P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Norma Evangelium Diaboli
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Norma Evangelium Diaboli
Katharsis - Kruzifixxion
14%
 14%  [ 33 ]
Funeral Mist - Salvation
17%
 17%  [ 40 ]
Watain - Casus Luciferi
7%
 7%  [ 17 ]
Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice.
26%
 26%  [ 61 ]
Ofermod - MystÚrion TÚs Anomias
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
Deathspell Omega - KÚn˘se
5%
 5%  [ 12 ]
Katharsis - VVorldVVithoutEnd
18%
 18%  [ 43 ]
Antaeus - Blood Libels
3%
 3%  [ 9 ]
Deathspell Omega - Fas ľ Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
Watain - Sworn To The Dark
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 230

Frozen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spektrale_Schattenlichter wrote:
Frozen wrote:
Desolatio wrote:
Frozen wrote:
Tireheb wrote:
bartwa wrote:
The only thing from that list that ever impressed me was that Ofermod 7" so my vote goes there.

That 7" is long before any NED era. But it's brilliant nevertheless.

Not long before. All of the people involved with Norma Evangelium Diaboli were already deeply connected in '98.

Give me a break. Watain were FORMED in 1998 by a bunch of 16 year olds. Malign were still bragging about drinking a lot in fanzines. Etc.

I think it pretty much started with Shadow Records, and then EAL stepped in. I reckon there was a bit of flirting between the Swedish scene and Antaeus, which in turn was linked to Deathspell Omega.

Exactly. There's a reason why most of the bands connected to Shadow Records ended up on French labels. First Drakker, then End All Life and Norma Evangelium Diaboli.

Watain was indeed formed in '98, but E. and Crippe were active long before that, booking shows and playing in Fucking Funeral.

EDIT: E. also featured Hirilorn in Hellish Massacre #1 released in '99, which is public proof that he had contact with Harsjarl prior to Norma Evangelium Diaboli.

Ok, you win. However, I still doubt answering an interview with a 17 year old soon to be fanzine editor automatically builds on deep connection.

I think you'd be mistaken to compare E. and Hasjarl with your average teenagers.
rthdx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:
I think you'd be mistaken to compare E. and Hasjarl with your average teenagers.

Give me some rest. Sounding like a fanboy is ok (you're the one in terminal phase though). But this already something close to sounding as a full-time blower. Laughing
youtube
discogs
RottingGrandmaCorpse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabid Death's Curse has always smashed Casus. Change my mind.

And I still recall that '07 interview they did with MTV, where they essentially stated they were going to dumb down the material to reach a wider audience. I always assumed this wasnt something in line with NED hence the label shange. Or was it vice versa, a SoM suggestion? Either way I remember fans on forums back then being not happy about this before Sworn was released. Ive always wondered.
Frozen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RottingGrandmaCorpse wrote:

And I still recall that '07 interview they did with MTV, where they essentially stated they were going to dumb down the material to reach a wider audience. I always assumed this wasnt something in line with NED hence the label shange. Or was it vice versa, a SoM suggestion? Either way I remember fans on forums back then being not happy about this before Sworn was released. Ive always wondered.

I don't think Season of Mist had any creative power over Watain, nor the rest of the bands on Norma Evagelium Diaboli, whom they also distributed. E. was fanatically into Bathory at the time, and wanted to present a more "pure" version of the band.

Last edited by Frozen on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Pinhas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casus is a better album in terms of sound and composition. rabid is better when you look for primal aggression and morbidity.
Desolatio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:

I don't think Season of Mist had any creative power over Watain, nor the rest of the bands on Norma Evagelium Diaboli, whom they also distributed. E. was fanatically into Bathory at the time, and wanted a less present more "pure" version of the band.

I've never seen that interview but recall reading that it was poorly edited and made in order to make Watain appear as something they were not. I suppose he wanted a more feral approach in lyrics and sound, given the new MLO oriented direction, Sworn to the Dark sound much more beastly than Casus Luciferi.

edit: actually, comparing the whole discography, Casus Luciferi seems to be the strange one. Rabid Death's Curse was far more aggressive and morbid, much more in line with the third LP.
Thing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:
Desolatio wrote:
Frozen wrote:
Tireheb wrote:
bartwa wrote:
The only thing from that list that ever impressed me was that Ofermod 7" so my vote goes there.

Not long before. All of the people involved with Norma Evangelium Diaboli were already deeply connected in '98.

Give me a break. Watain were FORMED in 1998 by a bunch of 16 year olds. Malign were still bragging about drinking a lot in fanzines. Etc.

I think it pretty much started with Shadow Records, and then EAL stepped in. I reckon there was a bit of flirting between the Swedish scene and Antaeus, which in turn was linked to Deathspell Omega.

Exactly. There's a reason why most of the bands connected to Shadow Records ended up on French labels. First Drakker, then End All Life and Norma Evangelium Diaboli.

Watain was indeed formed in '98, but E. and Crippe were active long before that, booking shows and playing in Fucking Funeral.

EDIT: E. also featured Hirilorn in Hellish Massacre #1 released in '99, which is public proof that he had contact with Harsjarl prior to Norma Evangelium Diaboli.

Ok, you win. However, I still doubt answering an interview with a 17 year old soon to be fanzine editor automatically builds on deep connection.

Well in case you haven't noticed, Frozen is the most revisionist poster on the whole nwn, stating everything as "simple facts" or objective truths.

But on the other hand, I still like that he is a sophisticated discussion starter.

Listened to Watain the other day. Always thought Casus Luciferi was the best, but now I'm more into Rabid Deaths Curse. Lawless Darkness also rules. Never bothered to check out the third album. Is it any good compared to the three?
Spektrale_Schattenlichter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing wrote:
Frozen wrote:
Desolatio wrote:
Frozen wrote:
Tireheb wrote:
bartwa wrote:

Well in case you haven't noticed, Frozen is the most revisionist poster on the whole nwn, stating everything as "simple facts" or objective truths.

But on the other hand, I still like that he is a sophisticated discussion starter.

Listened to Watain the other day. Always thought Casus Luciferi was the best, but now I'm more into Rabid Deaths Curse. Lawless Darkness also rules. Never bothered to check out the third album. Is it any good compared to the three?

I like him too! Trying to figure out who he is... can't be an awful lot of Swedes who went from crust punk to orthodox black metal to defending the worst Entombed albums in three steps. Or maybe that's really your typical Swede...

About Sworn to the Dark, I would say it is probably the one Watain album I like the most, despite the square production. Some really fantastic songs on there!
Frozen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, friends. I'm just here for an enjoyable exchange of opinions on a subject that's very dear to me.

Desolatio wrote:
Frozen wrote:

I don't think Season of Mist had any creative power over Watain, nor the rest of the bands on Norma Evagelium Diaboli, whom they also distributed. E. was fanatically into Bathory at the time, and wanted present a more "pure" version of the band.

I've never seen that interview but recall reading that it was poorly edited and made in order to make Watain appear as something they were not. I suppose he wanted a more feral approach in lyrics and sound, given the new MLO oriented direction, Sworn to the Dark sound much more beastly than Casus Luciferi.

edit: actually, comparing the whole discography, Casus Luciferi seems to be the strange one. Rabid Death's Curse was far more aggressive and morbid, much more in line with the third LP.

That's an interesting perspective, and I think you're right. Casus Luciferi is definitely the odd one out, though they did revisit some of its ideas on Lawless Darkness.
Alastor R.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:
Tireheb wrote:
bartwa wrote:

Hmmm...not so sure about it. Maybe a couple years later...? I think the connection between that swedish and french scene goes back to late 99/early 2000.
I may be wrong though.
TheDark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawless Darkness for me is the culmination of everything Watain worked for since their inception. An absolute flawless album in all regards.
Let the pain always stay with you
Sinvocation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katharsis - Kruzifixxion: Quite possibly one of the shittiest black metal albums ever. Strikingly dull in every way.

Funeral Mist - Salvation: A wild, unsettling album with great atmosphere. Spotty songwriting, but mostly engaging.

Watain - Casus Luciferi: Impeccable atmosphere and some really timeless riffs. I think "Opus Dei" is Watain's finest moment.

Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice: It has its moments, but I find this album bloated, overlong, and turgid in most respects. Seriously overrated, and not nearly as game-changing as it's touted to be.

Ofermod - MystÚrion TÚs Anomias: Fairly average, in my opinion. Ofermod would get better with time, but this is an okay listen.

Deathspell Omega - KÚn˘se: My favorite DsO material. Perfect mixture of ambiance and adventurousness, without going into spastic territory that gets self-indulgent like the later albums.

Katharsis - VVorldVVithoutEnd: The album where Katharsis went from being a super shitty Darkthrone knock-off, into something seriously massive. Genuinely infernal and crazed atmosphere, unmatched by any other band in some respects. Insane album, though it is a little monotonous in places.

Antaeus - Blood Libels: My favorite from this list, and a great piece of work that still holds up. I've sort of lost my love for the rest on Antaeus' work, but I still love this album. A very special aura of violence and decay, with a uniquely savage reinterpretation of the ecclesiastical angle of NED bands.

Deathspell Omega - Fas ľ Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum: I used to love this album, but with time, it has become a tedious listen for me. There are some great moments and quirks to it, but it hasn't aged well for me. An album I can appreciate more than actually enjoy.

Watain - Sworn To The Dark: Probably Watain's most well-balanced mixture of elements throughout their discography. Fluid and well-rounded songwriting and stylistic dynamics that make for a lot of good songs.
rthdx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinvocation wrote:
Katharsis - Kruzifixxion: Quite possibly one of the shittiest black metal albums ever. Strikingly dull in every way.

This x 666.
youtube
discogs
Spektrale_Schattenlichter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rthdx wrote:
Sinvocation wrote:

This x 666.

You guys...

If anyone wants to trade this splendid abomnation of an album on LP I'm game.
rthdx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to trade

Laughing
For this very band only selling for overjewish prices is proper & trve! Twisted Evil
youtube
discogs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: