P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

TRUE PUNK PIONEERS, HAIL THE MIGHTY DISCHARGE & G.B.H!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flagofhate666

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kängnäve wrote:
The earliest Heresy recordings (demo, Never Healed flexi) are from 1985, and they had blast beats already. Impressive drumming from Steve indeed. I don't think Napalm Death started playing that fast until 1986 (side A of Scum).

ND Peel Sessions are fucking nuts, but that was recorded two years after that insane Heresy flexi.

Early Ripcord rules, but I don't like the later, more US sounding stuff half as much.

Yeah I bought the reissue lp with the ripcord flexi and the 10 inch on it.
into the pit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, thanks to mz412 for trading me that city baby LP. great punk rock for sure. just the way I like my punk.
Doomchild

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flagofhate666 wrote:
kängnäve wrote:
The earliest Heresy recordings (demo, Never Healed flexi) are from 1985, and they had blast beats already. Impressive drumming from Steve indeed. I don't think Napalm Death started playing that fast until 1986 (side A of Scum).

ND Peel Sessions are fucking nuts, but that was recorded two years after that insane Heresy flexi.

Early Ripcord rules, but I don't like the later, more US sounding stuff half as much.

Yeah I bought the reissue lp with the ripcord flexi and the 10 inch on it.

the RIPCORD- damage is done flexi & the defiance of power lp are the BEST!

abit str8 edge at times, but still killer for the time!

Citzens Arrest does an awesome cover of DRUGSHIT!

saluud & beers!
Reed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recently picked up the new Capitalist Casualties/HellNation split LP off of Deep Six Records.

This is probably one of my favorite Cap. Casualties recordings ever. Especially since it's got Denver's own H-Murder from Catheter slaying the drums along with these powerviolence legends.

Pick it up! It's only like $9 with shipping. Killer! Very Happy
Doomchild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes indeed my friend, a killer split!
I also can never get enough of their "Dissembly Line" LP & the MITB split 12"!!!
if you havent already, and im sure you have Reed, you must listen to old HELLNATION!!!!!!! fukin brutal!
The guy who used to run Desperate Attempt Rec.s, if Im not mistaken, used to be in this band?
Down in Kentucky.

FOREVER THE POWER VIOLENCE!!!!!!

P.S. Do you think Revenge got some influence from this old classic genre of music??? it has been around for awhile now. started back in the early 90's.
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomchild wrote:

P.S. Do you think Revenge got some influence from this old classic genre of music??? it has been around for awhile now. started back in the early 90's.

I've thought about that myself. Some elements of REVENGE sound very much like power violence. Much more metal, of course, but I see a resemblance.
3. Memes
4. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
anthares

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IXTAB wrote:
Doomchild wrote:

I've thought about that myself. Some elements of REVENGE sound very much like power violence. Much more metal, of course, but I see a resemblance.
Alwasy thought the same. Maybe not influenced but still sounds like that.
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No remorse, screw the corpse! I probably prefer G.B.H. even to Discharge.

I always thought there's more than a hint of Reek of Putrefaction in Revenge. Chaotic arrangements, pickslides, insane backing vox and all.
Doomchild

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthares wrote:
IXTAB wrote:
Doomchild wrote:

Alwasy thought the same. Maybe not influenced but still sounds like that.

yeah, even Conqueror has an ol' Power Violence vibe/influence?!

now, what bands are the Power Violence Pioneers? thats the question.
kängnäve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomchild wrote:
now, what bands are the Power Violence Pioneers? thats the question.

INFEST were definitely the forefathers. Guitarist Matt Domino coined the term "power violence" as a joke, and Eric Wood (Neanderthal/MITB) helped spread it and label a whole hardcore subgenre. The actual pioneers are NEANDERTHAL/MAN IS THE BASTARD, CROSSED OUT, NO COMMENT, and CAPITALIST CASUALTIES. The later were more of a traditional D.R.I.-like fast hardcore band musically, but were linked to that West Coast scene. It was a time when melodic hardcore and grunge were all the rage among punk kids, and there was no real interest in super brutal HC anymore (late 80s/very early 90s).
Doomchild

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, I have to agree with you.
my TOP favs have always been INFEST & CROSSED OUT!!!
very early MITB (split w/: aunt mary//pink flamingos/crossed out & pink turds in space). the rest of MITB, I worship as well, but its more noise and instrumental. fukin classic as well!
fukin worship the 12" split w/Bleeding Rectum!
used to have Neanderthal's- fighting music 7", damm! traded it years.

KEEP THE VIOLENCE & DISCORE ALIVE!!!
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CROSSED the fuck OUT!!! Totally brutal stuff, really love them. Infest also, NO COMMENT rules and needs more recognition, though they are more of a hyper fast 80s style HC band and don't have the heavyness of some of the other powerviolence pioneers.... Despise You and Hellnation should get a mention too, they were kicking around since the early 90s and are very much in the spirit of the powerviolence kings.

As for MITB, I used to have the DIYCD from them and sold it and haven't listened to them since. I need to buy it again, because I think I'd appreciate it a lot more than back then in my teenage punk rocker years.

On a side note, I can't stand most of the powerviolence bands of nowadays. That scene is a fucking joke. Too many teenagers imitating what came before. Some bands even go so far as to rip off the MITB "skull" layout style. It's so much rehash. But if there are any bands playing this style that do it well with some originality and spark, not just mindless rehash, let me know. I think Endless Blockades are good at least... of yeah, and I hate "wacky" hardcore...
kängnäve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually DESPISE YOU started out a few years later (mid 90s), but they were definitely one of the very best bands playing that genre, indeed. So hateful and sick! The fact that members lied about their true identities and made out all that gang-related shit and never played live only added to the insanity. What a band! Their Possessed cover song is so awesome... I'm a bit disappointed that they reformed, but whatever.

I hate current 'powerviolence' too (including Endless Blockade who I think are totally overrated), apart from the recent Bookburner 7" EP which floored me.

Goofy powerviolence (Spazz, etc.) was the worst.
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check out bookburner... who released the 7"?
kängnäve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bookburner EP was released by 16OH Records. The band don't have a website or a myspace, but I found this download link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: