P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

How did you get into Metal?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GnosticPoison

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: How did you get into Metal? Reply with quote

So I was thinking about this earlier and it made me curious. How exactly did you end up getting into metal? When I say ĎMetalí Iím talking particularly about the underground variants, such as the kind worshipped here. Iím particularly interested in hearing from some of the older users. Users who were around when underground metal really was UNDERGROUND and still perceived as something counter-cultural / subversive / dangerous. In an age without fast internet, social media, YouTube and all the other trappings of this digital Hell we find ourselves in. Of course Iím well aware of the tape trading scene / classic zines - but I suppose my question is more along the lines of ĎHow did you become aware of these things?í as they, in and of themselves, require some kind of insider knowledge.

In my case (Iím 28, so no kvlt tales of tape trading / scene fraternising to report here) I remember hearing pop bands when I was in first school and thinking ĎHuh, I guess if this is all there is to music then I guess Iím not really a music fan.í It took until I was reacquainted with an old friend in high school (Around age 12 / 13) who introduced me to stuff like early Metallica / Megadeth / Slayer etc

Iíd be lying if I said Pantera (Particularly Phil Anselmo - Yes, I know heís a metal jock dickhead and Pantera suck etc - We all liked shit things at one point) werenít influential in my discovery of bands like Beherit, Venom, EHG etc. After that - whilst in uni - I was introduced to an awesome record shop in Newcastle (UK) called Beatdown (Go here if youíre ever in toon) and the rest is history.

TL;DR - How did you come to listen to all this shit?
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well young man, science was not around yet so we had the moon, a candle, and some skulls. The wind carried our voices and the devil heard our call. Watain then arose and gave us the song... we played it and we then realized we were culting and black metal was for us.

Science and even jesus couldnt stop the mystical music and so our collections grew... and many colors were added throughout the years.

Deep, very deep... truly deep in the real underground our many sided dice still lay dormant, they are the tools that will one day slay the false one... and its mp3

Hail Buffo!
crystalspeed

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
... and many colors were added throughout the years

Laughing
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another sacred underground limited demo 7" grimoire of devil magicks its been rumored that the heavy foot step of the mighty Buffo created the concept of drums!

...but to find this gem on discogs one must first unravel the riddle of sound.

Only a rare group of original demo tapes contain the key words to this mystery.... and they were lost in the mail decades ago.
214N10

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a similar thread somewhere. ive been exposed to death metal without knowing what it is except hearing an excruciating noise back in 2003 or 2004 in an internet cafe, on a mirc hub where people shared music from any genre, have been easily to tell and avoid what was pop and latino from the name and download everything else during the long-night package. those are the years that shaped my non existent knowledge in music. to download a song it took forever and if happened to suck then i had no choice than to listen it or go with the cafe latino playlist. as i recalled over the years, what was once posted was death metal, i gave it moments before inflicted pain on tympanum and deleted it immediately. that was that, ive become obsessed with hearing that again, i still can't stand death metal to this day, but was the gateway to mirc rock hubs and odc rock hubs where i found nightwish and rhapsody that went hand in hand while playing counter strike 1.5, but i shortly became in the need for more extreme stuff so after a short walk thru the heavy metal classics i found a guy on odc with the shared folder composing a black metal monument so i begun, in short time ive gone to local rock concerts and traveled to capital for the few metal concerts that were organized back then where i purchased my first (sort of) black metal record, theatres des vampires - bloody lunatic asylum, vampires back then were the coolest thing, i still like dances with satan but is too cheesy nowadays. several seconds of insupportable noise from death metal combined with the shittest pair of headphone ever created changed my life.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long, long ago a young man would have to leave home to play video games at dingy place called the arcade. The walls were adorned in these mystical images of bands and metal and rock music filled the air... it was no big deal to be 13 and enjoy publicly that ciggarette either... perhaps it was here the devil whispered his name for this was also a time rock and metal was about the devil, women... and booze. Nay a song about veganism or protecting forests from plastics existed and we all knew our gender identity too.

This was the path laid bare to music in those days.
Insalubriousnecroticism

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late night music video programmes in the 90's.
214N10

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
Long, long ago a young man would have to leave home to play video games at dingy place called the arcade. The walls were adorned in these mystical images of bands and metal and rock music filled the air... it was no big deal to be 13 and enjoy publicly that ciggarette either... perhaps it was here the devil whispered his name for this was also a time rock and metal was about the devil, women... and booze. Nay a song about veganism or protecting forests from plastics existed and we all knew our gender identity too.

This was the path laid bare to music in those days.

that sound like awesome times, when people still used to fear the devil and spray chemicals to clean the house and interrupt the evolution on what has become our ancestors.
back to the aforementioned years at 20:00 the streets were empty, it was a the time when on the main tv channel was running a 'new' 80' american action movie, and after it finished the people gathered to discuss it, sad and poor times but great movies.

Last edited by 214N10 on Tue May 22, 2018 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Instinct

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late 80's skateboard magazine 'RAD' did album reviews, I read them not knowing any of the bands, one of which was for 'Feel Like Shit/Controlled By Hatred' by S.T. which intrigued my 11 year old mind enough to ask my Mother if she'd buy me the album on cassette, from our local record shop, which she did without hesitation. Before this time I'd only heard 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' which my Father owned, at the time of course it was just music I enjoyed, no idea of genres or context.
Ough

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long story short I started going to Christian metalcore shows like Underoath and then I got a little bit more secular with shit like BTBAM and The Red Chord. Then I got super into slam, tech and brutal death metal. Then I learned something about the real shit about Mercyful Fate, Iron Maiden etc. now I just donít give a fuck if it sounds good Iím in

RENEGADE MUSIC SPIRE: http://nghtrhthms.com
astralprison

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was raised on Hendrix, Scorpions, and Judas Priest. At least those were the bands that my dad listened to a lot that I actually took to. Later as a teenager I got into hardcore punk, metalcore, death metal, and grind via a coworker at my first job (a shitty diner restaurant), then I basically went nuts looking for the most unlistenable nasty shit I could find. Lots of goregrind, brutal death metal, noisecore, anything EXTREME even if it totally sucked. So long as it sounded like shit I was into it. Laughing

Eventually I calmed down and developed something resembling a decent taste in extreme metal I guess. I still listen to a lot of heavy metal too.
Endsieg

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

properly.

i.e. not via the internet.
Deviant

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
Well young man, science was not around yet so we had the moon, a candle, and some skulls. The wind carried our voices and the devil heard our call.

Hahaha, that made me spill my coffee.

Call me an old fuck all you want, but i just can't relate to all these internet stories and i really pity you youngsters for missing out on the pre-internet magic. I got into Entombed, Mayhem and Dismember by buying Projections of a Stained Mind in 91. I was 13 at the time, so needless to say i was blown away. I already heard Venom and Bathory but this was on a whole other level. Don't get me wrong, i worship them both, but they aren't exactly "underground". I didn't really get into "modern" Black Metal until i bought the Burzum debut the following year. I mean, i had heard Mayhem but was disappointed with Deathcrush after hearing Freezing Moon on the POAST comp. I can rant all day on what a fucking let down Attilas vocals on DMDS was. Nowadays i think it's pretty much a perfect record, but the 16 year old me really didn't want some hungarian drunk chanting in my Black Metal. I was a troubled youth, so the local social workers used to take us kids on road trips to the nearest big city, where i found a record shop that had loads of zines, and i spent more money on buying zines than records as i realized that i maybe would'nt get a chance to buy more in a forseeable future. Can't remember them all, but among them were Mortician Mag, Occult Grinder, Mutilation and Slayer Mag. In retrospect i feel real lucky for finding such high quality mags. After that, my life was pretty much ruined and here i am, 25 or so years later, still trying to find new stuff.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hidden38

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lived in gang infested territory growing up and adopted metal as the soundtrack to my living nightmare. My gateway band was Deicide.
Karlskrone

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early 90s with GNR, Metallica and Slayer, also listened to HC and Punkrock for a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: