P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Pantera
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pick your savior of heavy metal
Metal Magic
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Projects in the Jungle
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
I am the Night
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Power Metal
14%
 14%  [ 21 ]
Cowboys from Hell
14%
 14%  [ 21 ]
Vulgar Display of Power
19%
 19%  [ 27 ]
Far Beyond Driven
19%
 19%  [ 27 ]
The Great Southern Trendkill
22%
 22%  [ 32 ]
Reinventing the Steel
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 141

Frozen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilenceEater wrote:
Back in the 90's Pantera was the only metal band with any kind of mainstream visibility that had any authenticity.

Which is exactly what made Pantera a real metal band.
Vanitas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerrTreblinka wrote:
Otherwise, this band should be despised for pretty much creating mallcore (though one could make a case for Metallica's Master of puppets)

Is this real? Yesterday someone saw a SYL video and said "The morbidly obese drummer constantly doing stick flips was hysterical". That was Gene Hoglan, for fuck's sake.

So many black metal vndergrovnd lords.

Last edited by Vanitas on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilenceEater

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanitas wrote:
HerrTreblinka wrote:
Otherwise, this band should be despised for pretty much creating mallcore (though one could make a case for Metallica's Master of puppets)

Is this real? Yesterday someone saw a SYL video and said "The morbidly obese drummer constantly doing stick flips was hysterical". That was Gene Hoglan, for fuckin' sake.

So many black metal vndergrovnd lords.

There are so many inaccuracies in HerrTreblinka's post we'd need an entire thread to address them all
Nightvvolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PANTERA

Neon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
Young people (young in terms of being young today lets say) have no idea who Pantera is or was, they have a whole new horde of terrible noise to call music and declare a state of defiance to their parents with. The people that are mostly commenting on Pantera here are long term members of this forum and are all 35 years of age and up I am betting. Laughing

Fair enough in regards to this forum, but many of the younger metalheads today seem to have a pretty "open-minded" attitude which encompasses everything from Pantera to Mutiilation to...90s metalcore.
Fork Tongue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of this also stems from Pantera going from glamming it up to tough guys but really the glam stuff was pre Phil although they still dressed as such on Power Metal. Power Metal is essentially Judas Priest worship and great JP worship at that. Say what you want about Anselmo but his love for real underground metal has always been there and he continues to share underground bands with people. They switched it up through his influence not because of a trend. There was no trendy metal at that point in time. In the mainstream, metal had been taken out behind the farmhouse and shot in the head. Pantera opened that door back up and maintained real metal authenticity.

The mallcore thing is ridiculous. Pantera certainly influenced a lot of those bands but they did it through their popularity not through the musical style. They often get lumped in with Groove but really how much groove did they have post Vulgar Display of Power? Far Beyond Driven has barely any melody and Trendkill has even less. One of the few, maybe only, bands that have got heavier and less melodic the more popular they got.

And 101 Proof is their best album.

Also, the first Down album is arguably in the mix for best metal vocal performance of all time.
Tollwut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points by Fork Tongue...

Why have the first Pantera albums actually never been re-released properly? At least "Power Metal" would be great, as it is huge step from their first three albums and still maintains a more classic Metal style compared to later albums. A real "riff orgy" so to say.
Ough

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork Tongue wrote:
One of the few, maybe only, bands that have got heavier and less melodic the more popular they got.

A very excellent point that I feel most people fail to recognize. An undoubtedly impossible feat in todayís popular music culture.
deceiver24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always been curious if they were so ashamed of their first four albums why didn't they change their name when they went tough guy? Legit question. If they rereleased the first four I'd check them out for sure.
Vanitas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ough wrote:
Fork Tongue wrote:
One of the few, maybe only, bands that have got heavier and less melodic the more popular they got.

A very excellent point that I feel most people fail to recognize. An undoubtedly impossible feat in todayís popular music culture.

I think Ministry, up to Rio Grande Blood, falls into the same category.
PeterVenkman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deceiver24 wrote:
Always been curious if they were so ashamed of their first four albums why didn't they change their name when they went tough guy? Legit question. If they rereleased the first four I'd check them out for sure.

They had a diffferent singer for the first three, Phil came in and brought a harder edge, Power Metal was the transitional album.
ditmasduke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deceiver24 wrote:

Because the internet wasnít yet invented so it was pretty easy to hide your past.
Ough

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also letís not forget Phil and Seth did VJ covers when anal cunt opened for pantera. Something I think even the most dismissive users of the forum should at least appreciate Laughing
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditmasduke wrote:
deceiver24 wrote:

Because the internet wasnít yet invented so it was pretty easy to hide your past.

Not sure they were ashamed of it. Hair metal was quite popular at one point... no one ever heard of Motley Crue here I suppose? ...its just like the happenstance no different today still, certain fads come and go and of course its natural to take interest in new directions for any artist. Numerous bands have shifted their styles, some get applauded for it and others recieve grief for it apparently.

Is it stupid for someone to artistically shift simultaneously between Armour and Satanic Warmaster? ...yet be the same individual.

Pantera made a hell of a impact on the scene, they perhaps crafted the style and sound borrowed from a few other things like the band Exhorder for example ...but Pantera escalated it and paved that road with it blowing open the scene for many others to come after good or bad or whatever.

This band crushed and killed when I was 20. Now at 40 to me this is history and a band that existed during a time when I was young and it was crushing heavy metal at the time that was pretty damned good... its still no Black Sabbath though apparently as that band simply never grows tiresome regardless of age.
Laughing
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:

Pantera made a hell of a impact on the scene, they perhaps crafted the style and sound borrowed from a few other things like the band Exhorder for example ...but Pantera escalated it and paved that road with it blowing open the scene for many others to come after good or bad or whatever.

They took the sound of Exhorder and elevated it to new heights. I still think Exhorder should have got more credit but like Kyle said in an interview "Pantera worked harder and deserved it."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 12 of 17

Jump to: