P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Colombian black metal trivia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tezcat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
You can tell the Metal Inquisition guy is talking out of his ass when he says that the Medellín Cartel funded the leftist guerrillas.

I understand the Metal Inquisition guy lived in Colombia for quite some time. No, the guerrilla was not funded by the cartel, not even during the drug-war here in Medellin. He is probably talking about the M-19 guerrilla with the Medellin Cartel, a claim that is highly disputed and not proven so far...

BUT! (... and this is a big BUT ha ha) the last gig played by Parabellum (along with Mierda in December, 1985) was co-funded by a local youth group heavily associated with the local JUCO chapter (JUCO stands for "Juventudes Comunistas", the Colombian Communist Youth). Keep in mind that rock, hard rock and heavy metal in general, and extreme metal bands in particular were seen by the far-right as "an infiltration of communism corrupting our youth with drugs" AND by the far-left as "an infiltration of capitalist decadent culture corrupting and dumbing our youth with drugs". Metal bands and metalheads were actually persecuted by the police and the guerrilla urban militia for a long time, so the financial aid from the JUCO was more than welcomed back then.

During the late 80s and early 90s some people from the metal and hardcore punk local scenes aligned themselves with political youth movements when they went to college... and some of them got killed by paramilitary troops of the far-right. Also, there was some kind of witch-hunt from the paramilitary troops on certain rural areas of the country --especially those near Medellin-- against anyone dressing in black (men and women) or males with long hair: in the best scenario they trimmed your hair; in the worst scenario, they chopped your head off. And I am not exaggerating. The 90s were not an wasy time for us over here.
Underground Metal Webzine
Interviews, Reviews, Articles and Chronicles
Tezcat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naekrospavvn wrote:
Somehow I always had a feeling that Parabellum 1st EP had influence on later (Dead era) Mayhem sound.

Perhaps Parabellum and Reencarnacion. After all, the last one is mentioned / seen more on norwegian photos / old Mayhem interviews.
kktz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Herpes and La Bruja are still active, nice.
Tezcat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kktz wrote:

Indeed! HERPES just released a new CD a re-recording of some old material plus new songs. Besides this band, La Bruja has this other band called ORGANISMOS. Quite weird if you ask me. According to him, there is a basi musical difference between both (keepin mind he is a professionally trained musician, from academia and all) the songs of one of those two bands is made with chromatic scales. Can't figure out which one, my ear is not that well trained.

ORGANISMOS live at Rock al Parque, 2017. La Bruja with gray hair on guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlpiev6Kd1s

Yes, they played at the Never Surrender Festival in Berlin, but anyways...
REENCARNACION live at Rock al Parque 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNIjzMtLlHw (from 2:40)

Last edited by Tezcat on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Zombie Dance

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my interview with him, Ramon Restrepo told me he partly found Blasfemia guitar sound while experimenting with microphones stuffed into piñatas.
kktz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tezcat wrote:
kktz wrote:

Indeed! HERPES just released a new CD a re-recording of some old material plus new songs. Besides this band, La Bruja has this other band called ORGANISMOS. Quite weird if you ask me. According to him, there is a basi musical difference between both (keepin mind he is a professionally trained musician, from academia and all) the songs of one of those two bands is made with chromatic scales. Can't figure out which one, my ear is not that well trained.

I checked Organismos on YT, kinda psychedelic and technical yet raw and chaotic, weird indeed. Herpes "Medellin" EP is still respected among old school noisecore crew, at least here in former Yugoslavia.
Tezcat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie Dance wrote:
In my interview with him, Ramon Restrepo told me he partly found Blasfemia guitar sound while experimenting with microphones stuffed into piñatas.

True! Also, Tonyo from Masacre / Agressor achieved Masacre's unique guitar tone by experimenting with home-made michrophones and distortion circuits.
cochino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tezcat wrote:
I understand the Metal Inquisition guy lived in Colombia for quite some time. No, the guerrilla was not funded by the cartel, not even during the drug-war here in Medellin. He is probably talking about the M-19 guerrilla with the Medellin Cartel, a claim that is highly disputed and not proven so far...
(...)
Very interesting post. There's been all this narrative that put out to equate Latin American guerrillas with the cartels, when most cartels (both in Central America and Colombia) actually started as anti-guerrilla paramilitary groups, usually trained by the CIA. That's how they got all the connections to pass drugs into the US and all those weapons that are often more sophisticated than those from the national army.
Also, since there was so many right wing dictatorships and goverments all throughout Latin America back in the 80s, most old Metal bands actually came from a leftist point of resistance and anti-establishment, even the most extreme ones, much closer to Punk Rock in attitude. It'd be crazy for a conservative or right wing kid to grow long hair and play Rock music back then, even less so any kind of Metal.
Tollwut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread and VERY interesting input by user Tezcat.

Crazy to read how many people related to the colombian Metal scene were killed under strange circumstances.
Getting dismembered for your vinyl collection...now if only all those nowadays assface Youtube / Instagram Black Metal nerds with their vinyl poserism would meet such dangers...

What were the rumours about Bull Metal's death again?
Suicide or killed by cartel hitmen in the jungle?
Down There....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting thread! Have some of these original records I can post tomorrow but now I am reminded I really need an original Nebiros lp!!
Tezcat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tollwut wrote:
What were the rumours about Bull Metal's death again?
Suicide or killed by cartel hitmen in the jungle?

Mauricio "Bull Metal" Montoya was found dead on Christmas morning, December 25th 2002 at his one-room apartament in the small rural town of El Carmen de Viboral, Antioquia. He was 37 years old. The authorities did the whole legal procedure that very same night and he was quickly buried at the local town cemetery. Due to the conditions under which his body was found -- autopsy reports stated that the man had been dead for days/weeks-- he was quickly put into a nomen nascio tomb located at the most desolate part of cemetery. And this is not exaggeration. I was there in March 2018 and it was a grim, gloomy sight. His tomb remains there and no one has reclaimed his body. Pictures available if you want.

Some say he was killed and that his suicide was just a made-up story to cover the eventual murder. El Carmen de Viboral is located in a region historically dominated by paramilitary groups and their troops are devoted Catholic people. So, a covered murder is not so far-fetched, actually. But if they were trying to get rid of him and make his death into some sort of cautionary tale, they would have never covered their trace... on the contrary, they would have made everything in their power so people would be sure that they had killed him.

The truth is that he commited suicide by taking cyanide. He had moved to that small town in 1998. He had been working as a school English teacher, taking care of some family issues and of his own health problems. He had a heart condition and his health had been deteriorating over the previous five years due to his unhealthy food and sleeping habits --the guy used to eat quite a lot of junk food and drink a lot of Coke. He was 6'4" tall (1.90 m) and weighted over 100 kg. No wonder the was called "the Bull"

He tried to live a low-profile, anonymous life but he was quickly recognised by visiting metalheads. He was still trading with his old contacts abroad and was writing a book on the Colombian / Medellin Metal scene and was promoting / helping local bands. One of them is still active and they included a tribute song on their most recent album. Song is called «Una Vida Inmortal e la Oscuridad» ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtSxGk6uCDQ

After the burial, his family burned all his belongings --people say it was because they did not want them to be sold and/or misused but they were burned probably because of the biological harm they could cause. After all, the guy had been dead for days or weeks and who knows what kind of bacteria his belongings may had. So, every old picture he had, every fanzine he still kept among his stuff were consumed by the flames. The guy was an archivist and he had a huge collection of pictures from the early days of the local Metal scene... (and of course the stuff he traded with Euronymous and others).

Accusations of pedophilia have been circulating ever since he was found dead and his house was raided by the Police several times while he was still living in Medellin, but basically because the authorities were trying to link his little satanic organization with a thread of murdered children that kept appearing all over Colombia between 1992 and 1998.

Ever hear of Garavito? Well, the police never considered the possibility that the 197 children raped and brutally murdered during those years were the work of one single killer and they were blaming the murders on Satan and His legions of followers. A Colombian jornalist actually wrote a book about the usleless efforts made by the authorities and the aimless investigations they conducted trying to infiltrate metal gigs and metal hangouts looking for satanic leaders behind the murders.

So there you have it Smile
mithrandir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about Bull Metal, is all he would ever send were Columbia bands. I would tape trade with this fucker and ask for very specific things, yet he would ignore my letters and just record a bunch of local bands. I understand he wanted to get the word out about the Colombian scene, and I didn't mind some of those tapes he made, but cant help but think it was a bit of a dick move, oh well Laughing
Tezcat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
Tezcat wrote:
(...)
Very interesting post. There's been all this narrative that put out to equate Latin American guerrillas with the cartels, when most cartels (both in Central America and Colombia) actually started as anti-guerrilla paramilitary groups, usually trained by the CIA. That's how they got all the connections to pass drugs into the US and all those weapons that are often more sophisticated than those from the national army.

Yes! Even though Escobar identified himself with the left wing ideology, did some political campaign and social work with empoverished population living in the slums of the city and was part of the Colombian Congress as representative for the "New Liberalism Party" back in 1982-1983 --before he was unmasked as one of the leaders of the Medellin Cartel-- he did not like the guerrilla at all. The rest of the Medellin Cartel had themselves as entreprenuers, often posed as "good citizens" and tried to be away from any political movement.

Plus, when the M-19 kidnapped one of Escobar's close relatives, Pablo Escobar and the Medellin Cartel actually founded and funded a group called "Muerte a Secuestradores" (Death to Kidnappers) and it was basically eye for an eye: if the guerrilla kidnapped a relative of the Medellin Cartel --Escobar's father was kidnapped by the M-19-- the Cartel kidnapped a close relative of the guerilla leaders.

You guys may love "Narcos" but you should see this other series called "Escobar, El Patrón del Mal" (somehting like, "Escobar, the Boss of Evil"), filmed in Colombia, by Colombians, back in 2012. It's very well done, historically accurate and it is on Netflix, in case you are interested.

Up to 1993, the Colombian guerrilla was ill-equiped and poorly trained. It was after the death of Escobar that both the paramilitary troops and the guerrilla armies started to fight over the drug business as a mean to get the money they needed.
Humus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I first heard about those Colombian records through Dan Edman (The corrosseum) in the early '00s and nobody around here knew about it or cared about it when I let them hear those recordings. Actually, we're 2019 now and most people still don't care about them.
cochino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I also became familiar with Parabellum through The Corroseum. Probably back in '05 or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: