P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Size of a Print Run?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FallenChrist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Size of a Print Run? Reply with quote

So, I recently started up a fanzine. It's not going to be anything too fancy, just a bunch of interviews (already have Karnarium, Infinitum Obscure, Graveyard, and many others) and reviews of true ancient Death Metal totaling around 70-80 B&W A5 pages. But, my question is, how many copies should I get printed for the first issue? I've never done this before, so I'm trying to gauge the interest level for it. Thanks.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 500 copies is where you start to see prices go down if you're getting it offset printed. If it's xerox then it really doesn't matter.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Wilhelm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Size of a Print Run? Reply with quote

FallenChrist wrote:
So, I recently started up a fanzine. It's not going to be anything too fancy, just a bunch of interviews (already have Karnarium, Infinitum Obscure, Graveyard, and many others) and reviews of true ancient Death Metal totaling around 70-80 B&W A5 pages. But, my question is, how many copies should I get printed for the first issue? I've never done this before, so I'm trying to gauge the interest level for it. Thanks.

I've done this for awhile (since 1996), so here's my advice:

Start off small. 2009 isn't 1999. Zines don't move as well as they used to. Print 50-100 copies (xerox) of your zine to begin with and see how people respond to it. Then print more as necessary. (by the way, it's good practice to send the interviewee a free copy to compensate for the time he/she took to respond to your questions).

Xeroxing a zine (especially a big one) can be a fucking headache too if you're doing it yourself. It's not as cost effective as off set either, but at least you have more CONTROL over how many copies you print and how much money you dump into it. To reduce the bullshit just get it printed via these guys:

http://www.bestvaluecopy.com/

$0.04 a copy (double sided). Can't beat that.

Go brush your doll's hair.
Wilhelm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quote for ya by the way. For an 80 page, A5 sized zine @ 100 copies, you'd be looking at $80 (before postage). Postage included, it should be less than $1 per copy. That's not bad if you sell the zine for $4-$5 USD.

Go brush your doll's hair.
Mastubator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the number of contacts you have who might distribute copies and how many you could sell locally (the ONLY way to sell at the moment seems to be to wander the streets trying to flog them off outside gigs.).

I wouldn't recommend more than 250 unless you'd be willing to sit on copies for years on end. Wait till you've built up a bit of a profile before going all out with glossy covers/1000+ print run/and all the rest of it.
Imperative Coronation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good zine, I'd pick one up.
Ross Liew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a start, sell it at cost price (excl shipping) and build a name up for yourself. Down the road, advertisers (UG labels/demo bands) might pay for the exposure if you can spread many copies around. If its cheap, i believe fans will still buy it. Accept (request) criticisms/feedback so you know where to improve and where to tone down.

Alternatively try the "internet age" model of offering it at whatever price the person is willing to pay for it. Should be enough to cover costs. There could be a few who won;t pay but am sure most metalheads gave good sense and will support your cost of xerox/time for putting it together.

You could also collaborate with UG labels in adding CD-r/CDs along with it but sharing the pressing costs with the labels or the bands and you help distribute it free with your zine. Could help increase attractiveness of the zine.

Not sure if i;m making good sense but hopefully could trigger some ideas. Good luck!
snaps666

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made 150 of Deadbangers # 1 (incl. official Victimizer live MC), and they're almost all sold out now one month later. We did a fair amount of trading with distros as well.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I printed 150 copies of Evil's Best#2 (92 b/w pages, A5 format), put 40 copies in a local Metal shop, sold a few, sent copies to those I interviewed and traded the rest with labels, who sent me CD's and tapes in return. Since I took more than 1 copy of some of the albums, I'm trying to sell some of them here in my country, to recover the cash I spent for printing it. It's not a fast process, but it works.
HHJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Size of a Print Run? Reply with quote

[quote=]
Start off small. [/quote]

indeed,you can always print more later if there is demand
HHJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilhelm wrote:
Here's a quote for ya by the way. For an 80 page, A5 sized zine @ 100 copies, you'd be looking at $80 (before postage). Postage included, it should be less than $1 per copy. That's not bad if you sell the zine for $4-$5 USD.

Shocked that is ridiculously cheap
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I xeroxed my older issues by the demand, and still do... haha. It's less expensive when you do lower quantities... sometimes you can deal with the copy centre place too - I did that once, in Ottawa. I had bought 2000 copies in advance, then they take copies off as you do it. Buying in larger quantities = always cheaper per unit.
HHJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire Commando wrote:
I xeroxed my older issues by the demand, and still do... haha. It's less expensive when you do lower quantities... sometimes you can deal with the copy centre place too - I did that once, in Ottawa. I had bought 2000 copies in advance, then they take copies off as you do it. Buying in larger quantities = always cheaper per unit.

indeed...but 2000 is alot!
sure id like that many but maybe thats too much..
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It goes pretty fast actually... let's say you have 60 pages (15 pages, double-sided, folded in two), it will cost you 30 copies to make one zine. With 2000 pre-paid copies, you can make 66 examples of your zine... etc.
HHJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire Commando wrote:
It goes pretty fast actually... let's say you have 60 pages (15 pages, double-sided, folded in two), it will cost you 30 copies to make one zine. With 2000 pre-paid copies, you can make 66 examples of your zine... etc.

thats true
i guess the thing was,when i did my first run i was really quite poor and just did 100,could never imagine priting 2000
the zine was 59 pgs

they did go extremely fast though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: