P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Oaken Throne?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
20 Buck Spin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oakenthrone puts a lot of effort into making a printed magazine and I respect that. Whether you like it or not (there's stuff in it I don't care for naturally), it sure beats the hell out of any asshole blathering away on a website. They're making something tangible at least. If you're going to push your opinion on the world and you want people to care at all, do it in print and make a real zine. Commit to creating something. There are good writers on the web, but ultimately it still sucks and I have little interest in reading it. It's like running a digital only record label, it's highly disposable and lifeless and ultimately a joke.
HHJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have issue 1 and 5

its style isnt my style,but i have to admit he put alot more effort into it than most zines these days..i wasnt really interested in much of the bands in 5 other than the necromorbus int but thats just me(but i quite enjoyed reading the 1st issue and its weird size),and it sweats devotion,not just another typical cut and paste fanzine,so hails to him
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Kill Monument wrote:
The_Elite wrote:
As soon as they came up with the 'we removed the inverted cross from our logo because... blah blah blah' and started filling it with (in my opinion) bands of absolutely no worth to any self respecting metal fan like Wold, Harvey Milk, L'Acephale I automatically think trend followers.

Necromorbus interview was interesting though.

Actually, thanks to OT I checked out Harvey Milk and The Pleaser is a whopper of an album. Then again I have very little self respect.

I don't respect myself that much either. Harvey milk are fucking devastating live.
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cool thing about zines is you don't have to fucking buy them.
One one hand we have bands that pose at 2 am with upside down crosses at the local church while thier cousin keeps an eye out out for the cops. In the interviews they talk about mighty legions usurping forth to behead the christ child and sacrifice the nuncunt whore to the bestial barb tipped penis demons.
That's cool and just as legitimate as Oaken Throne and it's babble.
As far as trendy (this will never happen) how would people here that love the word hipster, cooldaddy, or whatever the fuck label you can come up with react if black witchery were on the cover of decibel???
No more Black Witcherey........
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:
As far as trendy (this will never happen) how would people here that love the word hipster, cooldaddy, or whatever the fuck label you can come up with react if black witchery were on the cover of decibel?

It would not change my opinion of them.

If BEHERIT or DEMILICH made it to the cover of Decibel, I would cheer for them.

The instant they changed their music to pander to morons, I would stop cheering.

A lot of "underground" bands are disguised pop.

I don't respect anyone for putting out a printed zine over a webzine. I respect those who communicate something important to the fans, like good journalistic coverage, regardless of the form. And as the web reaches 1,000 times the people a printed zine will at best, it's often a better medium.

That's not to say I don't like printed zines... some of them are quite good.

I respect Oaken Throne for trying to bring metal journalism to a responsible level, and to show the world that metalheads are not all dumb and anti-intellectual. However, I think their reading of "intellectual" is very surface -- read liberal -- and as a result strays away from the topics they should really cover.

That's been the problem with most "intellektual" metal zines in the past: not able to penetrate the veil of perception, and staying mired in the same symbolic wasteland that the mainstream media occupies.
avrlabel

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zine is ok especially design and layout.
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the last 3 issues a while ago, and I pretty much like them even though there's naturally stuff I disagree with. A good read for sure.

OT is well-written and thought-through and THAT is what I appreciate. I hardly have time for badly written rags although they serve their purpose every now and then - I happen to occasionally "enjoy" shitty zines too.

Couldn't give a rat's ass if there are some "not acceptable" bands featured.

Then again the "intellectual" approach doesn't quite fit in with comments made by bands like THRONEUM but what the hell. And I must say the ADORIOR interview in particular was hilarious!!

Of course there can be only one ideal zine and that is ISTEN. Morbid Tales side of things too. That stuff is what I enjoy the most. OT falls in the better half, and I'm definitely interested in what they come up in the future.

Aeonblade wrote:
Hyper distorted go nowhere songs with feedback sections. It's like everything wrong with doom.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the editor on another forum making light of my (maybe a little too) harsh comment about this 'zine. He seemed to be simultaneously annoyed and complimented by what I said about it being a cross between Descent and Terrorizer. As it turns out, he writes for Terrorizer and Descent (obviously) was an influence on his mag.

My thing is this: it's just too clean for a filthy topic like Death/Black Metal and it seems to lack opinion, as all 'zines that only print reviews of what they like do. I can understand not wanting to give crap and garbage any exposure, but it makes for a boring read that lacks heart. When I see that, I can't help but to think the editor is just:

A.) A scene queen looking to make/keep friends

B.) Not honest

C.) Lacks standards

D.) Just has poor taste

E.) Wants to keep promos flowing in

F.) All of the above (often the case)

Also, I'd take Metalion's unpretentious "FUCK, THIS DISC MAKES ME WANT TO KILL! BUY IT! ARRRGGGGHHH" reviews any day over these fucking nerdy and poetic bullshit ones I see now by these johnny-come-lately-whoever-they-ares. Especially for totally crappy releases. I have to laugh when I see somebody writing about garbage like it's William Blake. These people make a novel out of a review for a record I discard after five minutes of listening to.
svoegtlin

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:

Also, I'd take Metalion's unpretentious "FUCK, THIS DISC MAKES ME WANT TO KILL! BUY IT! ARRRGGGGHHH" reviews any day over these fucking nerdy and poetic bullshit ones I see now by these johnny-come-lately-whoever-they-ares. Especially for totally crappy releases. I have to laugh when I see somebody writing about garbage like it's William Blake. These people make a novel out of a review for a record I discard after five minutes of listening to.

The goal, I think, is to find an acceptable medium between the two. Silly gushing is just as warranted as genuine exploration.

I don't understand why readers are so easily offended by three syllables and in the same instance uphold other excessive and heady forms of art whether it be visual or aural. Music should be written about just as deliberately as it was created. Granted, if you're writing some pomo bullshit about something as base as Dead Reptile Shrine or something, it's time to find another hobby.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artistic criticism can definitely be seen as an art in and of itself, but it is just as much a learned craft as any other type of art. People should spend the necessary time and energy to learn how to write clearly and honestly before they publish a zine just as a band should learn how to write a song before releasing an ultra limited numbered in blood LP full of filler.
Reed

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said.

I happen to love Oaken Throne zine. I'm still new to it, as I've been getting copies of each issue slowly over the past few months.

Despite the constant criticism over how 'hip' the zine may be and whether or not it's proper for it's chosen genre is silly.

The coolest thing about a fanzine is whether you're a shithead, fanboy, elitist, or scholar, you have decided that you need to publish your excitement for your topic. Some people choose to write with incredible diction and others want to just say, "FUCK YES, THIS ALBUM RULES!!" But in the end, I'm just stoked that there are other fans out there that are as hyped on metal as I am; that they chose to put hardwork and money into entertaining other people of their genre.

I STILL NEED ISSUE #! AND #2 OF THIS ZINE!!! Laughing
HHJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always kind of felt weird about reading interviews with bands in article form.I know its a creative medium for the writer,but sometimes,it makes a mountain out of a molehill,and hard to take seriously.Especially if the band is in the demo stages.Im curious if other people feel that way and prefer to read interviews in the usual question/answer form,or if they prefer the article kind.
Caina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHJ wrote:
I always kind of felt weird about reading interviews with bands in article form.I know its a creative medium for the writer,but sometimes,it makes a mountain out of a molehill,and hard to take seriously.Especially if the band is in the demo stages.Im curious if other people feel that way and prefer to read interviews in the usual question/answer form,or if they prefer the article kind.

Yeah, I prefer to read Q/A style interviews, particularly when I've actually done the interview in Q/A style (like my OT interview) and they turn it into an article. It feels a little stilted and unnatural. It can work with phone interviews though - my Metal Hammer interview was done over the phone and transcribed into an article, and works much better.

www.myspace.com/cainaband
http://www.last.fm/user/WilburWhateley

Good traders/sellers: Yosuke, Grief, s.charlach x2, Blekt , headnhalf x2, destrucSEAN, Sadovahr x3, GROUND ZERO Entertainment, Ykh
Reed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the article style. Definitely more interesting than the back and forth Q & A.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just reread my copy of #5 the other day looking for Portal interviews. I will admit this zine has grown on me a bit, but I still need more humor and criticism to really get into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: