P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Cemetery Lights "The Church..." Demo 2 Out Now
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunned this comes from the States. No one gets this sound right. This is the most Mortuary Drape sounding thing I have came across. Well done! Thank goodness I listened to this instead of putting it off thinking it was a shitty post-punk revival project.
axebix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:
Stunned this comes from the States. No one gets this sound right. This is the most Mortuary Drape sounding thing I have came across. Well done! Thank goodness I listened to this instead of putting it off thinking it was a shitty post-punk revival project.

I also confused it for that post punkish band with purple cover (and word cemetery in name if I'm not mistaken) on Iron Bonehead.

Song is really cool and guitar sound is genius! I still think all those old releases with drum machine would be better with live drums and classic Ludwig sound from 70s but I appreciate the shitty quality of it and have nothing against new bands doing the same, now when it's easier than ever, for nostalgic purposes and evoking that special aura.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axebix wrote:

I also confused it for that post punkish band with purple cover (and word cemetery in name if I'm not mistaken) on Iron Bonehead.

Song is really cool and guitar sound is genius! I still think all those old releases with drum machine would be better with live drums and classic Ludwig sound from 70s but I appreciate the shitty quality of it and have nothing against new bands doing the same, now when it's easier than ever, for nostalgic purposes and evoking that special aura.

I close my eyes and I think it's the Drape!! This guy nailed the sound.
sksxxx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

''One of the guys from Askio Productions in Greece ended up buying a few copies of Lemuralia. If you're still interested in getting that one of that release then that might be your best bet! Hopefully shipping costs between the USA and Europe will improve someday.''

No copies.

Last edited by sksxxx on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
hellmask

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got Lemuralia a couple of weeks ago from NWN and it is excellent. Haunting atmosphere - truly a great late-night listen. Can't wait to hear the new tape - ordered it yesterday along with the Faustcoven diehard!
Fork Tongue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necrologue wrote:
Very happy to read the feedback so far!

inot wrote:
Is this available somewhere in europe? Tried to order the first demo straight from the band, but the postages are insane. Still, great stuff!! Like Mortuary Drape mixed with the greek sound.

One of the guys from Askio Productions in Greece ended up buying a few copies of Lemuralia. If you're still interested in getting that one of that release then that might be your best bet! Hopefully shipping costs between the USA and Europe will improve someday.

Dr. Decibel wrote:
I get more of a Morricone by way of Black Twilight Circle vibe from at least the first demo. Haven't received the new tape yet, so maybe there's more of that on the new one. Of course I can hear the Hellenic influence on the first tape, but it's not overwhelming to me. Not like it was with Necromantic Worship, or a band like Ithaqua, say.

That's interesting! Between the Roman themes on the first demo and the Morricone similarities it seems I'm teetering dangerously close to being "spaghetti metal"! Haha! While Fields of the Nephilim may be to blame for the Morricone vibe, I can't speak for the BTC similarities since I've never listened to those projects.

I purposely try to steer away from overt Hellenic worship since, in my opinion, it's very difficult to keep interesting. Hierophant's Descent, Necromantic Worship, and Cult Of Eibon are the only recent bands to directly pull from that style which I really enjoy. Preserving the spirit is the most important aspect of it for my own songwriting, although some more overt nods towards Greece may surface eventually.

NWN PROD wrote:
The first demo has more Mortuary Drape on it. The second demo is more unique in my opinion. It definitely has some Drape, Necromantia, and traditional heavy metal influences coming through (via Greek black metal's love for heavy metal maybe?)

Yeah, most of the heavy metal influence is second-hand through other bands. I enjoy some of the classics (as well as traditional doom), but it's largely not a genre which I spend much time listening to.

The Treblinka, Tiamat (including Wildhoney), and Expulsion circle of bands are a big influence on me. I don't know if it translates that way in practice, though.

Damn, didn't know this is an RI project. Good shit. You getting any of these to Armageddon? If not I'll go ahead and order from here.
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am going to break down and order the CASSETTE.
I have a feeling there will be a vinyl one day though.
Is that first demo for sale anywhere?

Buy my records:
https://www.discogs.com/seller/Inh722/profile
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn Bastard 666 wrote:
Ok, I am going to break down and order the CASSETTE.
Is that first demo for sale anywhere?

First demo will be reissued on NWN at some point in the future.

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Necrologue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axebix wrote:

Ahaha, I didn't know about that band called Cemetery Glow before. That's an odd coincidence.

I'll admit that I have mixed feelings about the drums. On one hand programming them hearkens to a very specific style which I admire very much. They assist in the songwriting process since I mold the fills to the riffs instead of relying solely on habitual patterns which my hands are accustomed to. As an extension of that, I also fear that live drumming would make the music more visceral instead of atmospheric since my influences as a drummer come from faster and heavier artists.

On the other hand it does have limitations aurally as well as functionally. I guess the sound is unmistakable and ends up detracting from the music for some listeners.

I'm evaluating all these things for future recordings. There's a lot of opportunity for experimentation as well as growth as a musician to be had from this dilemma!

Fork Tongue wrote:
Damn, didn't know this is an RI project. Good shit. You getting any of these to Armageddon? If not I'll go ahead and order from here.

Huh, I hadn't thought of doing that before. I might consider it. Since there are a lot of other great releases from NWN! to check out (some of which arguably pair well with The Church on the Island!) I would encourage getting it from the site. The time is ripe for occult black metal!

WANT / TRADE
hammertime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PURPLE vinyl???!!
Necrologue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammertime wrote:

PURPLE vinyl???!!

LIGHT-UP vinyl!

WANT / TRADE
LazerBeast

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make it glow in the dark purple!

But seriously, some of the best stuff I've heard in awhile. Glad I grabbed the first demo awhile back before it sold out.
Necrologue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received my copies the other day. Locals can request a copy and sort out a means of exchange (such as at a show, etc). Still need to contact Armageddon shop to see if they would be interested in carrying any tapes.

I'll be at Varathron in NY on Friday and The Chasm in MD on Saturday.

WANT / TRADE
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like people are finding out about the band. The demo has started to sell pretty well.

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Necrologue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super stoked that word is getting around. There are some tentative dates for live shows next winter / spring. Nothing concrete but something to shoot for.

WANT / TRADE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: