P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

"Growing out of Metal"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kill Monument

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

My first gig was Megadeth/ Pantera in 92, aged 10. I had been into metal a couple of years at that stage after hearing 'Appetite For Destruction' and then Metallica, Slayer, Suicidal Tendencies... Still love it now, even moreso actually. It doesn't matter a shite to me if someone grows out of Metal. It is a personal buzz.

www.facebook.com/malthusianDM
Morbid69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mum still likes The Doors, Stones, Beatles, Joplin, etc
The_Elite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 31, 17 years of listening to metal, and I am becoming more 'into' metal the older I get, and the more disposable income I have.

Saying that I also listen to a lot more non metal now- I guess when you're younger you feel you have to be into one or the other, but you eventually realise it is possible to listen to Beherit AND Bjork.
SepticSchizo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I stalk old friends on facebook, no one seems to be into metal anymore. I had a 7 year break myself. I was one of those thrashers who got into grunge and alternativemetal like FNM and RATM in the early/mid ninetees, and then just stopped listening to music all toghether. Picked up metal again in 2000.
Crepuscolar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not growing out of anything, my taste only gets wider and wider it seems.
passetiermes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:
I'm 31, 17 years of listening to metal, and I am becoming more 'into' metal the older I get, and the more disposable income I have.

Saying that I also listen to a lot more non metal now- I guess when you're younger you feel you have to be into one or the other, but you eventually realise it is possible to listen to Beherit AND Bjork.

Amen to Beherit and Björk! I have always liked many types of music, combining Pet Shop Boys and Darkthrone is a problem only for losers.
Wink
SpectralRipper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i growing out of everything that isnt warmetal/raw blackmetal or satanic deathmetal. am probably getting more and more stupid as years pass. i used to listen to all kinds of shit when i was younger. i even liked shit like old neil young , tom waits , johnny cash, johnny rebel Smile etc...must be a reverse thing with me. "de-evolution"
Jacy Catlin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been into the extreme side of metal for nearly 20 years, starting doing my paper route at age 12 with Bolt Thrower, Deicide, Carcass, Napalm Death etc playing on my walkman. Still probably 80% of what I own/listen to is metal, but lately I don't get as excited about metal as other stuff I'm into, as far as collecting and hearing new bands.

I suppose after a certain point you know the genre and scene well enough that tracking down new obscure acts or new sounds isn't as exciting as it is for genres you know nothing about and still have a lot to discover.
peterott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

passetiermes wrote:
The_Elite wrote:

Amen to Beherit and Björk! I have always liked many types of music, combining Pet Shop Boys and Darkthrone is a problem only for losers.
Wink

Do some DJing in a local youth center and play Pet Shop Boys followed by Darkthrone.

Or do some DJing in a metal pub and play Darkthrone followed by Pet Shop Boys.

In both places you find the word intolerance carved on the forehead of 50% of the crowd. Wink
(I once did it with Lenny Kravitz followed by Samael - Worship Him. The result was disastrous but highly enjoyable in my local youth center of my hometown with mostly alternative people hanging out there).
Humus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm 22 and most of the guys who were my age and really active at age 16 in metal (magazines, organizing concerts etc) can now be found at megadancings, rave's and goa's.
Down there...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been listening to metal since the mid 80s. used be a pretty uptight metal only, then black metal only in the early 90s. now i couldn't give a fuck, if its good i listen to it. oh yeah, big country lover. i didnt grow out of metal but for the last few years i definitely have less and less time and interest in the "scene" and all the twats that come with it..thats what turning 30 does to you Wink
Werewolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 22 as well, started to listen to Metal 7-8 years ago. I enjoyed old Soviet Rock since the age of 4-5, but knew that there's something way heavier that I would probably like even more. Everything became clear when I heard POWERSLAVE and a bit later KILL 'EM ALL. Now I'm into the same great old Heavy, Thrash & Blackened Thrash and 80-'s-early 90's Death Metal. I discover more and more good underground bands almost on daily basis, but never actually get tired of Metal. But that's just me, I usually either really hate something or like it a lot and get obsessed with it. Once someone decides to stop listening to Metal, that's not my problem and it's rather cool if he decides to sell his records for ridiculous prices as well of corpse :wink:And I'm definitely more tired of retarded elitists than of Metal music!
DCLXVI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people grow out of it and some people grow into it...it's that simple. I'm 33 and I still live by the metal of death. Fuck everyone who grew out of it and fuck everyone who gave up on it. Pretenders to the throne shall be crushed beneath my boots!!!
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I could grow out of metal on one or two conditions...

1. Some portal opened to a world without electricity, some Medieval Middle Earth Lord of the Fucking Rings type place, then fuck it... metal will be a fond memory as one would truly live by the sword. Laughing

2. Satan himself dropped by for a beer bringing something on vinyl beyond metal, harsh as fuck but not heard of yet, that could persuade one to shift interests maybe. Laughing

Looks like metal will not be going anywhere though by all realistic reasoning. Razz

I don't get the 'growing' out of thing 100%.
I totally get interest shifts in bands back and forth though, seems pretty natural to want something new and different for awhile. Totally forsaking old interests seems strange to me.
benhogg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when people pigeonhole their tastes that is usually the beginning of the end. "I only listen to black metal" or "I only like grind". You ain't gonna be in it for the haul. I listen to all forms of legitimate metal, but really enjoy the top 10% from each genre. And i seem to rotate every 6 months or so between styles. It helps keep shit fresh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: