P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Dissection - The Somberlain vinyl reissue on Black Lodge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Dissection - The Somberlain vinyl reissue on Black Lodge Reply with quote

How's the sound on this new reissue? Presentation? Any US distros getting copies?
Let the pain always stay with you
Mortado

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dissection - The Somberlain vinyl reissue on Black Lodge Reply with quote

TheDark wrote:
How's the sound on this new reissue? Presentation? Any US distros getting copies?

From Discogs https://www.discogs.com/Dissection-The-Somberlain/release/11227973

"Unless you're a completist, avoid this release! Different qualities in sound and volume on the two sides. Very weird that they let this pass, obvious how little they care..."

I have the 2 LP "Ultimate Edition" version from 2006, pic lp from 2013 and the split blue/black from 2014. The 2LP version sounds the best to my ears.
Lutz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the tracklisting... 31+ minutes of music on side A and 14 minutes on side B (for no good reason whatsoever) Laughing
Probably sounds like crap.
K.D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Look at the tracklisting... 31+ minutes of music on side A and 14 minutes on side B (for no good reason whatsoever) Laughing
Probably sounds like crap.

Man.. does that sound like a terrible idea or what..
Vapula

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly OT but does anyone know about the Past Is Alive getting a vinyl edition? I saw it on High rollers latest email this week but couldn't find out any information about it.
Teivel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side A is more than twice as long as Side B and the beautiful original art is replaced with the band logo over a black background. What the hell kind of crack were they smoking?
nok
banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my copy last week and it sounds fantastic. I didn't even notice the time discrepancy at first but I don't care because it sounds great.
Dread Records

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nok wrote:
I received my copy last week and it sounds fantastic. I didn't even notice the time discrepancy at first but I don't care because it sounds great.

Can you compare this to the version The End Records put out years ago?
nok
banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I can't. I do have the Storm of the Light's Bane pressing on The End and it sounds fantastic as well.

I think subconsciously people will assume this new Somberlain is shit because of the play time on Side A, but the sound quality is really good.
THF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have serious doubts that Black Logde has any rights.
This should probably be considered as a bootleg made only to make as much money as possible. They have put minimum effort into this release.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nok wrote:
I think subconsciously people will assume this new Somberlain is shit because of the play time on Side A, but the sound quality is really good.

They’re going to assume it is shit because the generally recommended maximum play-time for a single side of a 12” vinyl at 33 rpm is about 22 minutes. This record is half again as long, meaning there are probably significant issues in the inner grooves.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Lodge are rip offs- they are using the old excuse of having made a previous shitty pressing on cd, to pretend they officially have a right to do a vinyl repress in addition to that one (and again with the same shitty cover). Avoid the release and the label.
nok
banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
nok wrote:

They’re going to assume it is shit because the generally recommended maximum play-time for a single side of a 12” vinyl at 33 rpm is about 22 minutes. This record is half again as long, meaning there are probably significant issues in the inner grooves.

Meh. I've heard records with 18 minutes on one side that sounded like shit and I've heard records with 30 minutes on one side that sound fantastic. Length per side is one of many factors. This album sounds great, both sides. You should at least listen to a copy before passing judgements instead of assuming you know things because one piece of data doesn't fit your criteria for a quality sounding record.
FactaLoquuntur

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like shit compared to the The End Records version. Sold it instantly.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nok wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:
nok wrote:

Meh. I've heard records with 18 minutes on one side that sounded like shit and I've heard records with 30 minutes on one side that sound fantastic. Length per side is one of many factors. This album sounds great, both sides.

People are already noting that Side A is much quieter than Side B and, as a result, they have to turn up the volume, revealing more surface noise.

Quote:
You should at least listen to a copy before passing judgements instead of assuming you know things because one piece of data doesn't fit your criteria for a quality sounding record.

I’ll pass, thanks. I have the repress by The End.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: