P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Colombian black metal trivia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Down There....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
Very interesting. I first heard about those Colombian records through Dan Edman (The corrosseum) in the early '00s and nobody around here knew about it or cared about it when I let them hear those recordings. Actually, we're 2019 now and most people still don't care about them.

Most people cannot handle this music, it's not for the weak nor for those that need riffs and hooks.
Tollwut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tezcat wrote:
The authorities did the whole legal procedure that very same night and he was quickly buried at the local town cemetery. Due to the conditions under which his body was found -- autopsy reports stated that the man had been dead for days/weeks-- he was quickly put into a nomen nascio tomb located at the most desolate part of cemetery. And this is not exaggeration. I was there in March 2018 and it was a grim, gloomy sight. His tomb remains there and no one has reclaimed his body. Pictures available if you want.

Thanks for all that info, now I have it indeed! Wink

What's the point of those "nomen nascio" tombs though? I'm unfamiliar with this here in Europe.
Mauricio Montoya had family, so why wasn't there a regular burial / grave arranged? I'm not implying that you know all private family details though... Very Happy

And yes, actually pictures of that grave site would be interesting. Not sure if you want to share them in public though.
Frozen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tollwut wrote:
Tezcat wrote:
The authorities did the whole legal procedure that very same night and he was quickly buried at the local town cemetery. Due to the conditions under which his body was found -- autopsy reports stated that the man had been dead for days/weeks-- he was quickly put into a nomen nascio tomb located at the most desolate part of cemetery. And this is not exaggeration. I was there in March 2018 and it was a grim, gloomy sight. His tomb remains there and no one has reclaimed his body. Pictures available if you want.

Thanks for all that info, now I have it indeed! Wink

What's the point of those "nomen nascio" tombs though? I'm unfamiliar with this here in Europe.
Mauricio Montoya had family, so why wasn't there a regular burial / grave arranged? I'm not implying that you know all private family details though... Very Happy

And yes, actually pictures of that grave site would be interesting. Not sure if you want to share them in public though.

Amazing insights, Tezcat!

It would be awesome if you could share some of the your photographs in the thread. It is easy and free to do it with https://postimages.org/. You simply upload the picture to the site which will provide you with a link you can post in the thread.

I want to express my gratitude to everyone who has contributed so far. The thread has turned out beyond all expectations. Thank you!
Zombie Dance

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
Very interesting. I first heard about those Colombian records through Dan Edman (The corrosseum) in the early '00s and nobody around here knew about it or cared about it when I let them hear those recordings. Actually, we're 2019 now and most people still don't care about them.

Yet the prices for a Parabellum original lp have become insane Confused
Tezcat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie Dance wrote:
Humus wrote:

Yet the prices for a Parabellum original lp have become insane Confused

As you probably know, there were two official pressings of the "Sacrilegio" MLP; the first one sold rather quickly back in the day while the second pressing took them YEARS to sell. And the funny thing is that it took them several YEARS to sell the 500 coies of the 2nd pressing. Same thing with Reencarnacion; copies of their first LP were still available in 1993 at a very low price. Why?

Humus wrote:

Hey! Same thing happened here! You see, people here in Colombia --especially younger generations of metalheads during the mid/late 90s-- did not care much about these bands either because those who came into the local scene from 1995-2000 did not care about it either; they thought it was "too noisy", "outdated" or "badly recorded / produced" or "not polished". You could walk into the usual metal record stores in Medellin and buy "Sacrilegio" or Blasfemia's "Guerra Total" for US$ 2. And I am not joking. And since by the turn of the century none of these bands were still active and their former members were more into hardcore or grindcore, many of these recording were gathering dust in shelves and wooden boxes.

It was until 2004 when a Colombian guy living in Sweden tracked down the surviving Parabellum members (because John Jairo, the "other" guitar player, had been killed in 1998), compiled their recordings and release them as a digipak in 2005 that a new generation became interested in these bands. There were no written sources of their stories and two local journalists decided to ask the question: "Ultra Metal: where are they now?". And then all these rehearsals were ripped from old cassetes zealously kept/ protected / hidden by the few that still had them. And then the Blasfemia, Nekromantie and the Rodrigo D No Futuro sampler were reissued on CD format. And now the vinyl original pressings are being sold for quite a lot of money.
Underground Metal Webzine
Interviews, Reviews, Articles and Chronicles
Down There....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a few photos of some of the records talked about in the thread. Will post some others I have after work. There is still much to find, but also much that is impossible to track down in "original" form, like old rehersals and demos.

The Sacrilegio mlp is the second version, first version had band photos on the back. The Blasfemia was the most difficult to track down. Took many years. Also the inserts for both Parabellum lps are probably not originals, the other two inserts though, are. Surprisingly good condition on all these records. Usually these are fucked up beyond all belief Smile

Typical SA 80s floppy records.

Tezcat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let's see... This is mostly related to Nebiros:

• Nebiros was disbanded around 1992, when Giovanny "Sacrilegus" was shot in his neighborhood.by a local drug pusher. The band reformed in late 1993 witha nee drummer, Dominus Saevitum.

• Martin "Yaga" Jaramillo, a.k.a. "Necrolust", was killed on October 4th, 1996, again in strange circumstances. One of the most prominent characters in the local black metal scene, founding member of Satanachia and "instigator" of Nebiros' reformation in 1993, Martin "Yaga" was with some fellow black metallers sitting in a bench behind some bushes at a local park happily celebrating the birthday of Dominus Saevitum, Nebiros drummer, when two unidentified guys passed by in a motorcycle and threw a home-made explosive. The device fell on Martin's head and blew his brains out... literally. He was the only fatal victim, the others were wounded. As a result of the explosion, Dominus Saevitum lost the hearing of one of his ears.

• "Guerreros de Lucifer", the debut album of Nebiros, was co-founded by basically every member of the so-called "Parche de las Cabras" (The Goat Gang, the most notorius group of black metallers in Medellin who used to gather at the stairs of the city's Chamber of Commerce. Every member of the group contributed with a fee to fund the recording and pressing of the album.

• According to the rumor, Nebiros' former frontman Leonardo, a.k.a. "Feretrum" converted to Christianity weeks after the album was released and he burned all the copies he had. His current whereabouts are unknown but it is said that he is an Evangelical Christian preacher. Nebiros disbanded and was reformed once again in 2006 with Dominus Saevitum on drums and Bale (from Satanachia and Erzebet) as new guitar / frontman.

• Speaking of Nebiros long-running frontman and main composer, he legally changed his birth name to "Bael" several years ago.

• Erzebet's demo "Por Siempre Necrolust" is dedicated to Martin "Yaga" / "Necrolust". He is the one on the demo cover.

• On February 22nd, 1998, John Jairo Martinez, guitar player for Parabellum, Blasfemia and the local hardcore band Censura, was killed on the street, near his house. He was lethally stabbed and died almost immediatly.
ravage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tezcat wrote:

• On September 20th, 1988, while Masacre and the other bands were playing, a girl called Natasha was shot to death right at the door of the venue. Why? Because two guys on a motorcycle almost rolled over her, she yelled at them "You bastards!" and the guys stopped the motorcycle, got their six-guns and basically killed her right on the spot... and left. (And no, she was not the inspiration for 'Natassja in Eternal Sleep) Smile

There's a different version of this story recounted by Alex Oquendo from Masacre in Jason Netherton's death metal book Extremity Retained: Notes from the Death Metal Underground. In the book, Alex writes that this girl was working the door at the gig and some hitmen wanted to be let in without paying, she didn't let them in, the hitmen walked away but searched her out and killed her later that night.

Tezcat wrote:

You guys may love "Narcos" but you should see this other series called "Escobar, El Patrón del Mal" (somehting like, "Escobar, the Boss of Evil"), filmed in Colombia, by Colombians, back in 2012. It's very well done, historically accurate and it is on Netflix, in case you are interested.

I'm currently watching this, nearing the end. It's pretty interesting but kinda slow and melodramatic at times. But the slow pace makes the events more impactful and stick to my mind better. Escobar's portrayal seems less sympathetic and less glamorized in this show than in Narcos. Makes sense though, given that the relatives of Pablo's victims were involved with the making of El Patron del Mal. As an aside, I remember reading comments by Pablo's son where he said both shows are crap but El Patron del Mal is worse cause it depicts Colombian cops in way too positive light.
Tezcat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravage wrote:
Tezcat wrote:

• On September 20th, 1988, while Masacre and the other bands were playing, a girl called Natasha was shot to death right at the door of the venue. Why? Because two guys on a motorcycle almost rolled over her, she yelled at them "You bastards!" and the guys stopped the motorcycle, got their six-guns and basically killed her right on the spot... and left. (And no, she was not the inspiration for 'Natassja in Eternal Sleep) Smile

There's a different version of this story recounted by Alex Oquendo from Masacre in Jason Netherton's death metal book Extremity Retained: Notes from the Death Metal Underground. In the book, Alex writes that this girl was working the door at the gig and some hitmen wanted to be let in without paying, she didn't let them in, the hitmen walked away but searched her out and killed her later that night.

Interesting, gotta ask Okendo again but I remember he did told me about Natasha yelling "you bastards" at them, so perhaps it is a combination of both; guys wanted to be let in without paying, girl yells at them and then the hitmen walked away and searched her out. Another one present at the incident was Reencarnacion's Piolin who was running for cover when he head the shooting so he was right outside the venue. On a side note, gotta get that book a.s.a.p.!

ravage wrote:
Tezcat wrote:

You guys may love "Narcos" but you should see this other series called "Escobar, El Patrón del Mal" (somehting like, "Escobar, the Boss of Evil"), filmed in Colombia, by Colombians, back in 2012. It's very well done, historically accurate and it is on Netflix, in case you are interested.

I'm currently watching this, nearing the end. It's pretty interesting but kinda slow and melodramatic at times. But the slow pace makes the events more impactful and stick to my mind better. Escobar's portrayal seems less sympathetic and less glamorized in this show than in Narcos. Makes sense though, given that the relatives of Pablo's victims were involved with the making of El Patron del Mal. As an aside, I remember reading comments by Pablo's son where he said both shows are crap but El Patron del Mal is worse cause it depicts Colombian cops in way too positive light.

Glad you liked the series! And yes, several key characters were ommitted from the TV series either because they were still alive and "did not give permission" to be portrayed (including former partners in crime such as Matta Ballesteros from Honduras) or because there sere so many of them athat the writers decided to exercise their "creative license" and delete them from the story.

And yes, cops were depicted almost as martyrs. Keep in mind that the script is based on a book written by a journalist who later was Major of Medellin between 2008 and 2011.

For an insider's perspective, both Escobar's brother Roberto and Escobar's chief hitman John Jairo Velasquez --who has also criticiezed the series because it depcts his boss as having panic attacks when his associes were shot right beside him-- have written books on the subject.
anthares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the trivia! Very interesting!
Werewolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthares wrote:
Thanx for the trivia! Very interesting!
+1

Very interesting thread!

Regressive Muerta Metal: https://sadistikus.bandcamp.com/album/desekrehearsal-march-21-2015
SongAndDance

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread, thank you for all the information Tezcat!
rthdx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting read indeed. Proves that real extreme underground is mostly possible only in extreme living conditions. Knowing that you may be shot, beheaded and/or dismemebered with machete any time is a significant part of attitude. More stories are hellcome, of corpse.
youtube
discogs
peterott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two different Blasfemia pressings:

peterott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article, which shows the two different backsides of the Parabellum - Sacrilegio prsssings

https://metaltrue666.wordpress.com/2011/05/13/parabellum-sacrilegio/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: