P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Colombian black metal trivia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Humus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a single from a band called Gloster Gladiattor. How do they fit in with all the other Columbian bands?
rthdx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig Esbbat, but they're active since second half of 90ies, so most likely belong to other generation than bands being discussed so far.
youtube
discogs
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
I used to have a single from a band called Gloster Gladiattor. How do they fit in with all the other Columbian bands?

Great 7". You should've kept it!

Web: https://shop.nwnprod.com/collections/new-arrivals

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing thread so far, but it's written as Colombia.
Tezcat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:

Glöster Gladiattor (named after the famous WWI aircraft) was also a part of the 12st generation of bands from Medellin. This is a rather obscure, punky/thrashy band from the mid 80s but with a certain "history" behind them. They took part in the infamous "Battle of the Bands" (a gig that took place at the local Macarena Bullring in March, 1985) and also shared the stage with Danger, Profanacion, Nekromantie and others.

As a matter of fact, I have managed to trck down some surviving members for the thing I am writing right now so a couple of stories will hopefully be posted here Smile
Underground Metal Webzine
Interviews, Reviews, Articles and Chronicles
Tezcat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

• On March 23rd, 1985, Parabellum, Mierda and other bands were booked to play at the Macarena Bullring in what has been known as "The Battle of the Bands". While half the bands played ska, hard rock and/or reggae (one of them was the now legendary Kraken, a local heavy metal group), the other four bands were part of what was already known as "Ultra Metal": Danger, Glöster Gladiattor, Mierda and Parabellum.

• The first band, Spol, only played one song. The frontman had a hard time on stage because people started throwing rocks at them.

• Glôstter Gladiattor was the second band, and then Danger folowed. Everything was fine until...

• Mierda went on stage. Oswaldo, their guitar and lead vocals, did the unfamous "blood bucket challenge" bathing himself on stage with a bucket full of cow blood he had previously colelcted at the slaughterhouse near his home. Screaming and yelling on the mic "Crucify me!" and "Satan is among us today!" made the crowd go nuts.

• The next one was Excalibur, a hard rock band that also received a rain of rocks coming from the crowd. Too bad for them. Next was Parabellum.

• Parabellum was next. and there is a video clip. Mind you, this is 1985. It is a miracle that this piece of video actually exists! (action starts after 0:2Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRBuQ9ygWGc

Somebody must have the whole show on tape but this must be even more difficult to find than the Mayhem show at Jessheim.

• The next band, Lasser, was literally fighting for their lives... and so was the crowd. Not only there were rocks flying all over the place but the whole bullring turned into a battlefield. The concert came to an end, Kraken did not play that day and the whole city knew about the existence of Parabellum.

In case you are interested to read more about it, there is a local chronicle here: I'd translate it but it is quite long so please, Google translator may be useful

https://www.universocentro.com/NUMERO83/Labatalladelasbandas.aspx

So, that was it, the "official birth" of Ultra Metal Smile
Humus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Humus wrote:

Great 7". You should've kept it!

Can’t make an omelet without breaking eggs. Traded or sold it to get other records, many years ago.
Astaroth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tezcat wrote:
Humus wrote:

Glöster Gladiattor (named after the famous WWI aircraft) was also a part of the 12st generation of bands from Medellin. This is a rather obscure, punky/thrashy band from the mid 80s but with a certain "history" behind them. They took part in the infamous "Battle of the Bands" (a gig that took place at the local Macarena Bullring in March, 1985) and also shared the stage with Danger, Profanacion, Nekromantie and others.

As a matter of fact, I have managed to trck down some surviving members for the thing I am writing right now so a couple of stories will hopefully be posted here Smile

https://deathrasharchive.blogspot.com/2017/07/gloster-gladiattor-gloster-gladiattor.html

Got some pics here - great 7"
Astaroth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Bull Metal stories from the FMP forum days. There was a guy from Colombia posting that Bull Metal was a satanic power lifting boy lover and was killed as a result.

That Nebiros LP rules so much. From memory the member that turned Christian threw the copies he had off a bridge.

Do you have any trivia on Nemesis?
Astaroth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
Yeah, I also became familiar with Parabellum through The Corroseum. Probably back in '05 or so.

The Corroseum ruled and Rick Vasp's Geocities site: http://www.oocities.org/vasp_1999/
Zombie Dance

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gigs from these days looked out of control and held in crazy open spaces, also plenty of mustaches out there which is always good.

Quote:

Love colombian metal madness but GG was pure crap as far as I remember!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Thanks for the pics! I love this thread, hope it keeps delivering.
SEMENandBLOOD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread, I almost don't know this scene; I had Reeincarnacion 1st LP but since I really did not like it, I sold it long years ago for a normal price (funny to see it at a crazy price now).
More recently, my searches led me to Nebiros I think, I'll check them again and I'm interested by Parabellum music as well.
Tezcat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astaroth wrote:
I remember the Bull Metal stories from the FMP forum days. There was a guy from Colombia posting that Bull Metal was a satanic power lifting boy lover and was killed as a result.

Nah, the power lifting maniac was --and still is-- Barzuth, who was the frontman in Typhon. He is living in the US of A and still does power lifting on a professional level.

According to police reports, Bull Metal took cyanide in what appears to be a ritual suicide. Strange, because he had seriously tried to kill himself before --at least twice-- by slicing his wrists and we always thought he would bleed to death one day.

Astaroth wrote:
That Nebiros LP rules so much. From memory the member that turned Christian threw the copies he had off a bridge.

Interesting! Where did you see / hear that? I will ask a couple of friends though but the general consensus among the surviving members of the Goat Gang is that the copies were burned.

Astaroth wrote:
Do you have any trivia on Nemesis?

Both Nemesis and Reencarnacion's 7" EPs were recorded the same day at the same recording studio, August 8th, 1988. According to some old interviews, there were 700 copies pressed and by 1990 they still had a lot of them, so it took them some years to sell them.

There were no places for a metal band to perform, especially with both the local authorities and the Medellin Cartel imposing a curtfew, so Lucho (lead vocals in Nemesis) talked to his parents and they agreed to use their backyard for some gigs. Both the house and the patio were so huge they even had a henhouse in there.

Some of the bands playing on that place were Masacre, Reencarnacion, Pirokinesis, Nemesis and Ekhymosis (with now popstar Juanes on guitars and vocals). Only three gigs took place in the backyard, because It seems that sometime during the third gig somebody had accidentaly killed a hen. Lucho's mom went angry and kicked everybody out of the house. And that was the end of the gigs at Lucho's patio.

But these gigs were so popular that there were people who actually came from other cities just to see these bands playing. One of these common visitors was Jason "Dagon" from Inquisition.

There was a close friendship between Nemesis, Reencarnacion and Jason. Actually, Jason's previous band was called Guillotina and it was Victor from Reencarnacion the first person that booked a gig for Jason here in Medellin. Jason returned the favor by taking Reencarnacion to play with his band in Cali. Later on, Jason took Nemesis --and Masacre-- to play some gigs together in 1991.

Everytime Inquisition plays in Medellin Jason gives a shoutout to Victor and Reencarnacion as "the first person who actually believed in me". And, of course, victor is among the special guest list for the show. Thirty years and there is still a strong bond between them. Metal DOES unite people.
Down There....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pirokinesis stuff is some of the best BM to.come out of SA. someone needs to reissue that.

Speaking of Nebiros l.p.... the original seems impossible to track down for a fair price so how is the reissue? Anyone own it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: