P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Dead Can Dance - Dionysos (new album)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfsturm888

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:35 am    Post subject: Dead Can Dance - Dionysos (new album) Reply with quote

More than six years after the brilliant Anastasis-album Dead Can Dance are back with "Dionysos", followed by a tour across Europe in 2019.

I am a huge DCD fan and am very glad to have one of the limited tickets for one of their shows here in Europe. Can not await to see them live! Same goes for the album, the last one was a masterpiece!

Opinions ?
chich666

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To speak generally I used to think that Lisa was the 'star' of Dead Can Dance and that Brendan was just the 'backing guy'. But on the last album Brendan has absolutely come into his own and these days I much prefer his vocals over Lisa's. Perhaps than is partially a result of seeing Lisa's diva antics in London back in 2005.

I also saw them on the last album tour in Melbourne and Brendan's opening song (Childen Of The Sun) was jaw droppingly amazing. It was absolutely of 'pin drop' intensity and even better than the album version.

I'm very excited by the new album and the fact that is seems to be about a bigger album length concept, than just a collection of tracks. Hoping they play Australia again as when they played a few years back now it was something like 21 years since they played here, despite Australia and specifically Melbourne being the original home of the group.

spectrum magazine archive:
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/
translucent_nick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it,, as I love this band since the very late 80's.

In fact I was witnessed their first concert in Athens, autumn 1990 - and here's a story for you:
next day after the concert, I went downtown Athens to buy a jean jacket : the area with the clothing stores etc. is the famous flea market neighborhood of 'Monastiraki', so the main street Ifaistou, it's a rather fair crowded road.
Suddnely, I saw Lisa Gerrard with a guy from the team, acting as bodyguard or companion of shorts, and I thought "I'll go and speak to her !!!!" - I really went, and with my rather broken English of my 17yrs old self, I said to her very shyly "you were great tonight and thank you for the concert" were she responded with a very shy "thank you" - in fact I can't tell which was more shy, I or her ?
What was more amazing to me, was her glance which was like seeing through and beyond me - her appearance and the huge crowded fair road made me feel I like a was in renaissance fair or something !!! Laughing
Next couple of days I was wondering what I just lived, as it was the first time in my life that happened to speak to someone "famous" person from a well-known band Smile

I know maybe I will receive a few "cool story bro" sarcastic comments, but that's my DCD experience !!!
Misk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

translucent_nick wrote:

In fact I was witnessed their first concert in Athens, autumn 1990 - and here's a story for you:
next day after the concert, I went downtown Athens to buy a jean jacket : the area with the clothing stores etc. is the famous flea market neighborhood of 'Monastiraki', so the main street Ifaistou, it's a rather fair crowded road.
Suddnely, I saw Lisa Gerrard with a guy from the team, acting as bodyguard or companion of shorts, and I thought "I'll go and speak to her !!!!" - I really went, and with my rather broken English of my 17yrs old self, I said to her very shyly "you were great tonight and thank you for the concert" were she responded with a very shy "thank you" - in fact I can't tell which was more shy, I or her ?
What was more amazing to me, was her glance which was like seeing through and beyond me - her appearance and the huge crowded fair road made me feel I like a was in renaissance fair or something !!! Laughing
Next couple of days I was wondering what I just lived, as it was the first time in my life that happened to speak to someone "famous" person from a well-known band Smile

I know maybe I will receive a few "cool story bro" sarcastic comments, but that's my DCD experience !!!

Cool story bro! Actually, being serious I enjoyed reading that. The image of a young Lisa Gerrard walking around Monastiraki market (A place I am fairly familiar with), is quite a striking one.

The album is out on Friday, right? Can't remember the last time I was so excited for a new release. I have tickets to one of the London dates on the tour.
Teh_gei_Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a ticket to the Budapest show. It was 63€ including a bunch of service fees. Much cheaper than i expected.
Dismal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news. Going to back a ticket for them in London. Never seen them live, but I bet it will be immense.
sztorm75

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope the new album is as good as the last one
Ough

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a great group. When I saw them about 6 years ago for the first time it was bordering on a "life changing" experience. Can't wait to hear this new record!
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misk wrote:
translucent_nick wrote:

Cool story bro! Actually, being serious I enjoyed reading that. The image of a young Lisa Gerrard walking around Monastiraki market (A place I am fairly familiar with), is quite a striking one.

The album is out on Friday, right? Can't remember the last time I was so excited for a new release. I have tickets to one of the London dates on the tour.

I enjoyed reading it too Smile

I saw DCD in 2012 when they played Montreal, it was really great! Sadly there was one guy who was fucking annoying beside me, who kept on screaming "Lisa, I love you!" the whole time. I should have knocked him out hahaha
translucent_nick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chich666 wrote:
To speak generally I used to think that Lisa was the 'star' of Dead Can Dance and that Brendan was just the 'backing guy'. But on the last album Brendan has absolutely come into his own and these days I much prefer his vocals over Lisa's. Perhaps than is partially a result of seeing Lisa's diva antics in London back in 2005.

Diva antics huh?

We have come a long way from the shy & humble woman I met back in 1990 Cool
Misk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chich666 wrote:

Care to elaborate?
chich666

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misk wrote:
chich666 wrote:

Care to elaborate?

To provide context, the show was during a time when Dead Can Dance had recently reformed and were touring again, but behind the scenes it was evidently still a bit cool and stand off-ish between Brendan and Lisa.

A few memories of her at the gig included:

-: Lisa wearing this ridiculous huge canary yellow dress and strutting around the stage with something bordering on arrogance and expectation while lapping up all the applause
-: looking clearly pissed off at Brendan and band for not exiting the stage quickly enough that she could sing her solo
-: evidently insisting on something like a 70% her songs and 30% from Brendan (or at least the ones he sings on)

Nothing too huge, but enough to make it feel like it is nothing I want to associate with Dead Can Dace. From someone like Grace Jones, you would be pissed off of not getting such antics!! But thankfully none of this was on display when I saw Dead Can Dance again in 2012.

spectrum magazine archive:
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/
Arrogant Destruktor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chich666 wrote:
Misk wrote:
chich666 wrote:

Care to elaborate?

To provide context, the show was during a time when Dead Can Dance had recently reformed and were touring again, but behind the scenes it was evidently still a bit cool and stand off-ish between Brendan and Lisa.

A few memories of her at the gig included:

-: Lisa wearing this ridiculous huge canary yellow dress and strutting around the stage with something bordering on arrogance and expectation while lapping up all the applause
-: looking clearly pissed off at Brendan and band for not exiting the stage quickly enough that she could sing her solo
-: evidently insisting on something like a 70% her songs and 30% from Brendan (or at least the ones he sings on)

Nothing too huge, but enough to make it feel like it is nothing I want to associate with Dead Can Dace. From someone like Grace Jones, you would be pissed off of not getting such antics!! But thankfully none of this was on display when I saw Dead Can Dance again in 2012.

My recollection of London 2005 is a little different. They played 2 nights, one at the Barbican and one at the forum. I was at the Forum one.

Brendan had several 'solo' spots as it were including 2 new songs that were supposedly for the DCD album that never happened, which were later recorded for his 'Ark' album. However, Brendan later acknowledged that he wasn't keen on the musicians on that tour and they were mostly connected with Lisa.

Lisa has always had a certain stage presence though, like a queen at her Chinese dulcimer throne!
sztorm75

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, it leaked Laughing
Menschenmaterial

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointing album Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: