P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Oaken Throne?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilhelm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
20 Buck Spin wrote:
Overall my favorite zines are old school underground. Slayer being the obvious benchmark. But I think there is room for more "intellectual" reading in the underground too (what might be called the spawn of Descent) and Oakenthrone ably fills that gap. The new issue had good interviews with Necrovation, Nordvargr and Necros Christos. They mix in some other relevant stuff too which I don't see as a problem. For me it's not a matter of one or the other. I get them all and read what I like from each one.

The only problem is that typically when a zine does real intellectual digging into music they end up being critical, and I find that Oaken Throne just seems to praise everything. When zines do that, i don't feel like I can trust their reviews...

They praise "everything" because they merely review what they think is best while giving no press to music they dislike. Sure, it’s all subjective. But, I really like the idea that they care enough about what they populate their publication with. They have standards. What's wrong with that?

Go brush your doll's hair.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilhelm wrote:
GoldenBull wrote:
20 Buck Spin wrote:
Overall my favorite zines are old school underground. Slayer being the obvious benchmark. But I think there is room for more "intellectual" reading in the underground too (what might be called the spawn of Descent) and Oakenthrone ably fills that gap. The new issue had good interviews with Necrovation, Nordvargr and Necros Christos. They mix in some other relevant stuff too which I don't see as a problem. For me it's not a matter of one or the other. I get them all and read what I like from each one.

The only problem is that typically when a zine does real intellectual digging into music they end up being critical, and I find that Oaken Throne just seems to praise everything. When zines do that, i don't feel like I can trust their reviews...

They praise "everything" because they merely review what they think is best while giving no press to music they dislike. Sure, it’s all subjective. But, I really like the idea that they care enough about what they populate their publication with. They have standards. What's wrong with that?

Nothing is wrong with standards. I wish Oaken Throne had standards in writing.
Wilhelm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
Wilhelm wrote:
GoldenBull wrote:
20 Buck Spin wrote:

Nothing is wrong with standards. I wish Oaken Throne had standards in writing.

I have no problems with their writing style. It’s polished and professional in a staid journalistic sense, and we’re not used to that since most zines are written by people who have little to no journalistic experience in the first place.

I mean I'm not saying that only journalists should write zines. My favorite metal rags are hardly works of sound writing. However, as someone who’s majored in Journalism, I speak from the perspective of a journalist: Oaken Throne aspires to journalistic integrity. They’re not merely “writers”, they’re journalists intending to dig deep to their subject’s epicenter. This is standard protocol for investigative journalism.

So I guess I’m meaning to say that I can more easily appreciate the end result of Oaken Throne than one who approaches it from a different background.

svoegtlin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, Annick's Morbid Tales blows OT out of the water. Her interviews are no less probing and the content is a great mixture of lesser to unknowns and well known bands.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, as it turns out we are approaching it from similar backgrounds. I majored in English and was an editor of my university paper for a year. I just thing it is a boring and uninteresting zine, and I don't like the reviews. Perhaps it is just a matter of taste. You make good points, but really I am just trying to say that I didn't like the zine and that's that.
Wilhelm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
Actually, as it turns out we are approaching it from similar backgrounds. I majored in English and was an editor of my university paper for a year. I just thing it is a boring and uninteresting zine, and I don't like the reviews. Perhaps it is just a matter of taste. You make good points, but really I am just trying to say that I didn't like the zine and that's that.

That makes sense, too. It is a matter of taste, even one that not all Journalists or English majors would agree on.

GoldenBull

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilhelm wrote:
GoldenBull wrote:

That makes sense, too. It is a matter of taste, even one that not all Journalists or English majors would agree on.

Even English majors who misspell shit in every post, haha! Sorry bout that.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as they came up with the 'we removed the inverted cross from our logo because... blah blah blah' and started filling it with (in my opinion) bands of absolutely no worth to any self respecting metal fan like Wold, Harvey Milk, L'Acephale I automatically think trend followers.

Necromorbus interview was interesting though.
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:
As soon as they came up with the 'we removed the inverted cross from our logo because... blah blah blah' and started filling it with (in my opinion) bands of absolutely no worth to any self respecting metal fan like Wold, Harvey Milk, L'Acephale I automatically think trend followers.

L'Acephale is trendy? Examples why please...
I don't think many metal fans lined up at the Virgin Megastore at midnight
to get the new Wold.
Self repecting metal fan?
Unrespecting metal fans that like these bands keep the "true" scene alive. If they didn't exist, there would be 0 bands to put down.
Then the scene would be in a airtight jar. To continuing keeping things "true" the so-called KVLT bands would have to be
picked on as well. The scene would become so "KVLT" that there would
remain one last band that has a cassette only release limited to 5 copies.
Then that band would be deemed "not true" and the scene would collapse.
Then a scene with no bands but a lot of followers would only be "real"!!
It's all relative, L'Acephale might be trendy in your opinion, but if Necromorbus got a deal with moribund they would be considered sell outs.
I have every issue of Oaken Throne. I hate every thing about it. I just like the way the cover feels between my fingers.
svoegtlin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilarousness...
Tobias

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is funny. oaken throne is a very well designed magazine. The latest issue doesn't have any thing I'm interested in (other than the villains review quoted on this site) but it is ridiculous to call someone a hipster or outsider simply because they can express theirselves intelligently. Anybody who dedicates enough time in their lives to pay attention to what the people on this message board think obviously are more interested in real metal than the average outsider or hipster.
Kill Monument

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:

Actually, thanks to OT I checked out Harvey Milk and The Pleaser is a whopper of an album. Then again I have very little self respect.

www.facebook.com/malthusianDM
Hammer Smashed Jazz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:

Where the fuck do you people hang out that you come in contact with hipsters so much?Seems you know a lot about what those "trend followers" are up to.
duff138

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svoegtlin wrote:
Honestly, Annick's Morbid Tales blows OT out of the water. Her interviews are no less probing and the content is a great mixture of lesser to unknowns and well known bands.

Good to know. I just ordered all 6 issues so I'd have something to read on vacation at the end of the month.
HHJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:
I have a rule which states:

Boycott any Metal publication/zine that uses the term "Breath taking" in reviews.

thats good criteria
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: