P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Trey Azagthoth - "Is The Metal Scene Close Minded?"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Molestor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misk wrote:
Molestor wrote:
I think only people with a small-town and anti-art mentality think that extreme electronic music (Gabba, DNB, etc) is a nice accompaniment to Extreme Metal or a logical listening progression.

Interesting point. I see where you are coming from, but it would be interesting if you could elaborate?

Plenty of people get into other genres after cultivating a Metal obsession in their teens or whenever. I think those who go onto genres like DnB, Hard Techno, Trance, etc tend not to be concerned with music as an art form but rather a more childish or embryonic appreciation of another form of music being 'extreme' or 'challenging'. In social environments this also usually translates to there being more women (or, perhaps in Trey's case, members of both sexes) present at events, which adds to the thrill of the 'new' genre. What's the point of getting into a scene if it won't get you laid, right???!?

People more concerned with music as a whole/art form, regardless the genre, don't usually care about boundary pushing or being 'extreme'. I think Univers Zero and Giacinto Scelsi are pretty extreme and it would be interesting to hear what Trey thinks of them.

Again, I think it's better to reserve judgement until his plans are announced, if they materialise. It could work and be worth seeing. Then again, it could be like post-debut Akercocke, spread out over two sets rather than a song.
killusion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molestor wrote:
who really thinks that newer Morbid Angel is anything other than a tour de force of instrumental prowess with a tupperware drum sound?.

this made me crack up man. its kinda true.
Mz412

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Plenty of people get into other genres after cultivating a Metal obsession in their teens or whenever. I think those who go onto genres like DnB, Hard Techno, Trance, etc tend not to be concerned with music as an art form but rather a more childish or embryonic appreciation of another form of music being 'extreme' or 'challenging'.

thats sadly to true Confused
how often i see a stupid gay running with black metal clown stuff
praising the new terminal choice or combichrist shit as "noise" or
"industrial" and such "extreme and powerfull"..hey after all its
a kind of normal techno...some may call this shit "rave"....
Evil_Invader

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLTHRASHER -l- wrote:
Trey is out of it.

crypticus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that I never hear faggy Techno/EBM bands saying, "Death Metal is great! We are hugely influenced by it!" but there's hundreds of weak, past their prime Death/Black Metal traitors sucking-up to electronic music?
Here's a short list of fallen gods who became worthless trend-hoppers:

MORGOTH
PARADISE LOST
SAMAEL
CEMETARY
ULVER
CELTIC FROST

There are many more, but they all share one thing: They all eventually come crawling back to the Metal scene for acceptance sooner or later!
Is becoming a Techno band the only way that Metal can progress?! Obviously not. These individuals are just searching for acceptance - first in Metal & once they achieve that, they seek to "expand" in order to be accepted by other more "important" scenes. Fuck them & fuck that! The reason why it is called METAL is because it isn't TECHNO, or INDUSTRIAL, or RAP, or DANCE! As you can see, each of those have different names because they are different things! Why don't vegetarians just start eating meat - but still be considered "vegetarians"?
I mean, c'mon! How close-minded of us to say that someone who eats meat isn't a "vegetarian", right? If I want to listen to other genres I will on my own accord, I don't need some over-the-hill Metal apologist to "help" me by slowly upping the dose of sell-out in his music to try & persuade me to try something outside of Metal! I listen to many different genres, but when I want Death Metal - I WANT FUCKING DEATH METAL GODDAMNIT!

Extremely Fucking Metal & Close-minded to the Max,
-Patrick
HELLTHRASHER -l-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can on add Repugnant on that list?

Can't imagine if Chuck was still around, he'd back up Trey and his 'closeminded metal head' rant i'm sure.
http://www.freewebs.com/metalstormzine/
OrdenSatani

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Warrior (who doesn't like to be called Tom Warrior anymore) also ranted about how conservative the Metal scene is (he especially mentioned Germany). What I don't get is how people think Metal still isn't evolving. Morbid Angel DID push boundaries, but they still played metal with albums like Blessed are the Sick. These days there are STILL metal bands that are doing something new and unique (just look at what THE CHASM did with death metal), but are STILL playing pure and untainted Metal.

Yes, for the most part everything has already been done, but when VENOM formed I'm sure none of them could imagine a band like POSSESSED, who I'm sure could have never imagined a band like IMMOLATION. It's a logical progression, and metal is extremely diverse... EXCITER sounds nothing like BESTIAL WARLUST and both are purely metal. A lot of bands sound similar, but there's still room for individuality even in Death Metal. Only an idiot can listen to GRAVE, AUTOPSY, GOREAPHOBIA, and BOLT THROWER back to back and think it all sounded the same. So I really don't see the problem here.
holgerdanske

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God loves Samael, and so do I.
brown growth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not liking electronic music does not make me closed minded, and him liking it does not make him any more open minded then I am, or any more open minded then any of with other non-metal interests. I love loads of different styles of music other than metal, especially the more out-there and experimental stuff like No-Neck Blues Band and Sunburned Hand of the Man. But I've always hated techno/dance/drum&bass/whatever the fuck gamma is/etc. and personally I think it's a pretty bad idea idea in general. Not that it really matters though - I wouldn't go to a nowadays Morbid Angel show even if I got free tickets, therefore I officially don't give a shit.
Morbid69

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is enough diversity under the metal banner to keep me happy.

During the week I can listen to bands like old Emperor, SVEST, Blasphemy, Root, Mortuary Drape, Brocas Helm, Katharsis, Pentagram, Abigor, Seance, Infester etc etc which are all diverse and exciting for me

Electronic music isn't my thing at all, aside from the odd "black metal experiment" which might be interesting. Die Festung by Paysage D'Hiver for example is great, and the old Burzum interludes.

What is exciting is when people are open minded with guitar / bass / drum / vocals and bring something new to METAL and not just slap some electronic sounds in to be "unique". Bands like Negative Plane and Misery's Omen are examples of what I find to be a breath of fresh air in metal.
Kojiri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music always supersedes musicians. This is yet another case of that.

Out of body experiences, astral projection, additional intangible metaphysical crap, it's all a part of the intrinsic creative process. Sure, he sounds like a complete fucking loon who has lost all perception of metal, but he was never a conscious creator, he was merely one of many hosts for what happened upon the world more than two decades back. A musician's mindset is on average, a fickle, fleeting thing, and most don't ever understand or retain this vision of what happens to be completely pure and utterly irreplaceable. The music dictates this, not the person.

Trade/Buy/Sell!: addo_of_nex, Black_Fire, bunyip, cannibal_riot, cursed blood, dawid, Deathammer, etdeath, wvrm
Distinguish to Kill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comments about people discovering electronic music after being into Metal made me think of Fenriz. Laughing

Slaughter wrote:
I worship his riffs and solos... But as a person he seems to be even more odd than his twisted riffs. It's okay if he's into that shit, but Morbid Angel should be kept far away from any "industrial, hardcore, terrorcore, jungle drum and bass etc DJs and groups."

I think this scenario is better than having him praising shitty bands like Slipknot and The Berzerker.

You obviously donít know about the compilation mixing Morbid Angel with The Bezerker. I havenít listened to it either, I just wanted to add that to the discussion.

The_Elite wrote:
I can remember when Ultraviolence supported The Exploited in London- it went down very well with the Exploited fans......... Laughing

Maybe because The Exploited turned to a Metal inspired sound and therefore pissed off the old fans.

Xeniteia wrote:
Devoured Death wrote:
The Laibach remixes are killer!

Especially when one reads that LAIBACH sent the job to other person(s) just to have the job done, because they lacked time, nor interest, though. Very Happy
(Source : Scatopode zine #7, April 1997, a French zine about industrial music, etc)

BTW: If anyone can provide me with other issues of this zine, especially the number 8, that would be great ! Thanks in advance !

On topic, Azagthoth seems to be truly fucked up these days. It's not that his ideas are always silly, but, in a sense he's more utopic than realistic these days...

Didnít know that.

Slaughter wrote:
Sacrilegio wrote:
I have never listened to a single work by Morbid Angel(I have Altars of Madness mp3 but I have never heard them).

What the hell?! Altars Of Madness is the greatest metal album ever. Go ahead and take a listen.

Hey, at least he has the guts to admit that in a thread about a Morbid Angel member! Laughing

crypticus wrote:
Why is it that I never hear faggy Techno/EBM bands saying, "Death Metal is great! We are hugely influenced by it!" but there's hundreds of weak, past their prime Death/Black Metal traitors sucking-up to electronic music?
Here's a short list of fallen gods who became worthless trend-hoppers:

MORGOTH
PARADISE LOST
SAMAEL
CEMETARY
ULVER
CELTIC FROST

There are many more, but they all share one thing: They all eventually come crawling back to the Metal scene for acceptance sooner or later!
Is becoming a Techno band the only way that Metal can progress?! Obviously not. These individuals are just searching for acceptance - first in Metal & once they achieve that, they seek to "expand" in order to be accepted by other more "important" scenes. Fuck them & fuck that! The reason why it is called METAL is because it isn't TECHNO, or INDUSTRIAL, or RAP, or DANCE! As you can see, each of those have different names because they are different things! Why don't vegetarians just start eating meat - but still be considered "vegetarians"?
I mean, c'mon! How close-minded of us to say that someone who eats meat isn't a "vegetarian", right? If I want to listen to other genres I will on my own accord, I don't need some over-the-hill Metal apologist to "help" me by slowly upping the dose of sell-out in his music to try & persuade me to try something outside of Metal! I listen to many different genres, but when I want Death Metal - I WANT FUCKING DEATH METAL GODDAMNIT!

Extremely Fucking Metal & Close-minded to the Max,
-Patrick

Did I miss Ulver playing Metal again?
crypticus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distinguish to Kill wrote:

I guess I did, but fuck them anyway. Bands like that always come crawling back when the "critical acclaim" dries up!
Distinguish to Kill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crypticus wrote:
Distinguish to Kill wrote:

I guess I did, but fuck them anyway. Bands like that always come crawling back when the "critical acclaim" dries up!

That is why they donít and why I included my ironic question. I agree with you, fuck them.
dead gods

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having endured "death metal" opening acts that are more unbearable than most top 40 acts, I wouldn't mind this too much. However, just the atmosphere of even the most extreme electronic stuff I listen to is completely different from metal and doesn't make the best mix. Plus, I'm sure these djs/groups would prefer big nightclubs with ridiculous bassbins to a typical shitty rock venue full of metalloids yelling at them for looking like they're checking their email.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: