P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

CD rot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inverto Crosso

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: CD rot Reply with quote

I've noticed symptoms of CD rot in my digipak-versions of Impaled Nazarene's "Suomi Finland Perkele", Infernal's (SWE) mini CD and Burzum's "Filosofem". It shows as blurry white discoloration on the surface of the CD, it looks bad, but the discs still work fine.
I have never noticed cd rot on my regular, jewel case CDs, so is this somehow connected to digipaks only? Does anyone here have similar problems with those particular CDs? And is that fucken rot infection eventually going to destroy my discs?
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a few disc like this too, mostly older pressings from the very early 90's. Got a picture of what you're talking about?

I have a few discs that look like they have a film on them. Like tiny white dots/marks...it's hard to explain.
Opolus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old BATHORY "The Return......" CD did rot for good one day! I was not impressed, to say the least... Twisted Evil
Inverto Crosso

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discoloration on my CDs is similar to this photo I found from the web:

The only difference is that on my discs rot appears only in the reflective side. And it's weird it's just on digipak-CDs.
CR99

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often it has something to do with the print on the disc or the chemicals used on the CD contents. There even exist mold that eats away parts of the disc.

NIMBUS mastering from UK is known to have a lot of early CD records in their catalogue that are mostly unplayable now. I have one Killing Joke CD by them and it's discolored, but still functioning. I dont know how long it will last
throneofmight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you guys mean actual fungi or fungus over the CD surface?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inverto Crosso

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It's not on the surface, but under the lacquer-layer of the disc. You can't rub it off and it keeps growing slowly day by day. I've had that shit on my Impaled Nazarene CD for five years at least...
nexxxion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fucking Antimosh 006 CD doesn't play anymore.
I've read that factories and Phillips optimized CD prints (lacquers) until the end of the 90ies. And some factories didn't followed the specs for print colours, so they burned through the laquer protector (the "Schutzlack" on the pic below). This causes the aluminium layer to rust (oxygen).

CR99

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

throneofmight wrote:

Yeah fungus that eats the data layer. In the end you have lots of small holes, you can see it against the light.
destructSEAN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DSP version of De Mysteriis.. won't even play anymore. It looks more like a piece of Swiss cheese. I was forced to buy the Century Media version... Euronymous will strike me down with great vengeance and furious anger
nexxxion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could've bought the Voices of Wonder DSP repress with all lyrics included. That one should be good and Euronymous would approve too.
Pazuzu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1402533.stm
"Order From Chaos, this band knows how to metal and they know how to satan and they most definitely know how to arghgh. It dosen't suck dick and thats why faggots don't like them. I have entered the stillbirth machine, I suggest you cum too."
nexxxion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, but did you read the date? that's old news from 2001. philips and other factories looked into this matter...
CD rot and fungi infection happens because of a poor manufacturing process and inferior materials (chemicals from the print on the cd or chemicals from the colour of the booklet eat through the lacquer coat, or that coat isn't applied properly at all). the only material in a CD that's easy to deteriorate is the aluminium layer.

CDs don't get easily infected when they've been made properly. the fungis should have a hard time to eat through the polycarbonate.
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: cd rot Reply with quote

I have a few of the very first roadrunner R/C and Earache releases that seem to have those tiny dot's specks, or whatever, but they still play fine.
I am fortunate to have an entire room that now has great conditions for Lp's and CD's. The experts in the 80's said they would last forever. They were wrong, and it was great marketing tool, but It would really suck if some of my old century media releases, Unleashed, Samael Etc started to die. Oh well ,there's always those 2 in 1 releases century media puts out. Singing the praises of vinyl once again.
I put on Who's Next Vinyl I bought as a kid back in the 70's that now has fucked up scratches deep lacerations etc.
Plays good as new........

Slowly They Rot.....
cringeworthy, but could not pass it up
nexxxion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billion of CDs made each day and a few of them not working after 20 years is not a big deal. Vinyls deteriorate with each playback more or less, depending on your stereo...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: