P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Black metal: stale and boring for last 15 years?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Black metal: stale and boring for last 15 years? Reply with quote

seraphackh wrote:
Quote:
... Black metal has been so stale and boring for the last fifteen years ...

I think you need to get your ears open! Rolling Eyes
No offense, but it's not that all Black Metal bands have been waiting for Beherit to return just to get new ideas.

I disagree, obviously. Since 1994, except for a handful of releases, black metal has been completely stale. It has lost touch of its ideas, and the releases have nothing to communicate. So instead, they feast on the past, either repeating it or recombining it with "radical influences" that are more recapitulation of its origins than innovation.

Music is not style. Music is substance, and style is part of that. But style without substance results in incoherent, repetitive garbage that tricks itself out with some garnishes but never wins over hearts and minds like the early days of modern black metal.

I'd love it if you showed me some mind-blowingly great stuff. However, having had this conversation a billion times, and having gotten a list of recombinant names that turned out to be recombinant music, I have to say I have low expectations: fans now simply don't recognize quality music.

It's not their fault, but what they like, I don't. Hence the old school fanaticism -and- a yearning for a new evolution to shake the spine of this stale, moribund, decrepit, hidebound genre.
Down there...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it anything different than what happened to Death Metal, Thrash and Heavy Metal? They all had a period where the best stuff came out and then the novelty wore off, there was too many bands producing complete crap. I'd say you're about right with the timeline. about 1994/95 things went to shit. It got good again in the late 90s and while its still nowhere near as good as it was, there are some great bands around nowadays doing Black Metal, albeit with some added touches which make it refreshing again.

Then again, it could be just the age you are. I found the underground in about 1991, towards the end of the DM trend and I was 12/13 when the Black Metal underground started to take off in around 92 - so thats "my period", others have the 80s and think that was the be all and end all, for me it's early 90s Black Metal from Holland, Finland and Norway. It's all relative. Theres some kid somewhere who in 15 years will be looking back at 2009 as the golden age...

One trend I'm glad is coming back is Heavy Metal..bands like Enforcer, In Solitude etc...and the dirty DM like Tribulation.
seraphackh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I disagree here but first of all: I can understand that black metal (or metal in general) might often come across as stale and sometimes boring.

But in my opinion this is owing to the perception of the listener. I can agree with the fact that there are loads of bands repeating things past and even themselves, maybe most of them are redundant in a way.
But as you mention the big picture: if you don't find many bands still doing something original and vital, your picture isn't big enough and you don't look close enough, so to say!

It's easy to say bands from 1980 (!) to 1994 have been better and more original as they had to face a totally different situation (no internet, no mainstream mags, much less business involved, more fans).
However, I think there are quite some bands today, still doing something original, going against the grain, being creators instead of copyists. You just have to ignore the scene ramblings and dig through the redundant crap nowadays to find them.
Dodens Grav

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea that "quality" art cannot recycle old ideas and use old templates is and has always been retarded, despite what ANUS continues to say.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1994? Nargaroth's last good album was in 1666 B.C!
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black metal is an enduring genre because there are less
restrictions and more room to experiment.
Thrash and speed metal was a formula that
was followed to a strict standard by most bands.
There were exceptions, but I tend to listen to black metal
more than any other genre.
Caina

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

www.myspace.com/cainaband
http://www.last.fm/user/WilburWhateley

Good traders/sellers: Yosuke, Grief, s.charlach x2, Blekt , headnhalf x2, destrucSEAN, Sadovahr x3, GROUND ZERO Entertainment, Ykh
FuneralCircle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word... Faustcoven.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many good bands today, but few are truly carrying the torch from the days of Deathlike Silence Prod. and the golden years of Osmose.

Not many are setting new standards basically. Everyone wants to "sound like" the old bands, rather than try to carry on and actually take what the old bands did a step further.

Even the bands that I consider "of today" are already 10 years old, at least.
AntiChrist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been said to the point of cliche, but the unerring proclamation of many: "Unless you were there back then, you will never understand" has never rung truer than now.
Slaughter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caina wrote:
Werewolf wrote:

I would like to know the source for these Kanwulf-comments... Did he lie about the age of Nargaroth in some zine or what? Ridiculous band anyway.
HHJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i completley disagree
sure there are bands that are pandering and derivative,but what genre doesnt have such bands?
nexxxion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's all crybaby attitude. all of these people should open their fucking handicapped ears.
Mz412

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaughter wrote:
Caina wrote:
Werewolf wrote:

I would like to know the source for these Kanwulf-comments... Did he lie about the age of Nargaroth in some zine or what? Ridiculous band anyway.

yes
ENOLA GOAT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree 100%. sure the early nineties set standards - but honestly - beside a few of the pioneers many of those bands are way overrated in my opinion!
new bands are popping out all the time - and I keep having my faith in ug bm renewed. it's time to dry your eyes and open your fucking ears!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: