse me of that.
Bestial Aggressor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares? I don't know why people are so obsessed with genres when it comes to metal. Good metal is good metal and there is more than enough of it to keep me satisfied.
Pro Abortion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbid69 wrote:
Negative Plane, Katharsis, Christicide, Weapon, Misery's Omen, Urfaust, Kaosritual, S.V.E.S.T, Absu, Prevalent Resistance, Luror, The Ruins of Beverast, Paysage D'Hiver....

Black metal sure does suck lately.

don't forget Funeral Mist.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro Abortion wrote:
Morbid69 wrote:
Negative Plane, Katharsis, Christicide, Weapon, Misery's Omen, Urfaust, Kaosritual, S.V.E.S.T, Absu, Prevalent Resistance, Luror, The Ruins of Beverast, Paysage D'Hiver....

Black metal sure does suck lately.

don't forget Funeral Mist.

I tried not to forget them, but their albums forced me to.
Pro Abortion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
Conservationist wrote:

I still haven't heard anyone mentioning stuff with the force and majesty of early Emperor, Burzum, Graveland, Mayhem, Immortal, etc.

Most of those bands suck IMO.

What a unique and controversial opinion. dronevil is a rebel who doesn't play by the rules.
Voodoo Idol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much fucking time is what you people have, WAY too much. I wish I had these problems.

Here's some real world advice: BUY THE FUCKING ALBUM IF IT'S GOOD, DON'T BUY THE FUCKING ALBUM IF IT SUCKS.

If that's not enough, do something about it by starting an original band instead of writing up pseudo-analytical bullshit on a message board.
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your point of reference is going to affect your perceived greatness of bands. The first BM I heard in the 90's was Beherit and Emperor. Beherit sounded like sloppy grindcore to me, and Emperor sounded like static. I didn't like either very much at first listen. At that time I was listening to a ton of death, grind and crust HC bands. So my point of reference was skewing how the bands sounded to me.

Now, after listening heavily to 100s of BM albums, it might seem everything is generic and has been done before, but of course had any of these been the first couple BM releases I heard, they might have sounded like the greatest thing ever. If anything you certainly have most bands and styles to choose from now; early 90's black metal you could collect all the key releases with a couple of paychecks. Now noone can keep up with every new release or claim "there is no good BM out there" as it's just impossible to hear it all.

Claiming there is simply no passion in BM anymore or the scene is overrun by posers with no original ideas, I dont know. The classic BM albums of Burzum, Immortal, Darkthrone were made by folks mostly listening to death metal, sometimes having only been playing black metal for a year before their classic album was released. By today's standards those bands were "posers" who were fresh into black metal, but that freshness and relative naivety to the style turned out unique music which became classic.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voodoo Idol wrote:
Too much fucking time is what you people have, WAY too much. I wish I had these problems.

Here's some real world advice: BUY THE FUCKING ALBUM IF IT'S GOOD, DON'T BUY THE FUCKING ALBUM IF IT SUCKS.

If that's not enough, do something about it by starting an original band instead of writing up pseudo-analytical bullshit on a message board.

Seems like you had the same amount of free time and chose to spend it exactly the same way... Razz
FuneralCircle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
Voodoo Idol wrote:

Seems like you had the same amount of free time and chose to spend it exactly the same way... Razz

No shit eh.
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacy Catlin wrote:
Your point of reference is going to affect your perceived greatness of bands. The first BM I heard in the 90's was Beherit and Emperor. Beherit sounded like sloppy grindcore to me, and Emperor sounded like static. I didn't like either very much at first listen. At that time I was listening to a ton of death, grind and crust HC bands. So my point of reference was skewing how the bands sounded to me.

Looking beyond production values, if every band out there were played on a piano, which would have the melodies/rhythms/structures that you would still want to hear?

Emperor, Burzum, Immortal, King Crimson, Slayer, etc still sound good on a piano -- you may have to adjust tempo -- but I don't think, for example, Fall Out Boy would.
Pazuzu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotos-kalanda wrote:
why the fuck is this thread even here? do people on this forum listen to black metal? i didn't notice between the zillion death metal/deathrash/thrash/kvltfagostampcollectinghobbymetal threads... Rolling Eyes

I hate black metal.

NP: Mortuary Drape
"Order From Chaos, this band knows how to metal and they know how to satan and they most definitely know how to arghgh. It dosen't suck dick and thats why faggots don't like them. I have entered the stillbirth machine, I suggest you cum too."
chambord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think nostalgia plays a massive role in the minds of those who say modern black metal is no good and only the old stuff is worthwhile. There's plenty of excellent black metal out there in my book.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame all the problems in my life on liberals and drum triggers.
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chambord wrote:
There's plenty of excellent black metal out there in my book.

Lots of people say that, but they rarely mention them, and in the past I've never been impressed by these lists picked more for novelty and rarity than musical power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: