P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Mastering errors
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HotBlack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Mastering errors Reply with quote

I was reminded of Frozen Shadows recently from a discussion in another thread, so I gave them a spin. Awesome albums, but I noticed an artifact in track 7 - Under Horrid Skies on the Dans Les Bras Des Immortels album SP001 1999 pressing. There is a brief moment where the audio completely cuts out... looks like this:

Has anyone noticed this on their copy?

Post any glitched pressings you've come across here. Would be a good resource to identify albums with faulty mastering or if its particular to your copy.
S.H.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atleast on my copy of Sigrblot "Blodsband (Blood Religion Manifest)" LP has something fucked up going on with the guitars. High ends tend to get fuzzy on couple of tracks. Anyone else noticed this?
Tireheb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S.H. wrote:
Atleast on my copy of Sigrblot "Blodsband (Blood Religion Manifest)" LP has something fucked up going on with the guitars. High ends tend to get fuzzy on couple of tracks. Anyone else noticed this?

Sounds more like that the LP is dirty. Maybe washing the vinyl could fix that, and usually it will.

LAMENTATION "Grabens Symphonie" 2CD OUT NOW!
S.H.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
S.H. wrote:

Sounds more like that the LP is dirty. Maybe washing the vinyl could fix that, and usually it will.

Ah, might be. I have couple of others that need washing too, so I'll get to it next weekend.
Speerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why you assume mastering is at fault here? More likely a problem with the original recording.
Luxixul Sumering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Lunar Poetry cd and I forget which tracks but there are definetly some audio errors going on there. Anyone elses CD sounds shitty in some parts? I used to think my cd was scratched and it wasnt, then I heard the same track on YT and it has the exact same audio fade.

By the way great thread! Perfect source to know if there are some errors in some pressings .
HotBlack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speerhead wrote:
Not sure why you assume mastering is at fault here? More likely a problem with the original recording.
Be it mastering or recording; the audio is missing. I am curious to know if this is present on all copies from this pressing, is it present on the re-issue? ...or is this damage to my copy specifically? It's an appeal to others with this album in there to collection to investigate and respond.

It's particularly annoying on this track because it occurs right at a shift in the songs dynamic so its very abrupt and jarring.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sepulchral Productions is an active label today so it should be no problem to contact them directly.

LAMENTATION "Grabens Symphonie" 2CD OUT NOW!
negromanzia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOL's "Domni Satnasi" repress by GoatowaRex skips - I don't remember well where (could be at the beginning of "The Nomad Heretik") - but actually the vinyl doesn't have any scratch. The skip was probably present in the master used.
AOD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice thread !!!
There are so many albums / pressings with mistakes and stuff going on...
I recognize many bad edits / clicks on several albums for example...or phase issues on some productions...it's a mess and sometimes I think that amateurs doing the jobs to save money...sad, but true.
Rotten Relics Records

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotBlack, is it a vinyl record you are talking about?

Here`s my story:
I have to mention that i always bought vinyl and i`m listening to it 24/7, at least when i am at home. So i heard LOTS of records.

I bought 2 copies of Wargasm`s Ugly DLP from The Crypt Records when it came out, for me and a friend. Since i downloaded that album in the 90s i knew the songs very well already. Spinnig the 1st copy, at song 3 (Chamaeleon) i noticed a 'break' in the middle of the song where there was no sound at all for a split second. It would have fit at this place but i knew it should not be there. So i took the 2nd copy of the records and played it, too.
It had the same break a the same time of the song. So i played my Mp3 file - no break audible. So i played the song on Youtube - no break.

To find out about this i contacted Ted of The Crypt to ask him about this and he said he will listen to his copies. He answered that his copies don`t have the 'break' at all and offered to send 2 replacement copies, which i gladly accepted. The copies he sent did not have the error at all and played the song without the pause.

I have never had a thing like that on a record where there is a 'flaw' only on some copies but not all copies of the pressing. Our guess was that there must have been some material ('dirt') on the plate when these faulty records have been pressed that eventually got removed from the pressing plate (by being pressed into a vinyl copy?). Had the error occured on only 1 copy i would not be as surprised, but i have 2 copies with the identical error that seems to be gone on most other copies of this record. I kept the faulty record. Thanks again Ted!

Anyone experienced anything similar?? Anyone have another explanation for this?
Fenrirsson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

negromanzia wrote:
SOL's "Domni Satnasi" repress by GoatowaRex skips - I don't remember well where (could be at the beginning of "The Nomad Heretik") - but actually the vinyl doesn't have any scratch. The skip was probably present in the master used.

It came from the master I supplied. The reissue of the album was ripped from the original vinyl.
AOD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenrirsson wrote:
negromanzia wrote:

It came from the master I supplied. The reissue of the album was ripped from the original vinyl.

...and there was no way to rip that track again or get another copy to work with ???
I would NEVER send a master with a skip (!!!) to a company / pressing plant...that is bad work !!!
Fenrirsson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AOD wrote:
Fenrirsson wrote:
negromanzia wrote:

...and there was no way to rip that track again or get another copy to work with ???
I would NEVER send a master with a skip (!!!) to a company / pressing plant...that is bad work !!!

You'd need to talk to the scumbag behind the label. I forwarded it to the person doing the mastering, who, to the best of my knowledge, is a professional producer/engineer who is far more proficient than I am. I had thought that given their proficiency that they would be able to remedy the error or at least that their mastering would have been rejected as a result of it by the label in question. There was no request for another rip. The label itself being an active seeker of cult and status would appear to prefer to have a release, in an inferior presentation, than no release at all.
Crasse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarot - Reflections 12", side B I think. There is a point on the record when it turns into an infinite loop and you have to move the needle.

I supose it is only my copy but I dont know how that could have happened.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: