P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Non Smoking Home
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Non Smoking Home Reply with quote

I'm 26 and have been a heavy smoker for half my life.

In auctions and on trade lists I always see the:

"from a smoke free home" tag.

My question for the non-smokers is, just how bad is it? Can you actually tell when an LP or a CD came from a smoker or not?
Werewolf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you see a yellow goat on Bathory's debut - it certainly belonged to a smoker Laughing
s.charlach

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
Laughing

yes, it is definitely noticeable. still it differs a lot. got records that had only a slight smell of smoke which was getting volatilised after some time, but there were also records with plague-yellowish staining to the jackets and inner sleeves and an overall stink right when i opened the parcel. guess it depends on how you have stored your records so far and how much you have smoked at home. is there a seperate room where you keep your records?
Voidhanger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Non Smoking Home Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:
I'm 26 and have been a heavy smoker for half my life.

In auctions and on trade lists I always see the:

"from a smoke free home" tag.

My question for the non-smokers is, just how bad is it? Can you actually tell when an LP or a CD came from a smoker or not?

I don't know about the damage it can cause to vinyl, but when I get CDs whose booklet smell like smoke, it doesn't bother me too much. The smell fades and disappears over time, so long as they're not visibly damaged, who cares.
GHOAT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you always can. If it is a home that is smoked in (Not a home lived in by smokers, but a home that smoked in), you can almost always smell it on whatever it is. Especially if it is clothes.

Shirts from Moribund ALWAYS smelled like smoke. The smell is always stronger to those who do not smoke. Personally, it does not bother me. I do not smoke, but I do not have a problem with it. The smell can be washed out of clothes.

The problem arises when the tar attaches itself to LP sleeves and the vinyl itself. Go to someone's home that has been smoke din for awhile and a take a picture off the wall - guarantee it will be whiter underneath.

There is a local bar/restaurant here that has been smoked in for YEARS; everything in that place is this fucking yellow-ish brown. I think it adds a nice rustic charm...
Doomchild

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the vinyls that smell like "GANJA" that are the BEST!!!

"Legalize it,... Don't Critisize it"- Peter Tosh. may he R.I.P.
darkthrash

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at first, i thought it was no big deal .. maybe kinda cool

after 100's of used records.. its defenitly gotten to me ..... the nicotine/chemicals EMBEDS itself into the cardboard, and over time, it gets this putrid smell that never goes away .. if anything, it gets worse and more pungent .. some arent that bad, and some i desperately want to throw out, but can't let go if its a good album .. the worst are the ones from heavy cigar smokers .. one whiff of that and you'll be gagging!

also, try to avoid collections that have been sitting in cellars and attics for years ... unseen mold! and more rotten smells

i actually get sick over it sometimes (head colds, ect) ... maybe im a wimp, but it really fucks with the experience for me
Bunyip

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the issue here, if it smells like smoke, death and horror, well wouldn't it inhance the listening experience? i mean you wouldn't want the smell of roses and romance as your clutching The Rack sleeve and breaking your neck to the heavy brutality would you?
Uncolored

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a bunch of 7" more than 1 year ago that still fucking smell! inner sleeves got kinda yellowish borders... grrrr of course the seller didn't mention that Evil or Very Mad

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand
Morbid69

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it smells like smoke it's no longer mint, like comic books

i remember getting some svest, cantus bestiae, christicide etc tapes and opening the package released the thick aroma of marlboros.

since that brief moment, i've never noticed it.

As a smoker I should keep all my collection in plastic wrappings so they do not attract such a tarnish, in case i end up hocking all my stuff to the ebay collectors
Evil Fifi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bad.
Being a heavy smoker myself, I moved to a new place a few
years ago. used to smoke at the old place - a lot. At the new place
I decided to refrain from doing so (still smoking, but not in the flat).
Don't want to go back. Can't stand the smell anymore, can't stand
that sticky layer of yellow nicotine anymore (affecting everything,
books, records, walls, windows...). It really does make a difference.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty rotten, when you get a record from somewhere , you open the package and get hit by the stink. Mad
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the smell fades in time? Granted it has been smoked around for years?

I know all about the yellowing too. In my old bedroom, I smoked for years and years. I'd just stay in there for days in a drug haze. Chain smoking and getting high without even cracking the window. One day I took a poster off the wall and noticed how bad it actually is. I also noticed it on some CD booklets and some jewel cases actually had a sticky yellow goo on them.

I'm asking, because I'm curious to see how terrible it is for some non-smokers. I've sold stuff in the past that was smoked around and never had anyone throw a hissy fit.

My cousin is one of those anti-smoking, obsessive personality disorder pain-in-the-asses. He's a real stickler about the smell of cigarettes, but I've never seen him refuse to take something that I've given him.

I "try" not to smoke in the house and don't really do it constantly as I used to. I also don't smoke around my collection. My sense of smell is gone after all these years, but the yellowing I can't stand. THAT is damage and to pay hard earned money on stuff to ruin it like that is pretty stupid. It also hinders your chances of getting rid of it later if you decide you no longer want it.

I've also heard smoke could effect playback on vinyl after a while, which makes sense. If it's actually staining and leaving residue on your walls, then it's doing the same to your records.

Notice I only care about the effects it has on my records and not my health, ha.
Chit019

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunyip wrote:
I don't see the issue here, if it smells like smoke, death and horror, well wouldn't it inhance the listening experience? i mean you wouldn't want the smell of roses and romance as your clutching The Rack sleeve and breaking your neck to the heavy brutality would you?

are you serious? would you lie down on a rotting human corpse while listening to carcass?
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Chit019"]
Bunyip wrote:

are you serious? would you lie down on a rotting human corpse while listening to carcass?

I'd prefer Mortuary Drape or Autopsy for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: