P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Trey Azagthoth - "Is The Metal Scene Close Minded?"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sadovahr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asphyxiation wrote:
weird...

but what really blew my mind was the fact that he's removed his tattoo(s) - at least that demon on his right arm. maybe that's nothing new already, but I found this to be extremely strange.

like he's excommunicating his past? abolished satan and becoming a good person without these... demons in his arms???? Laughing Laughing Laughing well, either he's really fucked up or getting into that 'over 40's' type of syndrome...
bmdk666

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who fucking cares guys. It's not like he's pushing it on people, if they're not interested they won't go. It's been known forever that this guy is eccentric, I don't know why anyone is acting surprised.
Sacrilegio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually find his writing interesting. I have never listened to a single work by Morbid Angel(I have Altars of Madness mp3 but I have never heard them). My friend and I discussed this subject today, and the fact that someone else writes this and I find it in the same day is just weird.

Metal promotes elitism, especially the more you immerse yourself in the "underground." Everyone has his or her personal bias against certain forms of music, but do people get a bias from themselves or from external factors? If you listen to a type of music and don't like it, then you don't like it. I find that many people in metal(myself included up to a recent time) would blindly echo what others have stated as what is "not- cool" such as hardcore, trance, electronica, etc. I like country music, electronica, classical, and the extremest forms of metal as well as some trance, yet by many people's standards I would be "lame." Even people that are not into metal make fun of country music!
I could go on with this but I don't think anyone here is interested...
Slaughter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacrilegio wrote:
I have never listened to a single work by Morbid Angel(I have Altars of Madness mp3 but I have never heard them).

What the hell?! Altars Of Madness is the greatest metal album ever. Go ahead and take a listen.
Misk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaughter wrote:
I think this scenario is better than having him praising shitty bands like Slipknot and The Berzerker.

Certainly.

Azagthoth's argument could have been more astute, but his main point rings true. I'd much rather see bands like Morbid Angel play with Venetian Snares, Autechre, ect, than Akercocke, Malefice, and all the other shit that has supported them in recent years in London.
HELLTHRASHER -l-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey is out of it.
It's cool to be happy or whatever, but the way he's doing it is disturbing.

I just hope that techno crap he's into does not get intervened with the METAL in the new album.
and for the most part, yes, Metalheads are closeminded.
All forums and boards will note this.
http://www.freewebs.com/metalstormzine/
crypticus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it: MORBID ANGEL has now officially "jumped the shark"!
HELLTHRASHER -l-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is it's only Trey like that.
Evil D has been into his own gay stuff for years.
Pete is the only one that is still mean and strict.
http://www.freewebs.com/metalstormzine/
OrdenSatani

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Metal for me is also about self discovery. Not being sheep-like and playing "follow the leader" but rather its about being free to express one's own ideas without the fear of ridicule. If there isn't any guts involved to challenge whatever is the current accepted patterns then there isn't much in possibility for any new things to arise."

This is a great outlook on things, however, there are some lines you just don't cross. Even though Metal is an outlet for defying established boundaries, there is still a definitive essence that makes METAL what it is. Everything has a definition and a set of characteristics that define it... if this wasn't so, you could bang a dead fish against a trash can and call it metal. And no matter how much slack I cut Trey, putting some fag techno crap on is NOT metal. That doesn't mean I think Trey is a poser, and I could care less what kind of music he enjoys personally. But nothing will convince me this is metal. Yes, it defies norms, but not all norms are bad, only ones that are created on superficial and weak values and without any thought or effort put in by the individual.

I respect Trey for doing what he wants without giving a fuck what anyone else thinks, but he can not and will not ever convince me that mixing techno with Morbid Angel is METAL. I'll stick to the first three Bathory Lp's and a six pack of beer.
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crypticus wrote:
That's it: MORBID ANGEL has now officially "jumped the shark"!

ha, that's classic. I love that Trey is still so completely out there. How disappointing would it be to be confronted by the notion that some truly mundane soul created such a band and albums like 'Altars...'
Then the devil must...

http://www.blackmetalrevolution.com/preview.html
http://www.blackmetalrevolution.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/bmrevolution
Mz412

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacrilegio wrote:
I actually find his writing interesting. I have never listened to a single work by Morbid Angel(I have Altars of Madness mp3 but I have never heard them). My friend and I discussed this subject today, and the fact that someone else writes this and I find it in the same day is just weird.

Metal promotes elitism, especially the more you immerse yourself in the "underground." Everyone has his or her personal bias against certain forms of music, but do people get a bias from themselves or from external factors? If you listen to a type of music and don't like it, then you don't like it. I find that many people in metal(myself included up to a recent time) would blindly echo what others have stated as what is "not- cool" such as hardcore, trance, electronica, etc. I like country music, electronica, classical, and the extremest forms of metal as well as some trance, yet by many people's standards I would be "lame." Even people that are not into metal make fun of country music!
I could go on with this but I don't think anyone here is interested...

today there is no really trouble in listening so many kinds of mucis.
you can make some jokes about a music style but nobody really
care about what you like or what you won't like. if someone claimed
that a single music genre may be "theee only right one, blessed by
god" bla bla, he is usualy stupid. mostly music is just entertainment
also in black or death metal scene, so i don't care about what some
one see as "forbidden" to listen. the real point is, what your ideological
side, your intelligence and your behavour is, but the music is just
a little part of this. thats why i have a allergic against all this
"metal brothers and sisters"..if someone is stupid or boring, he will
be this also no matter if he listen to madonna or to burzum....

i listen to industrial noise and such over 14 years, pop music
much longer than metal, cause is always the first musci some-
one get in contact with...trey is just some years too late with
his idea to put these styles together Laughing
killusion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disco sucks
Molestor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think only people with a small-town and anti-art mentality think that extreme electronic music (Gabba, DNB, etc) is a nice accompaniment to Extreme Metal or a logical listening progression.

Esoteric were recently supported by Guapo in Birmingham. Although the two bands sound nothing like eachother I would consider that billing perfectly matched, having seen both bands live personally.

Having said that, the comment above about MA's recent London supports is quite accurate. Regardless - who really thinks that newer Morbid Angel is anything other than a tour de force of instrumental prowess with a tupperware drum sound? I've seen them live twice and certainly don't feel the need to bother going again.
Misk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molestor wrote:
I think only people with a small-town and anti-art mentality think that extreme electronic music (Gabba, DNB, etc) is a nice accompaniment to Extreme Metal or a logical listening progression.

Interesting point. I see where you are coming from, but it would be interesting if you could elaborate?
ThornCross

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to be close minded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: