P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

VERSUS #1: Mercyful Fate vs. Venom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iron tyrant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a thread.

Just like asking if you love your mother or your father the most.

Professor Black wrote:
NWOBHM is not a style of music.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOTH!

I don't have to choose one over the other. Well, if I did...it would be easier to to basis it on the newer material by both, rather than the old. For that I'd have to say Mercyful Fate.

Venom is the Cronos Band now.
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nexxxion wrote:
Venom is overrated.

Now this is just ignorant.

Rósachd wrote:
Bring bacl Varg and Snorre!
Ihslahm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being around 12 and believing both Venom and Mercyful fate were both truely satanic and trying to figure out if it made more sense that Satan was the chaos of venom, or the complex dark elegance of MF. I never figured it out....but I listen to Melissa more now than any Venom, and again I'd opt for Welcome to Hell over Black Metal, but Warhead/Seven Gates of Hell ep probably gets probably get the most plays around here
Uncolored

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
I just can't stand King Diamond's voice, so I never liked MF.

same for me

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me these are two of my fave albums, and though Venom kinda created the blueprint for black metal, I find myself in awe of the early MF stuff and give extra kudos to KD for being a serious thinker possessing a deeper and more considered level of thought.
Venom works in a completely different way and though I love 'Black Metal' and think that the unbridled barbarism of it is awesome, I think 'Melissa' has to come out in front. No one sounds like KD either which is killer!

When Cronos sings 'Riding hells stallions bareback and free' I always think of one of the scenes from the first Planet of the Apes movie. It's hard to take that shit too seriously. I would have been keen to see 'Black Metal' stacked up against 'The Return' or even better 'Under The Sign...' Doubt it would have fared so well... It's funny what comes out when you start critiquing records. Something that you have played to death can readily come under serious scrutiny when assessed in a detail by detail manner.
Then the devil must...

http://www.blackmetalrevolution.com/preview.html
http://www.blackmetalrevolution.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/bmrevolution
CR99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuns Have No Fun vs. Welcome To Hell = draw
both did great to awesome albums after these, but I think Venom are very shitty while MF/KD are still strong today
Dread Records

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood and Thunder wrote:
For me these are two of my fave albums, and though Venom kinda created the blueprint for black metal, I find myself in awe of the early MF stuff and give extra kudos to KD for being a serious thinker possessing a deeper and more considered level of thought.
Venom works in a completely different way and though I love 'Black Metal' and think that the unbridled barbarism of it is awesome, I think 'Melissa' has to come out in front. No one sounds like KD either which is killer!

When Cronos sings 'Riding hells stallions bareback and free' I always think of one of the scenes from the first Planet of the Apes movie. It's hard to take that shit too seriously. I would have been keen to see 'Black Metal' stacked up against 'The Return' or even better 'Under The Sign...' Doubt it would have fared so well... It's funny what comes out when you start critiquing records. Something that you have played to death can readily come under serious scrutiny when assessed in a detail by detail manner.

I totally agree with you.

www.dreadrecords.net
Voodoo Idol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercyful Fate, no contest. There's a grandeur in their song-writing in tracks like Satan's Fall that reflects the classic idea and visual of the fallen angel like absolutely nothing else in heavy music to me. I've always admired and loved the level of seriousness in their musicianship and skill in general. King Diamond always came off as a really intelligent and thoughtful guy to me, even through some of the layers of B-horror content here and there. These guys were so much more Black Metal than most of the shit calling itself that combined, it's not even funny.
spectre

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melissa easily; I agree that Welcome to Hell is better than Black Metal anyway. Need I say any more than: "Upon A Burnin' Cross/The Lord Jesus, Satan's Above/It must be a shame to see the Lord fallin' again/Now Rise, Reconcile with the powers of darkness/Uncover a saint/You Better believe or see for yourself."

First-era Mercyful Fate for me is a gold standard that looms above everything else ever done by any band; I'm a little fanatical about my MF/KD but they are my favorite bands. Old Mercyful Fate in my mind is the blackest band to ever record music.
Opolus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iron tyrant wrote:
What a thread.

Just like asking if you love your mother or your father the most.

You actually nailed it, Luca! Both bands give me that particuluar "How ridiculously great is THAT!?!"-feeling any given time I play the early classic records. What I still don't get, how people question VENOM's seriousness? When I fucking listen to tracks like e. g. "To Hell And Back", "Sacrifice" or "Don't Burn The Witch" I don't hear any fun AT ALL!! If you don't hear the E.V.I.L. in those early VENOM records, you're obviously screwed!
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a Venom Interview:

"Question:About Venom's thematology.How did this whole matter with Satanism began?Until then only Black sabbath had dared to mantion it,but they were on the christian and lighter side of the matter.

Cronos: Yes,indeed Black Sabbath were a fantastic band.But their lyrics were too light.I'll give it to you as an example of movies.Black Sabbath were Dracula and the ghosts,we wanted to be the zombies,the demons,the true evil.Black Sabbath had these lyrics "Oh God help me" but we prefered to say "Fuck all these,i don't need God...",etc.Black Sabbath were saying "Save us from Satan",while we suggested the opposite because that's how we felt from our music,like Satan is my friend,i drink with him and have fun,i want him besides me.We trully want to make something like a mightmare,something trully evil."

That doesn't take anything away from the band in my opinion. I am not one of those who thinks fun has no place in metal! Evil and fun seem to go hand in hand for me.
Bestial Aggressor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercyful Fate and Venom are on an entirely different wave length. Whilst I love both recordings I have to say Melissa, simply because of the musicianship and consistent darkness throughout the whole album. Welcome to Hell has some truely sinister moments too, like '1000 days in Sodom' or 'Schizo', but overall lacks the same mystique and focus as MF.
OrdenSatani

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Metal = better than Welcome to Hell

King Diamond "Conspiracy" = the greatest KD album

Mercyful Fate = better than both
R. Witchfucker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I surely like Welcome to Hell and Black Metal , but compared to Mercyful Fate Melissa and Dont Break The Oath ?? common !!

Mercyful Fate at least in those times had a more serious atmosphere and essence regarding Satanism, the knowledge of the occult in the lyrics is very good and mysterious , MY FAVORITE .

Venom is like , "hey im 14 years old lets piss outside a church " attitude , or "hey im a 43 year old fat loser , mom please give me money for my 30th Venom gig " obviously im not generalizing the situation but you get the point .

Mercyful Fate Wins !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: