P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Mifits-Walk Among Us Earache Reissue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rawdogblues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostjunkie wrote:
People are spending $13 extra for colored vinyl?

Why not? They'll spend $249.75 (before taxes and fees) for floor seats at a Misfits show...they're a hot commodity. $13 is a drop in the bucket.
Cursed_Reefer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too Dark Park wrote:
If only this was a Samhain reissue thread Sad

Exclamation
hellmask

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonwave wrote:
at one point, i spent too much effort trying to figure out which version of this record was the "good sounding mix", and it wasn't the fucking chris d. redo in the late '80s or whatever. that was so fucking plastic and wimpy.

somebody remind us which version was the best sounding one again?

The original on Ruby/Slash is considered the best. The '88 reissue on Ruby/Warner Brothers also sounds great to my ears...maybe a bit quieter than the original, but really no noticeable differences that I can tell. I haven't heard the recent Rhino reissue, but supposedly it's pretty muddy sounding.

The 12 Hits From Hell record that was shelved (available as a bootleg LP, or if you were lucky a legit promo CD) was recorded at a single session in 1980 and has a bunch of songs from WAU (and more) and sounds pretty damn awesome...not sure it's better than WAU, but definitely essential for Misfits fiends. Some of the songs have guitar by both Bobby Steele and Doyle (recorded at different times), which is kinda cool.
nonwave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the '88 reissue is definitely fully remixed and has a ton of digital reverb, as far as i can remember. it's definitely very different sounding if you put them back to back. at the time it was disappointing and pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

i think even with the original 1982 issues there was ONE foreign version or something like that which sounded more raw than all of them. but, like i said, i haven't thought about it in a while. the first time i heard it was probably around 1987 when there was a 2X7" bootleg circulating.

12 hits from hell is great!

in a weird way, my favorite versions of the walk among us songs are on evilive. the in between song banter is immortal.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got an Italian bootleg from 2000 that sounds and looks friggin’ ace. And a bunch of other bootlegs of the original EPs, live shit, etc. I think I own like 15 Misfits LPs and the only ones that are legit are Earth AD, Static Age and 12 Hits From Hell.

In short, I have no need to take chances with reissues. Thanks for your time.
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the blue vinyl and cover bout that sounds fine. But I usually throw on the 180g black repress

Shirts: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/posting.php
hellmask

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonwave wrote:
the '88 reissue is definitely fully remixed and has a ton of digital reverb, as far as i can remember. it's definitely very different sounding if you put them back to back. at the time it was disappointing and pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

Not sure that is correct. I just listened to the '82 Ruby/Slash and '88 Ruby/Warner LPs back to back. They sound nearly identical. I don't think the '88 version is a different mix at all, and I don't hear any excessive "digital reverb." Keep in mind this isn't a scientific comparison at all - just the ol' ear test!

I think what you're referring to is the note on the back cover that says 'remixed by Chris D.'. That note appears on both the '82 and '88 LPs, and I think it refers to the way the album was put together. To make the album, GD chose songs from different recording sessions, and also added new guitar parts and vocals. GD and Chris D. then remixed it all so it sounded like one cohesive record instead of a compilation of songs from different sessions. (Chris D. was in the band The Flesh Eaters and was the main producer for Ruby/Slash.)

Does anyone else have any insight into this?
patientot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna guess Earache was given a digital transfer of the master tape and not the actual tape or a lacquer cut thereof to work with. If you look at the pictures of the tape boxes, there is a spine sticker that says the tape was digitally archived. Warner has also been known to provide digital files in most cases for reissues. If something is cut straight from analog to lacquer with no digital step, it's usually made pretty clear when Warner is involved and I doubt they would've let Earache do it in that case. It would've been done through their Rhino imprint and they'd be advertising that Kevin Gray cut it and so on.

If the last Rhino reissue wasn't any good you can most likely thank Rainbo for that. I haven't heard it but a lot of pressing defects come out of that plant IME. I don't like buying LPs pressed there if I can help it.
hellmask

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patientot wrote:
I'm gonna guess Earache was given a digital transfer of the master tape and not the actual tape or a lacquer cut thereof to work with. If you look at the pictures of the tape boxes, there is a spine sticker that says the tape was digitally archived. Warner has also been known to provide digital files in most cases for reissues. If something is cut straight from analog to lacquer with no digital step, it's usually made pretty clear when Warner is involved and I doubt they would've let Earache do it in that case. It would've been done through their Rhino imprint and they'd be advertising that Kevin Gray cut it and so on.

If the last Rhino reissue wasn't any good you can most likely thank Rainbo for that. I haven't heard it but a lot of pressing defects come out of that plant IME. I don't like buying LPs pressed there if I can help it.

Good info!

Does anyone here have the Rhino reissue? Curious to see if it actually sounds as bad as what I've been told...
S.H.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Rhino usually still pretty high quality? At least all what I've heard sound pretty awesome, but I'm nearly deaf so there's that.

Good info, patientot. Thanks!
Cursed_Reefer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have the 2009 Rhino re-issue. It sounds damn good to me, but I don't have any other versions to compare. All other Rhino re-issues that I have, like MC5 or Stooges sound great too.
patientot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S.H. wrote:
Isn't Rhino usually still pretty high quality? At least all what I've heard sound pretty awesome, but I'm nearly deaf so there's that.

Good info, patientot. Thanks!

Rhino uses several different pressing plants and half a dozen different mastering engineers. They've done cut rate releases that are nothing more than 16/44 pressed to vinyl by GZ as well as top notch releases that compete with anything the big audiophile labels put out. In other words, very much a case by case basis with this label/imprint.
kvltivation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything wrong with the 2009 rhino pressing? Because that one is only 17 bucks with free shipping on Amazon. Think I might snag it. I just can't justify spending almost 50 bucks on a plain record.
hellmask

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the Earache reissue in the mail today and just spun it.

First, it looks great. Cover image is perfectly clear, vinyl is heavy and the color is cool (purple), and the inner sleeve has the original lyrics layout and is on thicker paper than the original. Only complaint with packaging is the inner sleeve doesn't have the awesome photo collage that is on the original...instead it is replaced with a large Crimson Ghost and the band logo and album title. My copy came with an album flat featuring a photo from the Eerie Von cave sessions. Pretty cool!

BTW - this is Earache release MOSH666. The matrix has some cool writing: one side says "MOSH666 IS HORROR BUSINESS" and the other says "EBAY PRICE $666".

On to the music. I spun a few songs from the first press just so I could have a comparison. The Earache version does sound incredible. It's not much different than the original...everything's just a bit clearer and the overall sound is a little bit cleaner and "brighter" for lack of a better word. It is not noticeably louder and is certainly not remastered...no brickwalling or anything like that. Overall, it sounds killer and I love it. Highly recommended, even at the steep price.
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellmask wrote:
Got the Earache reissue in the mail today and just spun it.

First, it looks great. Cover image is perfectly clear, vinyl is heavy and the color is cool (purple), and the inner sleeve has the original lyrics layout and is on thicker paper than the original. Only complaint with packaging is the inner sleeve doesn't have the awesome photo collage that is on the original...instead it is replaced with a large Crimson Ghost and the band logo and album title. My copy came with an album flat featuring a photo from the Eerie Von cave sessions. Pretty cool!

BTW - this is Earache release MOSH666. The matrix has some cool writing: one side says "MOSH666 IS HORROR BUSINESS" and the other says "EBAY PRICE $666".

On to the music. I spun a few songs from the first press just so I could have a comparison. The Earache version does sound incredible. It's not much different than the original...everything's just a bit clearer and the overall sound is a little bit cleaner and "brighter" for lack of a better word. It is not noticeably louder and is certainly not remastered...no brickwalling or anything like that. Overall, it sounds killer and I love it. Highly recommended, even at the steep price.

Got mine today as well and spun a bit. Agreed with everything you said.

Shirts: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/posting.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: