P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

At what point do you think flipping became a real problem?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ar·bi·trage
ˈärbəˌträZH
noun
the simultaneous buying and selling of securities, currency, or commodities in different markets or in derivative forms in order to take advantage of differing prices for the same asset.
Darkhivist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "flipping" is the "correct" term here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flipping

whereas it covers the whole garage/estate sale thang, and general searching for rare items at low prices and then reselling for higher - I believe the concept OP was talking about is the current one that is more hype-related; buying something new, currently available in an open market, you don't want but others do, in order to mark up the price and resell (this restricting the original consumer base). in these specific cases it seems to be about people buying rare things they don't like/want so they can profit at 5x, 6x, 7x the original price, which can make then make the product avalable only to certain markets, i.e. people with a certain degree of disposable income thus removing the item from a certain market, like the underground, and pushing it into realm of an almost "haute couture" product - a fancy punk tape, if you will.
nok
banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditmasduke wrote:
Kojiri wrote:
Record flipping seems like a cool idea to make cash but to me it seems like 5th grade junior investors fumbling with their allowance money on penny stocks. Nobody is going to get rich off of selling music. Well almost nobody, so why waste all your time on trying if it's that money youre after? Put on your big boy pants and go be an investment banker or a hedge fund manager and grow the fuck up. Otherwise just keep enjoying music

Look up businesses in your area that clean out houses. Get in touch with them, grease their palms and they will call you every time they find the stuff you are interested in. I’ve done this with just 1 house clearer in my area and it nets me an extra $2000 a week on average. Records, decades old bottles of booze, collectibles, etc. they appreciate not having to store, transport and flea market the stuff and i sell it fast locally.

Do you live in a smallish town? In the city I live in, all those avenues have already been established by other record collectors. Estate sales are picked the day before because palms were greased. And every record store (my city has plenty) has their preferred lists of customers, and anytime someone brings in a trove of awesome used records, the shop calls the people on that list before those records ever hit the bins for the public. Too many record collector hawks for much luck to be had by the average Joe. I've bought most of the records I've wanted by simply paying the asking price on Discogs. Less headache. And if a record is too much, I simply don't buy it. I don't complain.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is competition on every level. ...from the pursuit of a mate to eating order in the pack.

Humans are the only animal kind of dumb enough to always forget this it would seem haha
mithrandir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't really bother me none, I just get mad at myself whenever I want something and it turns out to be long OOP, I kick myself for not jumping on it sooner Wink
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nok wrote:
ditmasduke wrote:
Kojiri wrote:
Record flipping seems like a cool idea to make cash but to me it seems like 5th grade junior investors fumbling with their allowance money on penny stocks. Nobody is going to get rich off of selling music. Well almost nobody, so why waste all your time on trying if it's that money youre after? Put on your big boy pants and go be an investment banker or a hedge fund manager and grow the fuck up. Otherwise just keep enjoying music

Look up businesses in your area that clean out houses. Get in touch with them, grease their palms and they will call you every time they find the stuff you are interested in. I’ve done this with just 1 house clearer in my area and it nets me an extra $2000 a week on average. Records, decades old bottles of booze, collectibles, etc. they appreciate not having to store, transport and flea market the stuff and i sell it fast locally.

Do you live in a smallish town? In the city I live in, all those avenues have already been established by other record collectors. Estate sales are picked the day before because palms were greased. And every record store (my city has plenty) has their preferred lists of customers, and anytime someone brings in a trove of awesome used records, the shop calls the people on that list before those records ever hit the bins for the public. Too many record collector hawks for much luck to be had by the average Joe. I've bought most of the records I've wanted by simply paying the asking price on Discogs. Less headache. And if a record is too much, I simply don't buy it. I don't complain.

The book trade is exactly the same. Ever wonder how the musty 2nd hand book shops you see fewer of these days stay in business? And why there is never anything really good in there? Same reason. The storefront only exists to move the worthless shit they buy to get at the 3 or 4 good items in the collection they have bought from descended sales and such. The first editions and rarities are sold by calling/emailing their regulars, and as with most things the 80:20 rule holds true- 80 percent of their profit comes from 20 percent of the stock, and you better believe they don’t make many mistakes about it. Only once have I seen a somewhat valuable (and then still sub $200 book) slip past the keeper at places I used to frequent - a 1st edition of “weave world”. When you can rock up at an estate sale of a 90 year old and buy everything on their bookshelves for $100, disposing of the shit at $5 a pop is no problem if there are early editions of classics mixed among it.

Records are the same - I collect World Serpent records and associated stuff. Local shop orders me a copy of whatever COIL boots he finds on the off chance I don’t have it, and originals and rarities go to informal and closed auction among maybe 5 people before they hit the shelf.
Fork Tongue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
nok wrote:
ditmasduke wrote:
Kojiri wrote:

The book trade is exactly the same. Ever wonder how the musty 2nd hand book shops you see fewer of these days stay in business? And why there is never anything really good in there? Same reason. The storefront only exists to move the worthless shit they buy to get at the 3 or 4 good items in the collection they have bought from descended sales and such. The first editions and rarities are sold by calling/emailing their regulars, and as with most things the 80:20 rule holds true- 80 percent of their profit comes from 20 percent of the stock, and you better believe they don’t make many mistakes about it. Only once have I seen a somewhat valuable (and then still sub $200 book) slip past the keeper at places I used to frequent - a 1st edition of “weave world”. When you can rock up at an estate sale of a 90 year old and buy everything on their bookshelves for $100, disposing of the shit at $5 a pop is no problem if there are early editions of classics mixed among it.

Records are the same - I collect World Serpent records and associated stuff. Local shop orders me a copy of whatever COIL boots he finds on the off chance I don’t have it, and originals and rarities go to informal and closed auction among maybe 5 people before they hit the shelf.

Yea I mentioned earlier that I was at a library book sale and there were 4 or 5 people in there with scanners on their phone scanning every book, presumably price checking amazon or something. Filling up bags and bags.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just in discussion with my roommate this morning while dropping her off at work... in her excitement for some record fair coming up I of course squashed the excitement with my deadpan reasoning that 'there are NO deals to be had anymore...'

Obviously with the vast extensive spread of the internet and the sheer amount of utilization of discogs and price setting, no one sells anything anymore at what one might consider a real deal, everything is accurately priced according to whatever the general agreed on 'value' of said item is believed to hold.

The chances of stumbling on some rare yet cheap item is very unlikely... so I have no excitement for this fair, its just a bunch of flippers there to try and hawk their wares. May as well just order from home online etc etc

I suppose I do enjoy pointing out the obvious to those still under the illusion they are going to score some great find.
Zombie Dance

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point I paid one year of college fee by stealing book from their university library and selling them online. I have already waay too much stuff to do and to buy records for resale... If you're a music fan enough, you should know there's always scene/era that gets less attention and you can always fill your wantlist ith some cheapos. Hint : right now is the time to buy Ritual Ambient from the 80ies/Early 90ies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwnrew5cQd0
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie Dance wrote:
At one point by stealing

Ever tried this tactic on labels by ordering and then paypal claiming?
Please... do tell.
ditmasduke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nok wrote:
ditmasduke wrote:
Kojiri wrote:

Live in a small city that borders a mid-size capital city. Just need to find 1 or 2 busy cleaners, get in good and keep them happy. I’m their first call, saves them from storing, transporting and selling at flea markets. Even if they’re like Herb Alpert records I’ll throw em on eBay in a cheap lot of 20 and some old codger will buy it. Thanks Media Mail.
Nightvvolf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
Was just in discussion with my roommate this morning while dropping her off at work... in her excitement for some record fair coming up I of course squashed the excitement with my deadpan reasoning that 'there are NO deals to be had anymore...'

Obviously with the vast extensive spread of the internet and the sheer amount of utilization of discogs and price setting, no one sells anything anymore at what one might consider a real deal, everything is accurately priced according to whatever the general agreed on 'value' of said item is believed to hold.

The chances of stumbling on some rare yet cheap item is very unlikely... so I have no excitement for this fair, its just a bunch of flippers there to try and hawk their wares. May as well just order from home online etc etc

I suppose I do enjoy pointing out the obvious to those still under the illusion they are going to score some great find.

Ahh, take her to the fare and act interested. You'll probably get a BJ on the ride home.
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie Dance wrote:
At one point I paid one year of college fee by stealing book from their university library and selling them online.

What a scummy thing to do. That’s behaviour I’d expect from some kind of junkie degenerate. What a fucking champ.
Bestial Walrus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kojiri wrote:

Yea the real money is in flipping Yeezys and Supreme gear...
morbidrites

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
Zombie Dance wrote:
At one point I paid one year of college fee by stealing book from their university library and selling them online.

What a scummy thing to do. That’s behaviour I’d expect from some kind of junkie degenerate. What a fucking champ.

people do what they have to do. I was a scumbag thief from the time i was 18-25 and would run all sorts of scams to get enough money to live in a shit apartment, pay for school, and afford to tour with my band at the time. i haven't stolen anything in years since I don't feel the need to anymore. But I wouldn't be alive without shoplifting and hustling. some people are just trying to make it out here.

seems like a board full of people into perversity and evil is a weird place to find you, mr. judgey mcjudgerson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: