P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

NOLA & Rochester, NY... any tips?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kuravilu



Joined: 08 Jan 2007
Posts: 379
Location: Valdivia. In CHILE you know!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: NOLA & Rochester, NY... any tips? Reply with quote

I will spend some days on both cities and I would like to know if you can share some info about record stores that could be of interest...

Thanks! Wink
_________________
Hellthrasher and proud!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DESECRATOR777



Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 1767
Location: satan island, ny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you got to rochester ny check out house of guitars. they have some cool lps/ tshirts and of course some really killer axes!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GoldenBull



Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7006

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, NOLA is in pretty bad shape for record shops. There is a place on Decatur street (in the quarter) that sells a lot of used vinyl but there is rarely any metal there and the prices are retarded.

As far as other stuff goes, you should be on the lookout for good shows, some places to try are the Howlin Wolf, the Circle Bar, etc...

If you want a great place to drink try Saturn Bar, it's in the 9th ward but it is not dangerous...

And, I guess, if you need other advice PM me. I have lots of NOLA spots.

(my wife is a native)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
speedeathrash



Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 406
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rochester is not too bad.

I found House of Guitars a shambling waste of time. It is cool to gaze up at the old metal shirts and LP's, but I wish they were for sale. Trying to even look for an LP in there is such a painful dissapointment.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest going to the aptly named Heavy Metal Records in Rochester NY. Google it, you can easily find the address and directions. Loads of old and new Metal LP's, tapes, bootlegs, shirts, cd's, DVD's and other stuff. They only sell Metal. Keep your eyes peeled for the "5 Dollar" bin. I scored records from that bin for 5 dollars that were major steals....

Recommended!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
carnal sadist



Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 221
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I grew up in New Orleans and left a few years ago. The only places I can think of that are still around are The Mushroom (VERY small metal stock.) Kulture Vulture in the Quarter had some as well. If you can catch a show out there, a lot of people set up distros. Also, if you venture out towards The Hi-Ho Lounge...go armed and protect your valuables. The 9th ward is no joke.
_________________
http://csp.circleofdestruction.net
Carnal Sadist Productions

http://malignstudios.circleofdestruction.net
Malign Studios (Artwork and Layouts)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
CraiGORE



Joined: 16 Sep 2007
Posts: 904
Location: Buffalo, NY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Buffalo instead and get drunk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kuravilu



Joined: 08 Jan 2007
Posts: 379
Location: Valdivia. In CHILE you know!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in NOLA in 1998. I have a great time there, the food was really good (jambalaya, shrimps, etc), Abita beer was nice, Dixie not so good but was part of the city history... fishing on the swamps, and I even went to a PAGE/PLANT concert!!!

Sure must have some more to explore... thanks for the help. I will contact you when I get a more clear schedule of my trip.

GoldenBull wrote:
To be honest, NOLA is in pretty bad shape for record shops. There is a place on Decatur street (in the quarter) that sells a lot of used vinyl but there is rarely any metal there and the prices are retarded.

As far as other stuff goes, you should be on the lookout for good shows, some places to try are the Howlin Wolf, the Circle Bar, etc...

If you want a great place to drink try Saturn Bar, it's in the 9th ward but it is not dangerous...

And, I guess, if you need other advice PM me. I have lots of NOLA spots.

(my wife is a native)

_________________
Hellthrasher and proud!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kuravilu



Joined: 08 Jan 2007
Posts: 379
Location: Valdivia. In CHILE you know!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedeathrash wrote:
Rochester is not too bad.

I found House of Guitars a shambling waste of time. It is cool to gaze up at the old metal shirts and LP's, but I wish they were for sale. Trying to even look for an LP in there is such a painful dissapointment.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest going to the aptly named Heavy Metal Records in Rochester NY. Google it, you can easily find the address and directions. Loads of old and new Metal LP's, tapes, bootlegs, shirts, cd's, DVD's and other stuff. They only sell Metal. Keep your eyes peeled for the "5 Dollar" bin. I scored records from that bin for 5 dollars that were major steals....

Recommended!


Thanks a lot!!!!
_________________
Hellthrasher and proud!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
deviltwin9



Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 216
Location: Upstate NY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: NOLA & Rochester, NY... any tips? Reply with quote

Kuravilu wrote:
I will spend some days on both cities and I would like to know if you can share some info about record stores that could be of interest...

Thanks! Wink

Yes, as stated earlier, check out Heavy Metal Records. It is actually in Webster, NY. Basically a suburb of Rochester. It is kind of hard to find. I'll look for the phone # for you so you can call the guy. Very small, but if you take time to look through his stuff you can find some gems. Lots of cds, minimal vinyl but decent what he does have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group