P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Burning issue : vinyl sound in 2008
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Burning issue : vinyl sound in 2008 Reply with quote

I have found that statement on another forum.

I am sure it will trigger many reactions :

Quote:
“Vinyl can sound better if the recording, mixing and mastering was entirely done with analog equipment and when you play the vinyl on a high end stereo. Everything else is in your mind.
What irritates me to no end are people who blab about vinyl sounding better when I know for a fact that the recording in question was done on a PC and was delivered to the plant on CDR.”
kängnäve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl sound depends on so many more factors than that (cutting, length per side, etc.)
TMA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that 11 min per side (33 rpm) is a maximum to get the best audio / volum results
Someone knows if it is right or wrong ?
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 11 minutes to perfect sound? So only maxi singles and MLP's can sounds perfect?

But anyway, its true that vinyls sounds better when source for record is analog!
www.doomzine.bandcamp.com
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people talk like a warm "vinyl sound" is lost when recorded digitally, that´s just not true in my opinion. A vinyl can be mastered for a good sounding vinyl from a CD source, it´s just a matter of EQ´s settings ! CD´s are more high frequenzy where vinyl is better for lower frequenzy ! That´s why PROCLAMATION will always sound more massive on vinyl than on CD ! Ask Techno DJ´s about this, they are master´s in arguing about this issue !

I don´t care much about it ! I notice a sound difference on some recordings, but usually I do own only the vinyl format so I rarely compare.
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weight of the vinyl also does a difference. I can't approve what this guy said though, because I am no sound engineer - but I know anything recorded digitally is compressed, no matter how high the quality is. (Analog sound waves are nice and curvy, while digital waves look like staircases). If I remember correctly though, the human ear is not good enough to hear the slight difference between analog and digital - while some other people argue that analog sounds richer and warmer. It's a debate that will never truly have an ending... especially not on a forum like this one. For myself, I like vinyls better.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think vinyl weight has anything to do with sound quality unless you're talking about thin vinyl being more prone to warping. Heavy vinyl is only good to prevent warping IMO.

The sound quality is dependant on depth and width of grooves and the actual mastering.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty sure it made a different sound-wise, but I don't remember where I read that. If I find a link, I'll post it here. You know much more about this than me in any case Laughing
Humus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it, we listen to metal, not exactly a genre for audiophiles.
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:

Best post in the thread
3. Memes
4. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
Reed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:

Laughing
A friend of mine who had gone to a sound engineering school once explained this to me. When music is recorded, it should ideally be recorded through an analog system. From there it's basically just only going to be compressed more and more with each step it takes to complete the production. Studio mastering compresses things a bit, then comes the vinyl mastering, which also adds some. Since CDs are a digital format the high and low ends need to comprable to their range. So bascially if the sound waves look like a zig zagged line; the peaks/points of those lines will be cut off. Vinyl is a remaining format where this doesn't always have to happen. The listener will here parts of the recording that they were supposed to. Things like specific dynamics (loud and quiet parts), mistakes, individual instrumentation, etc.

Hopefully that helps.
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What most people that talk about how digital is better than analogue or vinyl vs cds don't mention is the human ear. Every person has a different hearing sensitivity. So it is easy to argue why "their" format is better, what they don't take into consideration is that cd can reproduce sounds that the ear should not be listening to. So if you are listening to some white noise on the upper hearing range of 20kHZ that has been reproduced digitally, well you will notice this annoying sound. But you might not notice it much with your ear, what it can do is affect your mood, etc, what I call "digital fatigue" Some cd that are all digital physically can make me tired. I get tired of listening to it. So I turn it off. This has never in my life happened with vinyl (except when the music sucked of course I want to turn it off, haha).
Reed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomedplanet wrote:
What most people that talk about how digital is better than analogue or vinyl vs cds don't mention is the human ear. Every person has a different hearing sensitivity. So it is easy to argue why "their" format is better, what they don't take into consideration is that cd can reproduce sounds that the ear should not be listening to. So if you are listening to some white noise on the upper hearing range of 20kHZ that has been reproduced digitally, well you will notice this annoying sound. But you might not notice it much with your ear, what it can do is affect your mood, etc, what I call "digital fatigue" Some cd that are all digital physically can make me tired. I get tired of listening to it. So I turn it off. This has never in my life happened with vinyl (except when the music sucked of course I want to turn it off, haha).

Good point. I know what you're talking about.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there is any noticeable difference between how albums like Hail of Bullets' debut or late Destruction albums (that have the typical digital PLASTIC sound) sound on vinyl and on CD?
George

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Is there is any noticeable difference between how albums like Hail of Bullets' debut or late Destruction albums (that have the typical digital PLASTIC sound) sound on vinyl and on CD?

Probably not, since that's more of an issue of the actual tones recorded and type of production value the band's were going after.

I have a CD of the new Primordial album and that has a really nice warm sound. Makes me want to track down a vinyl version to see how it plays on that format.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: