P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Darkthrone - Goatlord
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Darkthrone - Goatlord Reply with quote

I never see it mentioned and it's one of those releases that you either love it or hate. Discuss, destroy, enjoy.

Last edited by hymnsoftheneedlefreak on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Endsieg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the edit.

Last edited by Endsieg on Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
heavyR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last DT release I really care about at this point. The next few up to and including Hate Them were all good as well, and probably deserve a revisiting, but this is the last one I would list in my top albums.
Captain Retard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only album of them i don't own.
I've never understood the purpose behind this release.
Why they recorded vocals to it a couple years later and included it to their discography is beyond my understanding.
Absolutely unnecessary album imo.
Widdershins

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Retard wrote:
Why they recorded vocals to it a couple years later and included it to their discography is beyond my understanding.

Not very difficult to understand.

They recorded the instrumentation for Goatlord after Soulside Journey, as it was a death metal album they shelved the recording when they decided to record A Blaze in the Northern Sky as their second release instead. In the mid 90's Fenriz dug out the tape and recorded vocals for it and titled it Goatlord in honor of the band Goatlord.

For me a very important album. I listened to it constantly throughout high school, and was even almost obsessed with it....and I still put it on from time to time. No comments are really needed on the obviously insane vocal performance and the riffing and song structures border on almost hallucinogenic or dream-like underlining that this is truly demented Satanic death metal. Drum sound and playing is unique and like a labyrinth. The rehearsal sound gives it even more twisted intimacy and the riffs are fucking EVIL. Just listening to that wide eyed and panicked opening that introduces Rex and Fenriz's opening scream, gives me chills every time.

An essential Darkthrone release, the deformed and neglected bastard child of the classic era of their discography.

Chaos Cascade / Putrescent Fog: Nuclear Cremation / Post-Mortal Desecrator tape

Chaos Cascade ‎– Distortion Crypt Blood Ritual Sessions I & II CD
Captain Retard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widdershins wrote:
Captain Retard wrote:

They recorded the instrumentation for Goatlord after Soulside Journey, as it was a death metal album they shelved the recording when they decided to record A Blaze in the Northern Sky as their second release instead. In the mid 90's Fenriz dug out the tape and recorded vocals for it and titled it Goatlord in honor of the band Goatlord.

Yeah, i know that. I just can not understand this release in general.
For me it doesn't sound coherent due to the time that passed.
It does not sound natural and for me it makes little sense.
Anyway cool to read that others fully enjoy(ed) this.
Antimosh003

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widdershins wrote:
Captain Retard wrote:

For me a very important album. I listened to it constantly throughout high school, and was even almost obsessed with it....and I still put it on from time to time. No comments are really needed on the obviously insane vocal performance and the riffing and song structures border on almost hallucinogenic or dream-like underlining that this is truly demented Satanic death metal. Drum sound and playing is unique and like a labyrinth. The rehearsal sound gives it even more twisted intimacy and the riffs are fucking EVIL. Just listening to that wide eyed and panicked opening that introduces Rex and Fenriz's opening scream, gives me chills every time.

An essential Darkthrone release, the deformed and neglected bastard child of the classic era of their discography.

Nice write up, I totally get where your coming from on your description.

Those re-releases of all the early albums on CD which came with a bonus disc of commentary about each album from the band a few years ago is worth a listen on the Goatlord front.
DM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widdershins wrote:
Captain Retard wrote:

Came to post pretty much the exact seem thing, evil, EVIL sounding record.
Widdershins

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Retard wrote:
Widdershins wrote:
Captain Retard wrote:

Yeah, i know that. I just can not understand this release in general.
For me it doesn't sound coherent due to the time that passed.
It does not sound natural and for me it makes little sense.
Anyway cool to read that others fully enjoy(ed) this.

Fair enough, it certainly is out of place at that point in their discography being released after Panzerfaust.

I also love Total Death so my opinion is probably in the minority on Goatlord as well. Goatlord I think is polarizing because of how bizarre and out of place it is, some people love it for that reason while others can't get into it. That and the falsetto vocals hah. It's also an interesting window as to where they were headed before deciding to become a black metal band.

Chaos Cascade / Putrescent Fog: Nuclear Cremation / Post-Mortal Desecrator tape

Chaos Cascade ‎– Distortion Crypt Blood Ritual Sessions I & II CD
Ough

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 with Widdershins on this one IDK what else I would say
TheUnnatural

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widdershins nailed it. Personal classic for me. I really like this kind of combination of technical playing and lo-fi sound.
Marlboro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their most Evil album.
RottingGrandmaCorpse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to like it a lot, to echo you other guys its just a fuckin ugly rad intrumental. I only owned the Frostland Tapes '91 version, without any vocals.
Spektrale_Schattenlichter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic album. The first one I got into by Darkthrone and for many years my favourite album by the band.

"Who talks about Impaled Nazarene? What are their great works? They were the REM of black metal, entirely forgettable."
Token

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful recording with loads of ear candy. Perfect party album.

EDIT: Was and still is one my bigger inspirations/influences regarding drums in metal. Gylve's efforts are close to legendary in my book, not only Goatlord but more or less throughout their whole disco (Isengard included).

Last edited by Token on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: