P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

I need Vinyl Sleeves and some basic vinyl help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sacrilegio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: I need Vinyl Sleeves and some basic vinyl help Reply with quote

Well I am relatively new to vinyl(I just started buying them 4 months ago) and would like to advise. First of all, I have 33 and 45 but I know they go by another name....I think it was 7'' and 12'' but I am not sure...would someone enlighten me on this subject?

I also need some vinyl sleeves as well as sleeves for the covers of the vinyl...can anyone link me to some that are affordable?

Thanks
nexxxion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolwut

you can also kill people and animals with them
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My general understanding...

EP, 7", 45 rpm : (they are seven inches in size, and play at the 45 rpm setting generally)

LP, 12", 33 rpm : (they are twelve inches in size, and play at the 33 rpm setting generally)

You can also get 10" albums, which are measured at ten inches. They can be LP's or EP's. Played at 33 rpm usually. Wild concept.
(I hear soon the most kvlt places will do a 6.66" EP soon)

RPM is of course rotations per minute. Feel free to play either or, faster or slower. This applies to all 7", 10", or even 12" sizes.

I myself use a new sleeve every time I open my vinyl up. You see I bought a kitchen devise used to seal baggies of frozen food air tight and under vacuum, I use this to seal my vinyl in a vacuum sealed bag so that the album will last longer.

Sleeves can be found at ebay of course. Or probably any local record shops. I would guess that they are all cheap, afterall they are only plastic sleeves.
The kitchen devise at any home appliance store or Wal-Mart

I hope I have been of assistance. Very Happy

Last edited by Demoniarch on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Buried In Ohio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45 and 33 are the speeds that the record plays at. Some records play at 78 rpms but usually only really old ones. Most records nowadays are either played at the first two speeds. 7" and 12" refer to the size of the record. either 7 inches or 12 inches in diameter. there are also 10" as well. Usually people refer to them by 7",10", or 12" as the speed they are played at completely depends on how they were made. 7" can either be 45 or 33. same with 12" and 10".

as far as sleeves since you are in NA I would suggest bags unlimited. I'm sure there are others out there but this is the place I most frequently hear being mentioned. They have plastic sleeves for jackets as well as paper sleeves for records.

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/

but a word of advice. TURN BACK NOW! you have no idea how much time and money you can waste on collecting vinyl.
bornforburning

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nexxxion wrote:
lolwut

you can also kill people and animals with them

aw cmon, thats not fair. they kinda look like a pizza, but theyre usually black.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 12" single of Venom's Warhead. Playing that slower, fucking hell its heavy!!! Very Happy
nexxxion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the terms LP and EP have nothing to do with the size of the vinyl, it's not like 7"=EP, 12"=LP

Single: the term comes from single sided 7"s that were made for juke boxes in the 40ies and 50ies. later 7"s came two sided but were strangely still called singles. songs on the flip sides were generally regarded as B-sides.

12" Singles: aka 45s - came later in the 70ies and allowed for a better quality of reproduction (look up grove) -> disco!

EP: extended plays, more music than a single, but not yet an album. in official terms (charts), everything over 25 minutes qualifies as album, below that as EP

LP: long player, used as a term for albums, most likely to be pressed on 12" vinyl, CD, or mp3 download

MLP: mini-LP, a mini long play? yes, that's what they meant...

some bands have released albums that are catered for homosexuals, were the complete album spans over a set of 7" vinyls (Sorhin, Morbid Angel, Possessed and many more).
Karan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De que ciudad eres en México? Hay unos pocos lugares para bolsas en el DF...saludos!
Sacrilegio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buried In Ohio wrote:
45 and 33 are the speeds that the record plays at. Some records play at 78 rpms but usually only really old ones. Most records nowadays are either played at the first two speeds. 7" and 12" refer to the size of the record. either 7 inches or 12 inches in diameter. there are also 10" as well. Usually people refer to them by 7",10", or 12" as the speed they are played at completely depends on how they were made. 7" can either be 45 or 33. same with 12" and 10".

as far as sleeves since you are in NA I would suggest bags unlimited. I'm sure there are others out there but this is the place I most frequently hear being mentioned. They have plastic sleeves for jackets as well as paper sleeves for records.

but a word of advice. TURN BACK NOW! you have no idea how much time and money you can waste on collecting vinyl.

It is ok, I have around 16 vinyls and I only buy what I really like. I don't collect just to collect, I buy only the best. Having a job that restricts my money also does not help...

Karan, I live in Mexico City/Los Angeles. Depends on the time of year...SALUDOS!

So if I play at a record at 33 or 45 RPM it will not ruin/scratch the record? I always thought it would....

I am probably going to buy those from bagsunlimited.com when over the weekend.

Thanks to all who have helped me out with this! If you have any other information you would like to share with me please do so!
Karan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacrilegio wrote:
Buried In Ohio wrote:

It is ok, I have around 16 vinyls and I only buy what I really like. I don't collect just to collect, I buy only the best. Having a job that restricts my money also does not help...

Karan, I live in Mexico City/Los Angeles. Depends on the time of year...SALUDOS!

So if I play at a record at 33 or 45 RPM it will not ruin/scratch the record? I always thought it would....

I am probably going to buy those from bagsunlimited.com when over the weekend.

Thanks to all who have helped me out with this! If you have any other information you would like to share with me please do so!

Hola!!! Yeah, go for bags unlimited, at least they won't turn yellowish in few years...
And yes, I also collect what it really means something, I am not addicted to it, but it has taken many of my dollars and now we are in recession, so we better watch in what we spend our money...
Malder666

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oye Karan, donde puedo conseguir las bolsas en Mexico, DF?? Alguna pagina de internet? Yo soy de Campeche y por aca no venden. Saludos
Karan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola, solo en Tepito y no hay internet ni teléfono, o al menos no lo tengo...la próxima ves que vaya lo investigo...
Moonchild666

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
I myself use a new sleeve every time I open my vinyl up. You see I bought a kitchen devise used to seal baggies of frozen food air tight and under vacuum, I use this to seal my vinyl in a vacuum sealed bag so that the album will last longer.

WTF????? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cutterofgums

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonchild666 wrote:
Demoniarch wrote:

WTF????? Confused

Come on dude!!!! Even danish people can`t be that stupid Wink

Good traders:minge-eater,CR 99,Grief, bmdk666, s.charlach, Mutta, Face Fate Records, Ichor, Ancient_Tyranny, Mz412, Jesus Iglesias, passetiermes
metalmaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malder666 wrote:
Oye Karan, donde puedo conseguir las bolsas en Mexico, DF?? Alguna pagina de internet? Yo soy de Campeche y por aca no venden. Saludos

En el Tianguis de Chopo, fácil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: