P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Turntable recommendations?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anotherdeadhero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numark Pro TT-2 is da shit! Cool

Astaroth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisehunter wrote:
Rega does very good TT's as well. I have got few years personal experience with P3. I have also had vintage Thorens TD-165 and Pioneer PL-A45D of which the latter was pretty much crap. Wish I never sold the Thorens for that piece of crap. Thorens was missing the dust cover and I thought the P looked better with one. Looked better, but sounded like crap and was pain in the ass to use.

Technics has a tonearm with removable headshell making the change of cartridge easier. On a contrary the extra moving parts does no good. The arm should be solid to be able to pass forward as much vibrations as possible. Pro-ject has a loose counterweight, once again, no good. The counterweight vibrates during the use making the tracking harder. If I had to choose between Technics and Pro-ject, I'd go with Technics SL-1200MKII though. It has all the needed adjustments.

The best thing to do is to go and listen to some TT's at your dealer.

Listen to this man.

Rega FTW.
Moose of Doom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wanted to get an ELP http://www.elpj.com/main.html
Then my vinyl would last a lot longer than I would.
Nosliw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose of Doom wrote:

I don't know if it'd work well on coloured vinyl records though. I've heard anecdotes that it works only for black records.

Anyways, I'm STILL looking around for a good turntable to get rid of my piece of shit Sony thing. There's no way I can afford a Technics SL1200 anywhere within my area and I'd lean towards an entry level Rega or Pro-Ject turntable. If anyone have experiences with those two and if they work well for metal and any other genres out there, and what cartridge to use.

T/S List: http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4783
adrian5118

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nosliw wrote:
Moose of Doom wrote:

I don't know if it'd work well on coloured vinyl records though. I've heard anecdotes that it works only for black records.

Anyways, I'm STILL looking around for a good turntable to get rid of my piece of shit Sony thing. There's no way I can afford a Technics SL1200 anywhere within my area and I'd lean towards an entry level Rega or Pro-Ject turntable. If anyone have experiences with those two and if they work well for metal and any other genres out there, and what cartridge to use.

I know it seems out of your price range, but I have yet to hear a TT play so well in comparison to a 1200/1210. I just saw a 1210 for only $465 shipped on Amazon, and finally bought one. I cannot wait, and I have been for a year. I really recommend just saving for one, or prostituting. Smile
Noisehunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nosliw wrote:

Should you pick any of those, you will have a very good entry level TT. If I was you, I would have a look at the 2nd hand market and specially look for the older Rega P3 (post- Planar 3/pre- P3-24). You could get one of those for very nice price. Just make sure it has not been modified. I bought mine new for 490€ (+the cartridge 35€). P3-24 has better powersupply, motor and tonearm making it more pricey. But let me tell you, it sounds amazing!

A lot of people seem to use Ortofon carts with Pro-ject (I just installed 2M Red to my friends RPM5 couple of months back and it sure sounds OK). I had Audio Technica AT95E (later on the same cart with Shibata stylus [THIS IS A KILLER COMBINATION (at least) IN REGA!]). Denons are said to work very well on Regas too.

www.audiogon.com has a lot of TTs from dealers and private sellers coming and going. have a look at there daily, there's a lot of good deals around.
adrian5118

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisehunter wrote:
Nosliw wrote:

Should you pick any of those, you will have a very good entry level TT. If I was you, I would have a look at the 2nd hand market and specially look for the older Rega P3 (post- Planar 3/pre- P3-24). You could get one of those for very nice price. Just make sure it has not been modified. I bought mine new for 490€ (+the cartridge 35€). P3-24 has better powersupply, motor and tonearm making it more pricey. But let me tell you, it sounds amazing!

A lot of people seem to use Ortofon carts with Pro-ject (I just installed 2M Red to my friends RPM5 couple of months back and it sure sounds OK). I had Audio Technica AT95E (later on the same cart with Shibata stylus [THIS IS A KILLER COMBINATION (at least) IN REGA!]). Denons are said to work very well on Regas too.

www.audiogon.com has a lot of TTs from dealers and private sellers coming and going. have a look at there daily, there's a lot of good deals around.

Do those 2M cartridges (specifically the red and the blue) live up to their hype? Would you recommend them over, say, the Shure M97xE?
Noisehunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrian5118 wrote:
Do those 2M cartridges (specifically the red and the blue) live up to their hype? Would you recommend them over, say, the Shure M97xE?

Sorry, cannot help you with that one really as I've never heard any Shure cart at work if I recall. The same goes to 2M Blue. Anyway, for the hour or so I've been listening to 2M Red on PRM5 IMO it sounded very acceptable and it most likely gets even better with some more hours of use.
maranatha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turntables at this price range are usually crap. You can have the stability of a Technics MKII, but the arm and sound is fucking crap. On the other hand there are these new rega/project ones which even though they play a hundred times better than the MKII, they are unstable as hell and need an exterior power supply unit to fix the sinus wave.

So to sum it up, if you want to enjoy the art of Blasphemy and Sarcofago exclusively this discussion is useless. Buy anything. But, on the other hand, if you want to enjoy your music correctly you need to give at least 1000 dollars.
zbielak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the real thing Rockport Systems Sirius III:

but it costs 70 000 $ so unfortunately it's not affordable at this moment, so I will stick to my SME deck, and yes - on the pic above, it's whole the turntable...
Noisehunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maranatha wrote:
Turntables at this price range are usually crap. You can have the stability of a Technics MKII, but the arm and sound is fucking crap. On the other hand there are these new rega/project ones which even though they play a hundred times better than the MKII, they are unstable as hell and need an exterior power supply unit to fix the sinus wave.

True. This means less vibration to the body of TT and more accurate/stable RPM running of the platter. That's why the new Rega P3-24 can be upgraded with external PSU. The older versions didn't have this option. It costs a bit, but is easy to install later on.
Even the finest of TT's have their faults. Principles of physics.

maranatha wrote:
So to sum it up, if you want to enjoy the art of Blasphemy and Sarcofago exclusively this discussion is useless. Buy anything.

The music pressed on the vinyl does not change, it's about how much information the stylus tip can dig out the grooves. Even with SarcóI_LOVE_PENIS or Blasphemy. Another thing is, who thinks it's worth it. I definitely do at least to some point which I haven't met yet.
Demonomancy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a good used Thorens or Dual. Better than most of the Technics/Sony crap and they don´t look like Disco players.
Noisehunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonomancy wrote:
get a good used Thorens or Dual. Better than most of the Technics/Sony crap and they don´t look like Disco players.

My parents have an entry-level Dual (CS-505-? if I recall). The tonearm bearing is total crap, even it works perfectly for what it is. It might be even worse than plastic crap Dux I had as my first "turntable". The Dux is just about the same shit than the other plastic cheapos. However, this surely ain't no case with every model of Dual. Just giving an example, not any is good. But, yeah, some better 70's Thorens will sure kick some ass. My old TD-165 sure did. And do not forget Linn Sondek LP12! There's a reason why it has been on production since it was introduced in 1972.
Demonomancy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisehunter wrote:
Demonomancy wrote:

My parents have an entry-level Dual (CS-505-? if I recall). The tonearm bearing is total crap, even it works perfectly for what it is. It might be even worse than plastic crap Dux I had as my first "turntable". The Dux is just about the same shit than the other plastic cheapos. However, this surely ain't no case with every model of Dual. Just giving an example, not any is good. But, yeah, some better 70's Thorens will sure kick some ass. My old TD-165 sure did. And do not forget Linn Sondek LP12! There's a reason why it has been on production since it was introduced in 1972.

Every company has done some crappy players....

My Thorens TD 2001 plays fine since many years. I got if 2nd hand for 230 eur in Perfect condition. something you´ll own the half of your life.
Noisehunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonomancy wrote:
My Thorens TD 2001 plays fine since many years. I got if 2nd hand for 230 eur in Perfect condition. something you´ll own the half of your life.

Amen to that. If you haven't done it yet, find someone who knows how to change new springs and set up the suspension. It will sing like never before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: