P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Mayhem bootlegs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Törrmentor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Mayhem bootlegs Reply with quote

I have loved (old) Mayhem for a long time, but never bothered to get a hold on any of the 24534 different bootlegs floating around.
After some investigation on my own, I came to the conclusion that Dawn of The Blackhearts must be purchased.
Are there any other bootlegs worth having? Any of some historical value?
peterott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend:

From The Darkest Past CD
In Memorium CD
Mayhem/Morbid Split LP
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially In Memorium CD (great contest - 7EP contais only two tracks, nice to collection, but not too much to listein to) and Dawn of the Black Hearts.

By the way, title of second one is taken from lyric written by Fenriz for Darkthrone, but Euronymous never liked this title. Of course later Fenriz said something like "that was too brutal for mayhem", yeah, as we know from Fenriz's talks, he is the best, and he know everything etc Rolling Eyes
www.doomzine.bandcamp.com
Antimosh003

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Elm Zalag is the shit Rolling Eyes
Mz412

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mayhem / thou shalt suffer is also nice Very Happy
Opolus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAYHEM/MORBID Split LP (whatever vinyl pressing there is)
"Out From The Dark" Picture LP (although that one is supposed to be official. Featuring the most well known rehearsal with Dead)
"War and Sodomy" (collectible for its harsh cover artwork as well as being the first vinyl bootleg featuring the Zeitz gig)
"Ha-Elm Zalag" (exatly as above -talking about the artwork-, but featuring a pretty cool rehearsal with Dead. First vinyl appearance of the unreleased track, EMPEROR culled the riff for "Ye Entrancemperium")
"Live in Jessheim" (pretty well done lay-out-wise)

"Dawn Of The Black Hearts" was indeed a lyric/poem Fenriz wrote for MAYHEM at the time. To anyone interested, the original handwritten script is featured in the booklet/poster of the current "Life Eternal" release, which Atilla put out.
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opolus wrote:

"Dawn Of The Black Hearts" was indeed a lyric/poem Fenriz wrote for MAYHEM at the time. To anyone interested, the original handwritten script is featured in the booklet/poster of the current "Life Eternal" release, which Atilla put out.

its still not wroth the main price Wink
Voidhanger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some favourites of mine:

Dawn of the Black Hearts: MAYHEM live in 1990. Good sound. Some versions have a 1986 live show added on, and some other also have the Pure Fucking Armageddon demo added on. I think some have both.

From the Darkest Past: rehearsal of 7 of the 8 tracks from De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas without vocals. One of my favourite MAYHEM recordings, the ambiance is kind of eerie - the lack of vocals is just as hard-hitting as Dead was. The recent digipack reissue also adds the two tracks from the CBR compilation and a short 1986 instrumental rehearsal.

In Memorium: most notable for the 1991 rehearsal on it, it also has a few tracks from the From the Darkest Past rehearsal and some other stuff as well.

Pure Fucking Armageddon: this has what you think it has on it, haha.

The Great War: Live in Jessheim: MAYHEM live in 1990 again - this bootleg is by far the worst quality sound-wise, but if you want more of MAYHEM live in 1990, it's out there.

War & Sodomy - Live in Zeitz: another bootleg of MAYHEM live in 1990. Sound quality slightly worse than Dawn of the Black Hearts, and takes place two days before the Leipzig gig. The version released on Cult ov Evil Gods has a 1988 rehearsal added on, but the sound quality of the live show is worse than on the Transilvania Records version.

Ones to stay away from:

Last Breath: (Last Recordings with Dead: utter shit. It has the 1988 rehearsal with Dead on vocals with abysmal sound quality, and the rest of the CD is literally inaudible. Completely useless.

I also find the MAYHEM/MORBID split to be useless. It has one track from Deathcrush, the two CBR compilation tracks and a song from Live in Leipzig. On top of that, the MORBID side has the December Moon demo with considerably worse sound quality than on the official Reaper Records rerelease.

The DARKTHRONE/MAYHEM split is also pretty useless, just has Deathcrush with poor sound and DARKTHRONE's Thulcandra demo with sound worse than their reissue of it on Frostland Tapes.

I've been looking for a copy of In Memorium but still haven't been able to get a hold of one. Anyone able to help me out?
Professor Black

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the De Mysteriis purple LP from ca. 2001 is awesome.
deathster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My faves are:
1. Mayhem / Morbid split LP. First Mayhem bootleg. It was for me must-to-have when it got released in 1994. And this is when I got it also.

2. "Dawn of the black hearts" LP. I remember when Uncle Underground wrote me that he will get new Mayhem bootleg with Deads corpse on the cover. He only got like 20 copies or so and for high price like 25USD per piece. Again, this very same vinyl is in my collection since 1995.

3. "Out from the Dark" PicLP. Ordered directly from Warren /Black Metal Records in 1996. Got golden edition.

Those 3 are my faves. And when this "Freezing Moon/Carnage" PicLP came out I was not interested in such bootlegs any more. I mean it did not felt right. Same tracks I could listen from "Live in Leipzig" LP too.
Antimosh003

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt really think the Mayhem/Darkthrone split was that bad in terms of sound quality for Deathcrush. Maybe I should give it a spin again, but to what I remember its exactly the same as the original.
Mz412

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the artwork of the "freezing monn / Carnage" is fucking great Very Happy
the "out from the dark" picture lps i traded away, they were not
so good like the price they sells...
Voidhanger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antimosh003 wrote:
I didnt really think the Mayhem/Darkthrone split was that bad in terms of sound quality for Deathcrush. Maybe I should give it a spin again, but to what I remember its exactly the same as the original.

On the CD version I have of it the sound is much quieter. I had that the longest time and it was the reason I didn't buy Deathcrush until recently, I was at the MAYHEM site and heard one of the songs from Deathcrush there and though to myself "shit, is this what the album is supposed to sound like?"
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thers also a CD bootleg with whole Deathcrush and De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas - one of most useless and stupid relase ever. Fuck such bootlegs.
Voidhanger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that one's called The True Armageddon I think. Well... it's a space-saver if anything, haha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: