P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

MANILLA ROAD - Dreams of Eschaton 2lp
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: MANILLA ROAD - Dreams of Eschaton 2lp Reply with quote

Back in the mid 90's I first heard of the unreleased Manilla Road album from 1981, recorded between “Invasion” and “Metal”. Over several years I managed to get a couple of different dubs of this material through a variety of sources, hoping to find the best sounding version. At the time John Perez was spreading around one of the better copies out there. It boggled the mind that such a masterpiece was unreleased.

Anyway in 2002 this material was finally officially released as “Mark of the Beast”. I was very happy to see it. Sometime before that I had acquired a cassette that originated from Mark Shelton, it came from the archive of one of the owners of 80's metal label “First Strike Records” out of Walnut Creek. This tape sounded better than the official release. Over the intervening years I made a rip of this tape and spread it around a bit on the internet, most folks hearing it happy to hear a better version. But this rip has flaws since it was just transferred on my home stereo system.

I noticed in the winter of 2015 that High Roller Records announced a repress of “Mark of the Beast” as coming soon. I immediately contacted them, sending Steffen and Patrick Engel my rip. Engel informed me of some audio errors in the transfer originating from my home equipment. In due course the original tape was sent off to Germany and what came back a few days later blew me away, simply this masterpiece restored to the finest version I had ever heard. I bow before the technical prowess of Engel, who made true one of the wishes of my life: that finally I could hear this classic in the best sounding version possible, restored with the original title and with corrected running order!

Anyway it is out now and and any Manilla-banger owes it to themselves to open their wallet as fast as possible and buy a copy!! Do not hesitate.

Slightly edited from the Manilla Road Facebook:

High Roller Records has released three products:
DREAMS OF ESCHATON - 2LP, available in classic black vinyl, plus silver and clear vinyl.

This is the album you know as "Mark of the Beast" in a great sounding version

DREAMS OF ESCHATON - Double CD
On CD 1 you will find the best sounding version of what you know as "Mark Of The Beast" ever!
On CD 2 you will find the "Underground Demotape" and a newly remastered version of "After Midnight Live" (+ 1 unreleased Bonus Track).

One song:
https://soundcloud.com/high-roller-records-2/manilla-road-avatar

High Roller Press release:

Manilla Road are a legend in their own right. The band that time forgot! Without the shadow of a doubt one of the most innovative American metal bands of all time. In the late 1970's, Manilla Road practically single-handedly invented what is today called Epic Metal.
Hailed as US Metal pioneers (their debut album »Invasion« was released on their own Roadster label in 1980), the band from Wichita (Kansas) has set the trend for the current renaissance of Epic Power Metal.
The band's second album »Metal« was once again issued via Roadster Records (seeing the light of day in 1982). In 1983 Manilla Road put out »Crystal Logic« considered to be their best album ever. This led to a deal with French label Black Dragon Records.
However, not a lot of people know that in 1981 Manilla Road had recorded another album which was supposed to be following the release of »Invasion«. The long lost Manilla Road album called »Dreams Of Eschaton«, now issued in its original form by High Roller Records. The material has been carefully restored and remastered by Patrick W. Engel at his Temple Of Disharmony.
The big question is why Manilla Road decided to record »Metal« and shelving the whole »Dreams Of Eschaton« project back in 1981? “We just did not feel the recording represented the true sound of the band at the time,” remarks Mark “The Shark” Shelton. “The studio we were recording in felt that inline recording technology was the way to go with us and so »Invasion« and »Dreams Of Eschaton« were recorded using analog guitar processors more than amplifiers and speaker cabinets. The same approach was used in the »Dreams Of Eschaton« recording and when it was all said and done I did not feel like the sound of the songs or the recording represented what the music sounded like live. So we put that project to bed so to speak and started working on new recordings using amps and speakers with the volume jacked up like we did it at live shows. That is how the songs 'Aftershock', 'Time Trap' and 'Venusian Sea' were recorded. We never actually made it to the stage of thinking out a cover concept because of deciding not to release the album. So I can't say what the cover art would have looked like if we had gone ahead and released it back then.”
According to Mark Shelton »Dreams Of Eschaton« is based on a loose concept: “It's about dreaming of the apocalypse, both, the real possible one and the religious Christian version as well. But it is pretty loose and some songs just don't even relate to the concept at all.”
“Unfortunately there has never been a really good master recording of this material that survived the years,” explains Mark. “But there was a copy of the demo that was found that sounds amazingly like the original recording sounding to me as I remember it. With this newly found tape along with Patrick Engel's new mastering the quality has improved greatly from what was released as »Mark Of The Beast« on Monster Records back in 2002.”
Surprisingly, most of the songs of the shelved »Dreams Of Eschaton« album were indeed played live back in the days: “We played most of the songs live for about a year or two and then they sort of drifted off the live set list. We did play 'Avatar' in France once when the line-up was Vince Golman on bass and Cory Christner on drums with Bryan singing it. There is a youtube video of this on our Manilla Road youtube page if you care to check it out.”
So what would Mark say, does he consider »Dreams Of Eschaton« to be a full Manilla Road album, which just did not make it to be officially released in 1981, or is it rather an experiment/a collection of demos in his eyes? “I would consider it to be a bit of both,” is his straight answer. “It was a full album which was originally going to be called »Dreams Of Eschaton« and with the other songs added, which were actually recorded as demo songs, then it becomes sort of that collection that you speak of as well.“
- Matthias Mader

Last edited by doomedplanet on Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:48 am; edited 3 times in total
black aspirin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the heads up. This is mandatory material right here, and I'll be snatching it up. Really excited to hear this stuff done up like it was supposed to be.
DESECRATOR777

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Rob.

Looking forward to getting this as "mark of the beast" is my favorite MR album next to "metal".

Classic in every sense of the word classic. The only band that touches the magick of 70's judas priest. Especially on this record.
sloughfegkillers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'll be getting this ASAP as well, Mark Of The Beast is probably my favourite also.
Breathlike Violence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot wait to own this. To hear this. Mark of the Beast isn't my favorite because Open the Gates exists but it is phenomenal and singular. I'm really curious about the sound and the track order but I refuse to sample.

Does anyone know if this will be stocked anywhere stateside?
Too Dark Park

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark of the Beast already sounds good to me, so will probably pass on this.
Huldrelok

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The essential MR album that has yet to be repressed. Thanks for getting in contact with HRR to let us hear an even superior version of this masterpiece. 100% must own.

I hope someone will update this thread when these make their way to the U.S.

Last edited by Huldrelok on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
bearsbearsbears

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested to hear this. It's about time I went on another month long Manilla Road binge.

Check out my sale-thread HERE! (Updated 4/27/19)
CW Productions

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will have copies of this and "Underground" in stock soon.
WrestInPiss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Road at their best, interested to hear the new mastering compared to the first issue.
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the Gates is where I start with MR. I need Randy Foxe.

"So make no bones about it!"
Blitz
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice HRR had put a track up to sample.

https://soundcloud.com/high-roller-records-2/manilla-road-avatar

One of the speakers is broken on my pc so I cannot comment if this streaming version is an indication of what the finished release sounds like.
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CW Productions comment reminds me I should mention the "Underground" lp too. I was not involved in this in any way but I would say also another mandatory purchase. This is the previously thought lost 1979 3 track "Hermann Hill" Demo + an unreleased bonus track. This first recording of "Far Side of the Sun" on this demo is the heaviest and best version they ever recorded.
WrestInPiss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting copies of ----^ "Underground" this week, really interested to hear what they've dug up on that one myself as well!
mithrandir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: MANILLA ROAD - Dreams of Eschaton 2lp Reply with quote

WOW, THIS IS THE BEST NEWS I'VE GOTTEN ALL WEEK!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: