P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

HORROR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ completely agreed on Salem's Lot. I watched that film when i was about 10 years old at a friend's place when his parents were out. Walking home in the dark i distinctly remember thinking 'oh fuck, i'm really scared, maybe this is why these films are just for grown-ups.'

Most fucked up film-type guy for me waa Meir Zarchi, the director of I Spit on your Grave. The fact that he shot his own wife in the centre of a horrific rape-revenge narrative is almost topped by the cameo appearance of his 2 young children at the film's end.

http://www.discogs.com/seller/Grief_Foundation
The_Elite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverend Kane from Poltergeist 2 used to shit me up when I was young.
Bestial Aggressor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grief wrote:

Most fucked up film-type guy for me waa Meir Zarchi, the director of I Spit on your Grave. The fact that he shot his own wife in the centre of a horrific rape-revenge narrative is almost topped by the cameo appearance of his 2 young children at the film's end.

Hahaha, this reminds me of Melvin Van Peebles casting his teenage son for a sex scene at the beginning of 'Sweet Sweetback's Baad Asssss song'!
Buried In Ohio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario? I did not know that.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon138 wrote:
Barlow from the "Salem's Lot" mini-series:

That dude scared the shit out of me when I was a little kid! Laughing

Read the books, THE DARK TOWER series, this particular little fellow is of a group of similar individuals.

The only movie that I recall that I kept thinking about after watching it was Witchboard. The dude with the axe mainly since we had our own Ouija board and I was always fucking with it, then I seen that movie as a kid and shortly after the board disappeared ala magic interference of parents.

I generally find horror films lousy. They all seem weak and very un-scary, more pathetic really than anything frightening. It's sad.
I would like to be freaked out by a good film.
Anon138

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a particular scene from "Salem's Lot" that gave me nightmares as a kid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcHmWLYmwgo

The expression on the scared guy's face is probably how I looked when I saw that movie at the age of 8! Laughing
Avaratoth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salems Lot creeped the hell out of me when I was a little girl, especially this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC5HZzjjI9Y

To this day I can only sleep with the curtains closed. Embarassed
Avaratoth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bestial Aggressor wrote:
Grief wrote:

Hahaha, this reminds me of Melvin Van Peebles casting his teenage son for a sex scene at the beginning of 'Sweet Sweetback's Baad Asssss song'!

Dario Argento cast his daughter, Asia, in a rape scene in The Stendahl Syndrome. Pretty fucked up.
Raven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see most of those films only recently (3-4 years), so I'm not "scared" or "afraid", but rather "impressed" by some characters. For sure, the zombie of romero, great parody of human race. And then, I'm rather impressed by "normal villains", as the 2 old sisters of "la casa dalle finestre che ridono", or the main character of nekromantik, the old woman of "profondo rosso" and so on..
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One cool screen villain in the last few years is the one from No Country For Old Men. Much better than Ledger's Joker, who no matter how dark and dangerous is still a comic book character.

It's only recently that I've become "open minded" to newer mainstream Hollywood films. A couple I didn't mind so much.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention Kinski in Nosferatu. I actually like Herzog's Nosferatu better than the 1922 film. Matter of fact, it's probably my favorite film of all-time. Somebody once described it as being like like sleep paralysis on film and it's odd that I actually did experience sleep paralysis while it was playing on the TV after I feel to sleep.

I don't know if it could be considered a remake, but I generally hate remakes and see them as pointless crap aimed for a newer and more stupid generation of people.
Evil Fifi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'll mention some of the more "popular" / "commercial" characters.
Not freaking me out, but liking the concept of the character per se and
impact he/she/it made on me:

- the girl (sadoka, or sadako, can't remember) in the first installment of the
japanese "ring".
- the thing in john carpenter's "the thing".
- the alien in the very first "alien". Another character / concept
ruined by a follow up series and hyped to death marketing.
- the shark in the first installment of jaws up until to the point where you
see it fullsize for the first time. Up to that point - perfect!

Admittedly the latter three ranking amongst my most favourite movies.
s.charlach

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:
Kinski in Nosferatu [...] I don't know if it could be considered a remake, but I generally hate remakes and see them as pointless crap aimed for a newer and more stupid generation of people.

And so is "Phantom der Nacht". Yeah, I know, each to his own and bla but Herzog's film is an incredibly feeble attempt to revive the crawling horror of Murnau's "Symphonie des Grauens" almost 60 years later imo. Nothing, literally nothing beats the original. First and foremost the whole aura of Orlok -his gestures and facial expressions- is outrageously frightening and scares the shit out of me every time again while Kinski just looks like a big, unoriented freak who really needs an appointment with Cutterofgums. I can't say what it is but Herzog seems to rush through the story without even leaving space for the horror to grow furthermore. And most importantly I love the raw charme of the original. Especially the harsh movements. Scenes like the ones when Hutter sees Orlok's carriage coming or when the coffin moves later on. Y'know? Sure, that's not a consciously chosen trick but due to the low fps, still it gives the film something wild, unnatural, almost surreal that fits the story extremely well.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't agree. I love the Herzog version. The score and how perfect it works with the opening scene of the catacombs. Isabelle Adjani during those night sequences. The plague victims eating and dancing among the rats. The moment of death for the count.

I think it's an amazing film. Don't get me wrong, I love the original film. But I'd say I like the Herzog one more.
s.charlach

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:
Can't agree. I love the Herzog version. The score and how perfect it works with the opening scene of the catacombs. Isabelle Adjani during those night sequences. The plague victims eating and dancing among the rats. The moment of death for the count.

I think it's an amazing film. Don't get me wrong, I love the original film. But I'd say I like the Herzog one more.

I knew it. It's coz of Madame Adjani. Wink

Seriously, fair enough. The film surely has some scenes that make impact but it misses something terrifying for me as a whole.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: