P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Early Meshuggah and related.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Step by step
Ejaculation Of Salvation
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Meshuggah
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Contradictions Collapse
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
None
24%
 24%  [ 10 ]
Destroy Erase Improve
41%
 41%  [ 17 ]
Chaosphere
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects Ė Sol Niger Within
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 41

Numerator41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Early Meshuggah and related. Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
Frozen wrote:
there really was nothing to compare them to.

Confessor.

I fucking love Confessor but I always thought this was a pretty loose comparison. I'd probably like Meshuggah a lot more if they were just a Confessor rip but I'll go with Contradictions Collapse.
Frozen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Early Meshuggah and related. Reply with quote

Numerator41 wrote:
Devoured Death wrote:
Frozen wrote:

Confessor.

I fucking love Confessor but I always thought this was a pretty loose comparison.

I agree, but I still regard both Condemned and Destroy Erase Improve as part of the same exclusive club of forward-thinking albums, also including Calculating Infinity and Obscura. It is unfortunately hard to find technical music that is not totally over-produced and void of atmosphere.
Frozen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of progressive metal, I highly recommend Jeff Wagner's book, Mean Deviation.
ditmasduke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Meshuggah and related. Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:
Numerator41 wrote:
Devoured Death wrote:
Frozen wrote:

Confessor.

I fucking love Confessor but I always thought this was a pretty loose comparison.

I agree, but I still regard both Condemned and Destroy Erase Improve as part of the same exclusive club of forward-thinking albums, also including Calculating Infinity and Obscura. It is unfortunately hard to find technical music that is not totally over-produced and void of atmosphere.

To me Dillinger Escape Plan and Meshuggah were never forward thinking. They were bands that made ďextreme metalĒ more palatable to those who are not keen on sick, evil and diseased music. Both bands also lifting plenty of ideas from Pantera. Yes even DEP.

Gorguts went thru a phase of ripping off Human Remains, I like Obscura but it is highly derivative.
mithrandir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Meshuggah and related. Reply with quote

ditmasduke wrote:

To me Dillinger Escape Plan and Meshuggah were never forward thinking.

lmao
Ough

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many generalizations and assumptions being tossed about
Frozen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Meshuggah and related. Reply with quote

mithrandir wrote:
ditmasduke wrote:

lmao

I had to laugh at that as well.

Meshuggah did not get their style from Pantera, yet both bands were huge fans of Rush, and you can trace their use of polyrhythms back to songs such as Cygnus X-1 from A Farewell to Kings, so the comparison is not totally off. But to me, that is a huge compliment to both bands.
ditmasduke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Meshuggah and related. Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:
mithrandir wrote:
ditmasduke wrote:

lmao

Meshuggah did not get their style from Pantera, yet both bands were huge fans of Rush, and you can trace their use of polyrhythms back to songs such as Cygnus X-1 from A Farewell to Kings, so the comparison is not totally off. But to me, that is a huge compliment to both bands.

Rubbish. Meshuggah list Pantera as an influence in various public biographies.

DEP were yuppie kids who took discordant, politically correct hardcore which exploded in the mid 90ísand mixed it with a little Human Remains, Mind Eraser (the NJ one) and Naked City. Their style was better executed by Lethargy 5 years earlier. Their later shit sounds like Tool and NIN, in what way is that moving forward? In the twisted landscape that is death and black metal, DEP are pretty fucking normal and safe despite what their swinging guitars want you to think.
Frozen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Meshuggah and related. Reply with quote

[quote="ditmasduke"]
Frozen wrote:
mithrandir wrote:
ditmasduke wrote:

lmao

ditmasduke wrote:

No it is not. Meshuggah have certainly expressed an appreciation for Pantera, but to claim that they sound the same is absurd.

ditmasduke wrote:
DEP were yuppie kids who took discordant, politically correct hardcore which exploded in the mid 90ísand mixed it with a little Human Remains, Mind Eraser (the NJ one) and Naked City. Their style was better executed by Lethargy 5 years earlier. Their later shit sounds like Tool and NIN, in what way is that moving forward? In the twisted landscape that is death and black metal, DEP are pretty fucking normal and safe despite what their swinging guitars want you to think.

Calculating Infinity and Obscura sound nothing like Human Remains, and while I can hear similarities between The Dillinger Escape Plan and Lethargy, I disagree that the latter did it better. It's Hard to Write with a Little Hand is much more straight forward.

Watchtower predated all of these bands, but that does not make them the only relevant tech metal band, now does it?
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I heard Meshuggah I was convinced it was The T-1000 forming a band
ditmasduke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Meshuggah and related. Reply with quote

[quote="Frozen"]
ditmasduke wrote:
Frozen wrote:
mithrandir wrote:
ditmasduke wrote:

lmao

ditmasduke wrote:

No it is not. Meshuggah have certainly expressed an appreciation for Pantera, but to claim that they sound the same is absurd.

ditmasduke wrote:

Calculating Infinity and Obscura sound nothing like Human Remains, and while I can hear similarities between The Dillinger Escape Plan and Lethargy, I disagree that the latter did it better. It's Hard to Write with a Little Hand is much more straight forward.

Watchtower predated all of these bands, but that does not make them the only relevant tech metal band, now does it?

Luc would be the first to tell you that entire album was based on his exposure to Human Remains. It was known then, and published by now.

Meshuggah are very similarly to Pantera both vocally and musically, not identical. They list them as an influence in biographies, enough said.

DEP were huge Human Remains fans and took influence from them. In the 90ís I knew those guys well enough, they were all yuppie kids from Morris County NJ who came from the 90ís hardcore scene. I donít see how they moved anything forward. Lethargyís music was a large jump and move forward. DEPís music was gimmickry based in 90ís hardcore trends that ultimately turned into alternative rock.

Watchtower were great musicians, clearly fans of Rush, but overrated among internet revisionists.
Frozen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Meshuggah and related. Reply with quote

ditmasduke wrote:
Luc would be the first to tell you that entire album was based on his exposure to Human Remains. It was known then, and published by now.

Human Remains might have inspired Luc to write Obscura, but that does not make it a derivative work. The guitars are played in a completely different style and tuning, just to name one obvious difference. Human Remains were a great band, but that does not make them the fountainhead of all tech metal.

ditmasduke wrote:
Meshuggah are very similarly to Pantera both vocally and musically, not identical. They list them as an influence in biographies, enough said.

If you cannot hear the obvious musical differences between Pantera and Meshuggah, then so be it.

ditmasduke wrote:
DEP were huge Human Remains fans and took influence from them. In the 90ís I knew those guys well enough, they were all yuppie kids from Morris County NJ who came from the 90ís hardcore scene. I donít see how they moved anything forward. Lethargyís music was a large jump and move forward. DEPís music was gimmickry based in 90ís hardcore trends that ultimately turned into alternative rock.

Perhaps you should consider learning about musical theory, as you clearly have a hard time distinguishing the style of one band from another.

ditmasduke wrote:
Watchtower were great musicians, clearly fans of Rush, but overrated among internet revisionists.

This is just plain false. Read Jeff Wagner's Mean Deviation, and you will know better.

That said, I am done discussing this with you.
Frozen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drumming on Bruford's One of a Kind reminds me a lot of early Meshuggah. Has Haake ever mentioned Bill Bruford as an influence?
Vanitas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in this piece where he talked about his main influences:

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-10-30/meshuggah-tomas-haake-drummers-that-changed-my-life
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destroy Erase Improve, Chaosphere and Nothing are the best in my book. Nothing will fuck you right in the brain through your ears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: